Honda Odyssey J35Y6 recommendations

Get a VCM blocker.
That eco mode will eventually kill your piston rings, your plugs and even your cat converter.
I've been trying to figure out if that's still a problem. This is supposedly a gen 3 VCM engine, I guess the gen 2s had a ton of issues, like 2011-2017 ish

I've been trying to figure out if that's still a problem. This is supposedly a gen 3 VCM engine, I guess the gen 2s had a ton of issues, like 2011-2017 ish
Every week a new Gen3 comes onto my Odyssey forum with massive issues, all related to VCM damage.
Drinking oil, fouling spark plugs, failing fat converters.
If it were me I'd vcm block that great engine.

Every week for the past 1.5 years, that's when we bought our 15 ody.

I'm not overstating either, Every week.

I had no idea about the vcm issues until after we bought ours. I thought honda prided itself on simple reliable vehicles. I was wrong.......

Muzzle that new beast and you will never need to worry.

Get a VCM blocker.
That eco mode will eventually kill your piston rings, your plugs and even your cat converter.
I had heard that the VCM issues had been sorted out in the latest generation, but maybe it’s too soon to tell.

I had heard that the VCM issues had been sorted out in the latest generation, but maybe it’s too soon to tell.
In the 3rd gen Pilots causing a lot of problems with torque converter clutches/transmissions at least in the 6 speed trannies. Software makes the TC slip more and electronic motor mounts work accordingly so you don't feel the vibrations from unbalanced motor. Piloteers has many show up because of transmission problems. The slipping kills the DW-1, overheating it etc.

I don't recall too many with the engine/piston ring issues (yet) on those. I have a '19 Pilot with 6 speed with 50k miles. VCM muzzled since 25k miles. My DW-1 is VERY dark every time, I've done 7 drain and fills over the time. First time was at about 20k and it was black. That was with one 200 mile round trip tow at less than 2000 lbs. Rest was just family and daily driver use. Factory external cooler installed at the 20k.

In the 3rd gen Pilots causing a lot of problems with torque converter clutches/transmissions at least in the 6 speed trannies. Software makes the TC slip more and electronic motor mounts work accordingly so you don't feel the vibrations from unbalanced motor. Piloteers has many show up because of transmission problems. The slipping kills the DW-1, overheating it etc.

I don't recall too many with the engine/piston ring issues (yet) on those. I have a '19 Pilot with 6 speed with 50k miles. VCM muzzled since 25k miles. My DW-1 is VERY dark every time, I've done 7 drain and fills over the time. First time was at about 20k and it was black. That was with one 200 mile round trip tow at less than 2000 lbs. Rest was just family and daily driver use. Factory external cooler installed at the 20k.
I have done 7 spill amd fills with maxlife.
It lasts much longer than oem fluid.

I'll be "that guy" that recommends 5W30. ;)

My TL has the J37 which is slightly larger but has (potential) oil consumption issues as it gets older; I only have 33k on the odometer now so I'm embarking on a strict regiment of HPL 5W30 (factory rec is 5W2) with an Amsoil filter. I find it funny that Honda dropped VTEC on the latest J series in the new Pilot and went DOHC. The VTEC J series was/is a sonorous delight.

These engines are easy on oil and I replace oil filter every OCI (Fram 7317 or Honda OEM). 5k with any Mobil 1 0w20 (I like the M1 EP HM 0w20) in the 2004.
Even 5w30 comes out like brown hot water from the Nissan in fairly less than 5k miles.
Not when the VCM is active.....
The front 3 cylinders really heat up and cook/varnish that oil good.
Especially since the pcv is also on the front.

Use a good syn and be on the conservative side of the oci.

Do they have VCM muzzlers for the current gen J35's?
Looks like it

For me, a Purolator PBL14610 filter and Pennzoil Euro LX (0w-30) works wonders for the J35Y series of engines. My RLX has never sounded or ran as smooth as when I put the Euro LX in. Only noise I can hear when the car is running are the DI injectors. Engine is also smoother on the highway. Might cause a slight drop in MPGs though. Can't say for sure though as the cold snap meant that the engine was dumping fuel at cold start. Any decent 0w20/30 should be fine. Lastly, if you want to stick to 0w-20, I've had the best luck with PUP.

I'll be "that guy" that recommends 5W30. ;)

My TL has the J37 which is slightly larger but has (potential) oil consumption issues as it gets older; I only have 33k on the odometer now so I'm embarking on a strict regiment of HPL 5W30 (factory rec is 5W2) with an Amsoil filter. I find it funny that Honda dropped VTEC on the latest J series in the new Pilot and went DOHC. The VTEC J series was/is a sonorous delight.
Honda removing VTEC from their latest J Series V-6 is very sad. I love the J35 V-6's from 2006/2007 - super smooth and powerful.
Just fun to drive.

We picked up a 23 Odyssey with the J35Y6 engine a few months ago. What oil and filter recommendations do you all have going forward? This is my first Honda. The first 1k miles creeped up on me so I dumped the factory fill and replaced with Halvoline Pro-DS 0w-20 from Walmart and a Fram TG7317.

It's funny, this is my first experience with 0w-20. When it was hot, looked like brown water coming out of the drain plug compared to all of my other 5w-30 vehicles.
I prefer 5W-30 for it's higher HTHS and Moft. Protection is more important to me than a 1/10 of a MPG gain if any from 20 weight oils.

Another vote to disable VCM. The S-VCM and VCM Tuner 2 are the most recommended/reliable units AFAIK.

VCM poses several problems for all Hondas regardless of generation. Oil fouled plugs, stuck piston rings, and misfires are the early symptoms, and were particularly prevalent in the early 4th gen Odysseys (like mine). However the long-term effects - damaged motor mounts and excessive vibration - are also problematic. Damaged front/rear mounts then allow the engine to move around too much, often causing the intake tube to tear and resulting in the engine stalling. Fortunately the stalls usually happen at stop lights instead of during acceleration, and the intake tube is relatively cheap. However, the front/rear mounts cost me $500 each, so they are not exactly a budget-friendly repair!

Regardless, all of these issues can be avoided if VCM is deactivated. It is too early to know whether the gen 5 Odyssey is as vulnerable to VCM gremlins as the gen 4 is, but I would not be willing to risk it.

My $.02

I run a 0w-30 in my J35Y5 even with VCM disabled due to DI and it being a short-tripper in a cold climate. ESP is my latest flavor. At least we don't have to consider chain shear.

Back