Honda Toyo Roki cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finaly got around to cut open a Toyo Roki filter, but do to my budget constraints I cut open a used filter. I really wanted to see the difference between the Hodna Fram filter and the TR. Honda part number 15400-PLC-004.

The Toyo Roki made Honda filter before pics/discussion.

The pics:
 -

-

-

-

-

I was a little surprised to not see metal endcaps, they look glued together with a filter type material on top opposed to the cardboard fram. The bypass valve does look much imprved over the Fram filter. Total amount of filter surface area looked the same between the two.

Fram to compare

-

What do you guys think of the filter?

That Toyo Roki looks just like the cheap Frams many posters have cut open. And it doesn't look anything like the Toyo Roki oilcanboyd has linked to. To answer your question, I don't think that particular filter is made very well and wouldn't purchase anymore with that part number.

That looks exactly like the Fram, can you take a picture of the canister for us to see where it was made?? -Joe

-

-

I agree, it does look very close to the Fram filter. But the endcap is made of the same material as the filtering element and uses a spring bypass valve instead of the usual Fram desighn. Would the endcap material make a "huge" difference?

Also this filter was used for 7500 miles.

The very last picture with the yellow sighn is of a Fram.

Isn't it odd that Honda, a company roundly identified in the public's mindset with quality, doesn't appear to be concerned with the idea of paper/cardboard endcaps? Do we know something Honda doesn't? Or, could it be the other way around? (This is NOT a plug for Fram. I'm merely exploring the other side of this debate.)

I like Fram's bypass valve design. The valve and spring assembly are out of the core where they would impede flow. The Wix also has this feature.

From the pictures, it looks like that filter is good for another 7500 miles. Are there any indications from first person examination that this is not the case, aside from the casing being cut off
grin.gif
?

That filter DOESN'T look ANYTHING like the cheap Fram filters put out under the Honda OEM brand.

That filter is an EXACT duplicate of the FilTech Honda OEM filter (or the Filtech is a dupe of the Toyo Roki).

Look here:

http://elabfcsvrt.fdu.edu/bartsch/Prelude/HondaPreludeOilFilters/

You'll note that I've got the Filtech A01 and the Fram A02 filter pics there.

Note that the A01 and the A04 (one cut open in this thread) look exactly the same.

Gerhard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back