Honda oil viscosities: North America v. Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Here's the Civic chart. The engine used in current Civic's is the same as this chart is for, from 2002. NOTE: Everything I've posted is from the factory service manuals.

North America: 5W-20, all ambient temps. 1yr/10,000 miles. Replace filter every other oil change.

UK: 1yr/12,500 miles. Replace filter every other oil change.
EuroK.gif

Very good info!

vinu neuros's chart is more sane.
The original posted chart does not make sense, as a 5-30 is supposedly only good to 0C, 32F, max ambient temp.

vinu neuros's chart is more sane.
The original posted chart does not make sense, as a 5-30 is supposedly only good to 0C, 32F, max ambient temp.

The original charts in the first post were by me too. And those was also from honda service manuals, but that the Prelude not Civic.

Last edited:
Here's the Civic chart. The engine used in current Civic's is the same as this chart is for, from 2002.

The current Civic's engine (R18) is new in 2006 and very different from the D17 used in 2002.

Ah that makes sense. I assumed it wasn't the K series because of

North America: 5W-20, all ambient temps. 1yr/10,000 miles. Replace filter every other oil change.

All the info I've seen says Honda recommends 5w-30 oil for performance applications of the K series here.

Honda claims a standard filter is good for 2 years or 20,000 miles? Holy cow.

I thought that was supposed to be 10k/1 year oil and filter ..or 20k/1 year on filter. That is, if you managed 20k/year you changed the filter every other time.

Here's the Civic chart. The engine used in current Civic's is the same as this chart is for, from 2002. NOTE: Everything I've posted is from the factory service manuals.

EuroK.gif

Thanks. I feel better about blending in the M1 15W-50 EP I got on special at Target with some 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I thought that was supposed to be 10k/1 year oil and filter ..or 20k/1 year on filter. That is, if you managed 20k/year you changed the filter every other time.

With the OLM on the new ones it's go by OLM for oil change, or 1 year if it hasn't gone off, and filter every other oil change. I'm pretty sure it was the same on the maintenance schedule before the OLM. So that is a theoretical maximum of 20k miles on the filter. I drive mostly highway and the OLM calls for a change at 6-7k miles, putting the filter at 12-14k miles. I doubt many people are really supposed to be running the filter out to 20k miles.

EuroK.gif

No, the chart does not make sense because 10w-30 is thinner than 5w-40 at below 0f and all temps.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

EuroK.gif

No, the chart does not make sense because 10w-30 is thinner than 5w-40 at below 0f and all temps.

Really?

GTX 10w30 has a pumping viscosity of 50,000cP at -30C
PP 5w50 has a pumping viscosity of 24,000cP at -35C

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

Are there any conventional 5W-40 oils, or are they all synthetics? That might explain the paradox.

EuroK.gif

The Euro Civic and the North American Civics are not exactly the same cars either. I'm not sure which engine this is for, but there is a larger variety of Civic power plants available in Europe IIRC...

I do need to take what I said back. This chart is for the old D-series engine used be all regular Civic's through 2002 and also the K20 used in the Civic TypeR and Civic Si that year. The K-series is Honda's current performance 4cyl used in Civic Si, CTR, RSX/S, TSX, etc.

It's a cool chart Vinu. It's almost like Honda telling it's customers "really any oil will be fine, but hey, if it's below freezing maybe you want to take it easy with the thick stuff" which is common sense anyway. But night and day from the US, and makes more sense. Also interesting that 0w-20 is on the chart but 5w-20 is not, which just reinforces that it just isn't available there.

Just to correct someone, the K series calls for 5w-30 in the TSX and Si, but 5w-20 in the Accord, CRV, Element... etc.

Does it really matter if it's from the D or K series? Either (I've had both) specd only 5w-20. So if this is a comparison between the EU recs and the US recs, it doesn't matter which it was for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back