honda transmissions bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of buying a new or almost new odyssey but I keep seeing references in some bitog post of problems with honda auto transmissions. can someone refer me to someplace i can get more info on these supposed problems?

Thanks.

r.

Honda had problems with the Accord line, 4 speed automatics. It was the 5th and 6th generation lines. Honda has issued out a warranty of up to 100K for transmissions only for 98,99,00 and 01 models. I haven't heard much about the new 5 speed transmissions except that in the beginning, they had lubrication problems for some of the gears but they have a dealer fix for it.

Check out www.odyclub.com for a nice friendly site. People there seem to think the Ody has a transmission problem, but according to Consumer Reports it is less than 2%. I have a 2001 w/70k on it, and it has been great. Just like this site, some of the people go overboard when there is a reported problem, and talk like all of the vehicles will be hit.... It seems to me that all minivans have some problems with the tranny, possibly because the configuration causes them to run hot??? A tranny oil cooler might be a good idea. My BIL had a Chrysler and had to replace the tranny three times. Ford had troubles with the Windstar....it is all relative IMHO. The van drives nice, has good power, and good mpg for such a heavy vehicle. It is my first minivan and it is so practicle I can't imagine getting by without one, and we've been emptynesters for a long time.....

Also edmunds.com. I remember that there was a bad batch of Ody transmissions about two years ago, but believe that the problem has been fixed.

There was a relatively major issue with the Acura Automatics not too long ago. 2002 TL's? Not entirely sure. Wasn't that the same transmission in the Accord ATX's? Something about the 3rd gear not getting any lubrication. They either replaced the transmission with a newer model, or retrofitted a fluid sprayer into the existing one.

Honda makes some excellent MTX's though...if you've never learned, check out the honda ones...silky smooth I hear.

And ya, dedicated forums always post problems, rarely do they post compliments on a vehicle. Those type of posts are usually discouraged, as it clutters the forums and prevents effective troubleshooting. Its "assumed" that if your a member of the forum you absolutely love your car.

Thus there will always be a very heavy bias towards problems on dedicated forums, especially if its a single car model specific.

Relative works at large Honda store in service dept, autos in Honda cars are not bad but avoid Ody's, Pilots and MDX's. He sees far too many with major problems the last 5 years.

quote:

Something about the 3rd gear not getting any lubrication. They either replaced the transmission with a newer model, or retrofitted a fluid sprayer into the existing one.

3rd gear clutch pack was made of inferior materials and would come apart, clogging the fluid passageways starving the tranny of fluid and then killing it.

They are in the process of replacing the affected units.

There was another seperate issue where the transmissions for these vehicles wouldn't get enough lubrication for 2nd gear and would overheat causing discoloration (heat stress) or the gear would fail (chip or break teeth). They would inspect the transmissions on a lift through a service port and replace the unit OR add the sprayer. I believe honda is trying to trick people into believing that the transmission problems are behind them. I don't believe it.

I have heard the same thing about Ody. ATX's on other sites, i.e www.honda-tech.com

I have a MTX in my Accord and a big difference between that and the one I had in my Ranger. Honda MTX are super nice.

ody's is what I was intersted in. Thanks for the input. Maybe the best course is to make it a barganing point and see if I can get some kind of guarantee from the dealers. yes I know, but its worth a shot. Thanks again. Good information
r.

There are many posts about transmission problems with the Odyssey. Since 1999, there have been a 4 speed auto used through 2001 and a 5 spd auto used from 2002-2004. The warranty was extended to 100,000 miles on the 1999-2001 but not later models. Both have problems.

Here is just one thread about 2002-2003 transmission problems on odyclub.com.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showt...26fcee&threadid=10818&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

26% voted "YES" to "Has your '02 or '03 Odyssey had tranny failures." Hard to know haw many do have problems but do not be fooled, the Odyssey does have transmission problems.

There is an oil jet recall to prevent overheating and breaking of a tranmission gear. An oil jet tube is added from the transmission cooler to the oil fill hole to direct oil to one particular gear.

It is clear that the majority of problems with the transmission have nothing to do with the problem which is addressed by the oil jet recall. Problems might show up as slipping, not shifting or slamming into gear. The majority of problems are NOT fixed by the recall. Some think the oil jet directs oil flow away from other parts of the transmission and increases failures.

Fortunately, problems are less serious than in the Acura TL.

Good idea to use this history to bargain down the price.

I heard they used the oil fill hole for the oil jet in the fix. How are you (the owner) supposed to change your fluids after that? Is it easily removable?

How to fill with the oil jet? Either remove the oil jet or use a tiny funnel and fill through the dipstick tube. Since the dipstick tube was not designed as a fill tube, it is much smaller than usual and it takes a very small funnel.

In my opinion avoid imports. Their auto tranny's are second rate. GM's drivetrains are legendary. Look at the military Humvee:GM Turbohydromatic. Hard to argue with their toughness. I once shifted a TH 350 into reverse at 80 mph just to see what would happen.(Youth!) Smoke and lots of it from the tires. After I got the engine restarted and my composition restored, everything about the automobile except the tires was fine. I say you can't do that to any import expensive or otherwise and drive away. Rickey.

^ you are comparing apples to oranges.

the transmissions that GM supplies to BMW (3 series) are crap. what does that have to say about GM?

GM also makes an excellent FWD transmission. I asked a transmission shop mechanic before I bought the 1993 Cavalier how the autos hold up and he said that GM makes the best FWD transmission regardless of price. BTW the 1993 had 150,000 miles on it when I sold it and no transmission issues. Fluid and filter was changed every 30,000 miles.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
I heard they used the oil fill hole for the oil jet in the fix. How are you (the owner) supposed to change your fluids after that? Is it easily removable?

Through the dipstick tube, which makes it just like almost all other cars
shocked.gif
Horrors
grin.gif

Not that bad, a small ended funnel will do it, did a trans oil change on my Pilot a few weeks ago. It's only a little over 3 quarts that you can get out.

I don't know about the Ody, but my Accord had a tiny little dipstick hole that was in the middle of a bunch of stuff around it. It would take a pretty small funnel and a lot of patience (and clean up) to get the fluid in there. Doesn't sound impossible, but certainly not pleasant. The cars that are designed to use the dipstick tend to have larger dipstick tubes (~1/2" or so dia.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back