Honda Odyssey J35Y6 recommendations

We picked up a 23 Odyssey with the J35Y6 engine a few months ago. What oil and filter recommendations do you all have going forward? This is my first Honda. The first 1k miles creeped up on me so I dumped the factory fill and replaced with Halvoline Pro-DS 0w-20 from Walmart and a Fram TG7317.

It's funny, this is my first experience with 0w-20. When it was hot, looked like brown water coming out of the drain plug compared to all of my other 5w-30 vehicles.

We picked up a 23 Odyssey with the J35Y6 engine a few months ago. What oil and filter recommendations do you all have going forward? This is my first Honda. The first 1k miles creeped up on me so I dumped the factory fill and replaced with Halvoline Pro-DS 0w-20 from Walmart and a Fram TG7317.

It's funny, this is my first experience with 0w-20. When it was hot, looked like brown water coming out of the drain plug compared to all of my other 5w-30 vehicles.
Just run a thick 0w-20 like PUP. Ymmv

Yes mine is muzzled with S-VCM
Excellent, smart move.

There's really no specific oil that's going to make or break your experience. You took care of the real factor with the S-VCM. In my personal J35 I've run a variety of oils and settled mostly on Pennzoil Platinum. No reason really other than lately it's priced more competitively than Mobil 1. There's actually a great rebate happening right now that's posted in the Sales & Rebates forum here or whatever it's called. $20 back on two jugs.

You can be bougie like me and run Amsoil. Ive got SVCM installed, factory transmission cooler and since it’s the six speed Amsoil SS blue cap atf as well. 56K and is running great. I also add a bottle of redline SL1 fuel cleaner at 60% olm and 20% olm just for preventative measure.

These engines are easy on oil and I replace oil filter every OCI (Fram 7317 or Honda OEM). 5k with any Mobil 1 0w20 (I like the M1 EP HM 0w20) in the 2004.
Even 5w30 comes out like brown hot water from the Nissan in fairly less than 5k miles.

QSUD or QSUP 0W20 for a buck more paired with a Fram TG7317 and change oil filter every other OCI. J Series engines from Honda are excellent!!!

Picked up a ‘23 Odyssey for the wife as well a few months ago. I won’t dump the factory fill until 5000 miles and will change at 5000 mile intervals afterwards with probably Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra.
What kind of mileage are you all seeing in the latest generation? Have yet to break more than 24mpg over the course of a tank despite a lot of highway miles. It might just be the wife’s lead foot, however.

Picked up a ‘23 Odyssey for the wife as well a few months ago. I won’t dump the factory fill until 5000 miles and will change at 5000 mile intervals afterwards with probably Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra.
What kind of mileage are you all seeing in the latest generation? Have yet to break more than 24mpg over the course of a tank despite a lot of highway miles. It might just be the wife’s lead foot, however.
We consistently get 20mpg in mixed driving according to the MFD.

20k miles.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 has worked well in our 19 Pilot that has the J36Y6 also.

We have 3 J35s in the garage now with 268k, 210k, and 88k miles and they have all done fine on Mobil 1 0w20 most of their lives. I experiment of substitute with Mobil 1 EP, Valvoline EP, or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage for the oldest ones but M1 EP is the standard now.

Dont sweat the anti 0w20 “thickies”, these engines are designed for 0w20 and last a long time on them. I posted a UOA on our 2011 Ody with 210k miles in that sub-forum recently, whole life on 0w20 only.

Follow the Maintenance Minder except replace the filter at every oil change, cheap insurance.

Filters: I run Honda filters until the warranty runs out, then Bosch 3323 filters but I dont like their new Mexico made ones, may go to Puralator Ones.

Disable the VCM for super long engine life, we had an issue with that one our 11 Ody, VCM Tuner II from vcmtuner.com has worked well for us.

The older (2015) Honda Odyssey that I maintain for my sister I usually use Toyota oil in it because I get it for around $2.97ish a quart through work. Works for me works for them so that’s what it gets. My preference otherwise would be Castrol Edge or Valvoline Advanced just as a preference. Pennzoil Platinum would be a good choice too. Can’t go wrong with any of those really.

We haven't taken it from full to empty on highway miles yet, but in the trips that I've measured, we averaged between 26-28 mpg on the highway doing about 70 mph. I set the cruise and turn on Econ mode just to see what it can do.

We haven't taken it from full to empty on highway miles yet, but in the trips that I've measured, we averaged between 26-28 mpg on the highway doing about 70 mph. I set the cruise and turn on Econ mode just to see what it can do.
Get a VCM blocker.
That eco mode will eventually kill your piston rings, your plugs and even your cat converter.

Back