Honda SUV Engine-Failure Reports Spur Federal Investigation Into 1.7 Million Vehicles -WSJ

Calling an engine that won’t start an engine failure is a bit of an embellishment on the writers.
Supposedly the vehicle looses power at highway speed because of an AWD issue. The "not starting" article posted by Trav as something else all together.

Last edited:
That second article is a failure of the engine automatic stop/start system. Not an engine failure. Automatic stop/start always seemed like a bad idea to me. Unnecessary wear on components with no real benefit.
2-3 percent in fuel savings. Larger the engine the greater the savings.

Doesn't appear to be an engine issue.

...and from this article, as you mentioned, not an engine issue but an AWD system failure.

Also in that article:

"This is the second major NHTSA-Honda investigation in 2022. Earlier this year, the agency opened a probe involving around the same number of Honda CR-Vs and Accords. Owners of those vehicles reportedly experienced unexpected automatic emergency braking action when there was nothing in the vehicle’s path. NHTSA said six of the 270 reports it received resulted in minor injuries. That investigation is still ongoing."

270 reports of this issue from earlier this year is hardly an emergency. But we'll wait and see what these investigations discover.

I see Fords all the time in traffic cranking and cranking while everyone else has moved on. Had a brand new F150 next to me at a red light yesterday doing that.

• HMC
    +0.51%
  • HNDAF
    0.00%
  • F
    -1.20%

Ad: 0:04

0:14

Yahoo Finance

NHTSA opens safety probe over Honda CR-V & HR-V SUVs​

Pras Subramanian
Pras Subramanian
·Senior Reporter
Wed, December 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM·2 min read

In this article:

• HMC
    +0.51%

• HNDAF
    0.00%

• F
    -1.20%

The potential for a huge recall of Honda (HMC) vehicles in the U.S. is on the horizon.
Auto safety agency NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is opening a preliminary investigation into issues affecting 1.72 million Honda CR-V and HR-V SUVS.
The probe is looking into allegations of loss of power for some drivers at highway speeds without warning. The power loss failure is attributed to "differential seal leaks resulting in rear differential lock-up," per NHTSA field reports. The rear differential controls the speed at which the two rear wheels rotate.
NHTSA says some rear differential lock-ups caused the car’s driveshaft to fracture while it was in motion.
The 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid that has been named the 2020 Green SUV of the Year, at the 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show in Los Angeles, California on November 21, 2019. (Photo by Mark RALSTON / AFP) (Photo by MARK RALSTON/AFP via Getty Images)

The 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid that has been named the 2020 Green SUV of the Year, at the 2019 Los Angeles Auto Show in Los Angeles, California on November 21, 2019. (Photo by Mark RALSTON / AFP) (Photo by MARK RALSTON/AFP via Getty Images)
In a written statement to Yahoo Finance, a Honda spokesperson said:
We aware that the NHTSA has initiated a Preliminary Evaluation regarding reported issues with rear differentials in 2018-2022 CR-V and HR-V vehicles equipped with all-wheel drive. Honda will cooperate with the NHTSA through the investigation process, and we will continue our own internal review of the available information.
A NHTSA investigation like this is usually the first step the agency takes before it can force an automaker to execute an official recall. Most recalls are initiated by automakers.
This is the second investigation into Honda opened by NHTSA this year. In June, NHTSA was looking into an issue involving inadvertent activation of Honda’s automatic emergency braking feature. This investigation potentially affected around 1.7 million Honda Accord and CR-V vehicles. No action has been taken yet for this braking issue as the investigation is currently ongoing.
Nonetheless, according to NHTSA data Honda has only had 6 recalls this year affecting 254,171 vehicles, one of the lowest totals among major manufacturers. For example, thus far in 2022 Ford (F) has had 65 recalls (affecting 8.6 million vehicles), Volkswagen (VOW.3DE) has had 43 (affecting 1 million), and Chrysler (STLA) has 37 (affecting 1.87 million).

• HMC
    +0.51%
  • HNDAF
    0.00%
  • F
    -1.20%

Ad: 0:04

0:14

Yahoo Finance

NHTSA opens safety probe over Honda CR-V & HR-V SUVs​

Pras Subramanian
Pras Subramanian
·Senior Reporter
Wed, December 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM·2 min read

In this article:

• HMC
    +0.51%

• HNDAF
    0.00%

• F
    -1.20%

The potential for a huge recall of Honda (HMC) vehicles in the U.S. is on the horizon.
Auto safety agency NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) is opening a preliminary investigation into issues affecting 1.72 million Honda CR-V and HR-V SUVS.
The probe is looking into allegations of loss of power for some drivers at highway speeds without warning. The power loss failure is attributed to "differential seal leaks resulting in rear differential lock-up," per NHTSA field reports. The rear differential controls the speed at which the two rear wheels rotate.
NHTSA says some rear differential lock-ups caused the car’s driveshaft to fracture while it was in motion.

In a written statement to Yahoo Finance, a Honda spokesperson said:

A NHTSA investigation like this is usually the first step the agency takes before it can force an automaker to execute an official recall. Most recalls are initiated by automakers.
This is the second investigation into Honda opened by NHTSA this year. In June, NHTSA was looking into an issue involving inadvertent activation of Honda’s automatic emergency braking feature. This investigation potentially affected around 1.7 million Honda Accord and CR-V vehicles. No action has been taken yet for this braking issue as the investigation is currently ongoing.
Nonetheless, according to NHTSA data Honda has only had 6 recalls this year affecting 254,171 vehicles, one of the lowest totals among major manufacturers. For example, thus far in 2022 Ford (F) has had 65 recalls (affecting 8.6 million vehicles), Volkswagen (VOW.3DE) has had 43 (affecting 1 million), and Chrysler (STLA) has 37 (affecting 1.87 million).
Sorry for the poor post but the last paragraph is interesting on the recalls by manufactures....Honda is one of the lowest actual recalls and the amount that had to be recalled...

Can't read the story, but it appears these aren't actually engine issues? I've only seen one HR-V with a diff seal leak and it was pretty high mileage

Reactions: hrv
Can't read the story, but it appears these aren't actually engine issues? I've only seen one HR-V with a diff seal leak and it was pretty high mileage
I just looked at mine on my 21 Sport AWD and it is bone dry...

I just looked at mine on my 21 Sport AWD and it is bone dry...
One of my lube techs forgot to refill the diff on a crv once, it went like two weeks before it threw a code for the pump in the differential. Never made any noise and it's still fine a couple years later after it was filled properly.

That's why I'm a little skeptical on this one, sounds more like lack of maintenance as all the fluids should be checked at each oil change anyways

One of my lube techs forgot to refill the diff on a crv once, it went like two weeks before it threw a code for the pump in the differential. Never made any noise and it's still fine a couple years later after it was filled properly.

That's why I'm a little skeptical on this one, sounds more like lack of maintenance as all the fluids should be checked at each oil change anyways
Thats why I do mine myself....

Back