Honda Power Steering Fluid vs Redline Power Steering Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this in an old post:

"The Redline PSF has an additive package very similar to the Honda PS fluid. The Redline PS has slightly more AW additives than the Honda PS.

The Redline synthetic fluid comes in at 7.0 cSt virgin and shears to about 6.4 cSt after repeated mechanical and thermal cycling.

Original virgin Honda PS (mostly mineral oil base) comes in at about 10.5 cSt and shears down to about 5.5 cSt after repeated mechanical and thermal cycling."

I am aware that Honda recommends their coolant and power steering fluid. I have used Honda power steering fluid in the past without issue, which I change every 3 years when I change the brake fluid and clutch fluid.

The Redline PSF is synthetic and appears to be more shear resistant and has a robust additive package.

I am considering using the Redline PSF and changing it at a 6 year schedule. Considering it can be purchased for $12/quart shipped, it would be more cost effective than Honda PSF.

Anyone have any experience with Redline Power Steering Fluid in a Honda or an opinion? Many of the aftermarket Honda PSF (Prestone for Honda (Walmart), Idemitsu) are not fully synthetic and start out at a thinner viscosity. I would be concerned at what viscosity they shear to in use.

Yes, I've used Red Line's PSF in a fairly late-model Honda power steering system. There were no leaks, no noises, no abnormal performance; no issues. I don't know that I had more than ...50k miles?... of experience doing that, though.

I have every confidence that Red Line's fluid is a better-quality fluid than Honda's. I've never encountered a Honda fluid that was particularly high quality. Slightly odd in some way, for sure, but not particularly high quality.

I do not recall that Red Line recommends their fluid in Honda PS systems, but as I said I have used it successfully in a single Honda vehicle, for a while, without issue.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why the 6 year schedule??

I just retired and project that in 6 years I will probably drive 25K miles. I am thinking, I wouldn't change it any sooner.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

I have every confidence that Red Line's fluid is a better-quality fluid than Honda's. I've never encountered a Honda fluid that was particularly high quality. Slightly odd in some way, for sure, but not particularly high quality.

+1

To the OP: I have not used Redline in a Honda but their products are impressive overall. However, I would use a syn fluid designed/recommended for Honda, given the unique composition of the steering components. I currently use Lucas PS fluid (the one that says "for ALL power steering systems" on the bottle) and am very happy with it. Slightly smoother than OEM and I haven't touched it in 4 years and 50k miles.

Originally Posted By: RyanY
I currently use Lucas PS fluid (the one that says "for ALL power steering systems" on the bottle) and am very happy with it.

Another pile of baloney from Lucas. I dare someone to try it in a Benz or an Audi and see if Lucas will stand behind the product when everything goes south.

I use a combo of Honda and O'Reilly Honda House brand.
In Hondas and Acuras.
Good stuff; really restores that new car steering.

Neat to hear about the viscosity shearing. Another tick on the board for me to start using LV ATF in the PS system.

I was kind of leery of my Odyssey’s PS and did a bunch of research. I ended up buying like 6 bottles of Honda PSF and did two full drain & fill flushes about a week each, then one final D&F. After about another week of some general displeasure with its overall performance, I used my turkey baster to suck down the reservoir to the “low” mark, and topped it back up with Lubegard Red. After about 50 miles, the action was butter smooth and all the cold-weather whine was gone. It’s remained flawless for nearly 40k now.

If Redline says it's ok to use in a Honda, it will be fine
smile.gif

You don't have to use OEM Honda fluid from the dealer. The parts stores sell a special power steering fluid for Hondas. If you're near O'Reilly, you can even get it by the quart at a great price. Napa has Idemitsu PSF at a good price.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I was kind of leery of my Odyssey’s PS and did a bunch of research. I ended up buying like 6 bottles of Honda PSF and did two full drain & fill flushes about a week each, then one final D&F. After about another week of some general displeasure with its overall performance, I used my turkey baster to suck down the reservoir to the “low” mark, and topped it back up with Lubegard Red. After about 50 miles, the action was butter smooth and all the cold-weather whine was gone. It’s remained flawless for nearly 40k now.

I don't know what year Odyssey you have, but have you heard there might have been an issue with the design of the PS reservoir in the 2005-2010(?) models? It was rumored that the filter screen was too fine and prone to clog? I have no idea if this is true or not. Something about the corrected reservoir part from Honda has a white dot on the cap. Here is a video that refers to the possible problem.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hon...amp;FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If Redline says it's ok to use in a Honda, it will be fine
smile.gif

Interestingly, I just checked the Redline site and they recommend their PSF for nearly every make that uses ATF, but DO NOT specifically recommend their PSF for Honda/Acura and VW/Audi.

Quote:

RED LINE POWER STEERING FLUID satisfies the service fill requirements of most auto manufacturers and can be used where the manufacturer calls for any automatic transmission fluid such as Dexron®, Dexron II®, II-E®, or Dexron III®, Ford Type-F, Mercon or M2C138-CJ such as required by Ford, AMC, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, VW, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, SAAB, Subaru, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda and many others.

This fluid also satisfies power steering units requiring GM PN 1050017 or 1052884 (Spec Number 9985010), Chrysler Spec Number 5931, and Ford Spec Number M2C33-F. It also satisfies the hydraulic specifications of Denison HF-O, Vickers vane pumps and Sundstrand piston pumps.

Suitable replacement for Eaton Supercharger fluid, GM pt# 12345982, AC Delco pt# 10-4041, Ford pt# XL-4, Ford ESE-M99C115-A, Toyota pt# 08885-80108

Last edited:
It is approved for VW but not Audi for some reason and you are correct that it is not approved for Honda/Acura.

Certainly the prudent choice is to use genuine Honda fluid.

I wouldn't necessarily say that Idemitsu and Prestone PSF FOR HONDA are exactly equivalent. Each are mostly mineral oil based but Honda has a 10.5 viscosity and Idemitsu and Prestone are in the area of 7 for a viscosity. I can't comment on their additive packages being equivalent to Honda PSF, which is pretty robust, and makes Honda different than most PSF.

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
It is approved for VW but not Audi for some reason and you are correct that it is not approved for Honda/Acura.

Doh! After looking a little more closely I see that VW is included in the list!

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
I don't know what year Odyssey you have, but have you heard there might have been an issue with the design of the PS reservoir in the 2005-2010(?) models? It was rumored that the filter screen was too fine and prone to clog? I have no idea if this is true or not. Something about the corrected reservoir part from Honda has a white dot on the cap.

I replaced my reservoir prior to the whine going away. I had changed it and put new fluid in and still had the whine. It went away after I added the Lubegard. Thanks though, that was correct info.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Mola, question- why the Asian specific fluid and not the Honda specific fluid that Prestone makes? Oh wait, I just checked their site. Must be because they discontinued the Honda specific fluid
smirk.gif

You can still purchase Prestone Honda specific PSF at Walmart. They only make that product specifically for Walmart. Someone had questioned a Prestone representative why it wasn't listed in their catalog and the explanation was they only listed stand alone Prestone products in their catalog and not products made by contract for Walmart.

There is a thread on the forum discussing the topic, if you search.

The Prestone Asian PSF AS269Y is a fully synthetic fluid. The Prestone Honda PSF isn't.

Anybody try adding Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to a Honda's Power Steering (or any power steering for that matter) ?

I have had very good results adding MMO to Gas Tanks & Crankcases on numerous cars, plus the MMO is nicely inexpensive. They say MMO can be added to Power Steering & Auto-Transmissions, any comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back