Honda Serpentine Belt Tool Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Honda 2.4L engines found in the Element and CRV applications, the tensioner is extremely difficult to access. Conventional serp belt tools do not work, and the only generic alternative is a long zero-deg offset wrench.

Therefore, they have made special serpentine belt tools for this task (and for the one on the Honda 1.8L engines), but I was wondering if anyone was familiar with the differences among these. They all look fairly similar, but some do have an extra bends.

SCP68170.jpg

Snap-On, $44
http://honda.snapon.com/HondaAcura/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemId=47461281

105209.jpg

Assenmacher, $31
http://www.toolsource.com/prod_images/105209.jpg

HONDA_ACURA_SERP_4e3c294052457.jpg

Schley Tools, $54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh8-tIG7U0U
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-23690-hondaacura-serpentine-belt-tensioner-wrench.aspx

mst1095.jpg

Matco, $72
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MST1095/HONDA-SERPENTINE-BELT-TENSION-TOOL/

The Assenmacher tool is the least expensive one, and is the one I am obviously tempted to buy. However, it appears that the bends are a bit different from the approved Honda service tool, so I wonder how well it works in comparison.

Does anyone have any experience with any of the tools listed here?

Thanks.

I do use the "OEM" serpentine belt tensioning tool available for rental at AutoZone. I do it from the top, but on the CR-V anyway, you have to remove the upper plastic beauty shroud covering the top of the radiator to be able to pull down on the tool enough to move the tensioner enough. As I recall, the tensioner bolt is 14mm, and the tools only come with 13/15/17mm, but I use the 15mm and it's worked for me, at least so far.

If your a Honda guy or someone who repairs these then its not a bad investment.
Go with the Snap-On.

If you sell the car and don't need it later ebay the thing and get a few bucks back.
Personally I hate renting inexpensive tools, some bad experiences with them as most are el cheapo's and a bigger PITA than their worth.

Quote:
If your a Honda guy or someone who repairs these then its not a bad investment.
Go with the Snap-On.

+1

i used swivel head ratchets and had no problem getting to all the tensioner bolts on a first gen crv. sure its a tight fit but thats what they are made for.

I'm real tempted to purchase the Snap-On as my CR-V is due for a belt now that it's at 180k. Let us know any updates on which one you get.
How much is a genuine one from Honda?

If Snap-On had priced it at $295 for that wrench, Mike would be the first one purchasing it. He would not be comparing it to the other junk costing $30-$40, right Mike???

Amirite :)

Seriously, why would you even bother with other manufacturers given that Snap-On is so reasonably priced?? Be honest with yourself.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I'm real tempted to purchase the Snap-On as my CR-V is due for a belt now that it's at 180k. Let us know any updates on which one you get.

180k on the original belt?

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

180k on the original belt?

Yep. Still fine but I'm itching to change it out.

There is ZERO need for expensive tools if you are not a professional car mechanic .

Just like the 'need' for an expensive torque wrench for tightening the screws on your air box...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
There is ZERO need for expensive tools if you are not a professional car mechanic .

Just like the 'need' for an expensive torque wrench for tightening the screws on your air box...

Even if you are not a professional, having the proper tools to do the job will make life a lot easier. Just because you are not a professional does not mean that you should be forced to improvise.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Seriously, why would you even bother with other manufacturers given that Snap-On is so reasonably priced?? Be honest with yourself.

I just noticed that the snap-on tool is part #68170, which is the part # of the previous edition of the Schley tool. Schley's rep told me that the 10905 is revision to the 68170 and is more versatile.

I guess you will have to wait until Snap-On releases their own version of the tool with the Snap-On price :)

I have fetish for tools too and buy them and rarely use them so I do understand the attraction but don't have the budget (or the inclination) to pay the premium for the name brand sake.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

Even if you are not a professional, having the proper tools to do the job will make life a lot easier. Just because you are not a professional does not mean that you should be forced to improvise.

+1, especially for stuff that may be used more than once, a better tool that can make the job easier is key.

I look at it almost the opposite was as LT4 - if Im going this on my back in the interest of DIY, having the right tool to make it less of a chore is great, especially if Ill be doing it more than once and especially if Im saving big bucks by DIY.

Not sure how bad it is on the K24 but on my Civic's R18 the tensioner was pretty hard to access and VERY tight, requiring either lots of arm strength or a lot of leverage. I know which one of those is easier for me
smile.gif

I ended up buying the Napa branded version of this set: http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-3680-Ratcheting-Serpentine-Tool/dp/B0002WSFTO

It may not be as long as the Snap-On wrench but the black steel handle engages with the ratcheting wrench at whatever angle you need in order to create a pretty long arm, and the crows-foot and socket wrenches it comes with will handle a variety of tensioner sizes. A little pricey but a pretty good tool.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I look at it almost the opposite was as LT4 - if Im going this on my back in the interest of DIY, having the right tool to make it less of a chore is great, especially if Ill be doing it more than once and especially if Im saving big bucks by DIY.

Exactly. Easy to justify tools to make the job easier if you're not paying $100/hour for labor. And you get to keep the tools!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
+1, especially for stuff that may be used more than once, a better tool that can make the job easier is key.

I agree mostly. I paid more for Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor than other brands, but I used it many times for oil changes, ATF, brake fluid ... it paid for itself in less than 10 uses in the first 2 years, and it keeps working after 8-9 years.

For the hand tools, mine are mostly made in USA Craftsman I bought from mid '80 till mid '90, they are not the highest quality like Snap-on but they are more than adequate for me to use occasionally.

I'd choose the snap on.

The second generation CRV is really tight. Never could get any ratchet/socket combo in there. Not even that super thin HF 3/8-1/4 double headed ratchet. Would have to grind down a socket to make it fit.

One of those 0 offset high performance wrenches won't fit, since you'll hit the bolt for the power steering pump.

A regular 15deg offset wrench kind of works, but you don't really grab the tensioner bolt securely since its recessed.

The element has more room to work than the CRV, same engine. Things are just a little bit bigger to work in.

I myself improvised together a 60 degree offset DBE 12 pt 14-15mm wrench. Hook a 1/2 breaker into the 15mm, and the combo works well.

Last edited:
I have an EZ-Red Flex head 1/2" drive ratcheting 24" breaker bar to help with removal/installation of serpentine belts.

Last edited:
Update, after having much trouble locating a snap-on xdhfm1417 for sale on eBay, I gave in and purchased a "generic" extra-long, 14/17mm zero-offset wrench.

It's probably made in taiwan or china, but appears to be a very close match to the Snap-On version. However, it is important to note that the Snap-On wrench is 13.6"; this one measures 14.5". The extra length may or may not be an issue when this wrench is used as a serpentine belt tool.

More pics:

Zero-offset design:

Here is a Honda 2.4L serpentine belt tensioner that I pulled off my shelf. Notice how the wrench fits perfectly on the bolt, but does not touch the pulley at all - it has just enough clearance to move:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back