Triax Synthetic Power Steering Fluid for Honda ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to flush the power steering system in 3 Honda vehicles . Since it usually takes about 4 12oz bottles., I thought about buying the Triax Synthetic PS fluid for Honda by the quart. Is this stuff OK ? (Alternatively, I would use Prestone Asian vehicle PS fluid or Idemitsu PSF Universal PS Fluid for Asian Vehicles )

It's been awhile since I've dealt with Hondas, but just use the Honda fluid. They spec some very different qualities for their fluid, and I think the only alternative fluid that was ever really equivalent is the Prestone Asian that's fully synthetic (since Prestone dropped their Honda-specific fluid). Just use the return line removal method, and pump it out into a separate container while simultaneously keeping the reservoir full. Once the stuff coming into your drain container is the clear color, stop the car, reattach the hose, run the car and turn the wheel from lock to lock, and top off the reservoir.

Is saving ~$20 per vehicle now by using a substitute on the fluid flush worth the risk of possibly replacing a pump or rack in in the near future to you?

I agree with SubieRubyRoo, but I also met a guy who uses Royal Purple power steering fluid (the one with Synerlec) for his daily driven and frequently racetracked Honda Accord coupe. No issues yet in 3 years he used it, and I'm very tempted to try it in my Honda as well. He said he follows Honda recommendation of changing the powersteering fluid every 40k miles.

If it says Honda on it, you can use it with no problem :)

If you're lucky enough to have an O'Reilly nearby, they sell a house brand Honda PS by the quart, and it should be cheaper than Triax. If not, all the major parts stores have a house brand Honda PS. The cheapest option is Idemitsu PSF from Napa.

FWIW, I have been using the parts store brand Honda PS fluid for many years (non-synthetic) without any problems. I just wondered if I could get synthetic PS fluid for close the same price, I would use it. Of course Triax is not a major brand, that is why I asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back