Honda MTF oil

Can't find my preferred Pentosin MTF-2 (GL-4), there is supposedly a recommended replacement Pentosin FFL-4 (GL-5) but I found a deal on FFL-2 which is TL 52182 rather than a more familiar GL-4 spec. The Dynamic Viscosity at -40C is strange at 12100 compared to other oils I've been looking at, will FFL-2 work? There is a problem sourcing exotic oils in Canada, I have gone through GM syncromesh unsuccessfully after a second change out with Honda oil. MTF-2 just plain worked for cold climate. 2015 Accord 4cyl MT6.

Can't find my preferred Pentosin MTF-2 (GL-4), there is supposedly a recommended replacement Pentosin FFL-4 (GL-5) but I found a deal on FFL-2 which is TL 52182 rather than a more familiar GL-4 spec. The Dynamic Viscosity at -40C is strange at 12100 compared to other oils I've been looking at, will FFL-2 work? There is a problem sourcing exotic oils in Canada, I have gone through GM syncromesh unsuccessfully after a second change out with Honda oil. MTF-2 just plain worked for cold climate. 2015 Accord 4cyl MT6.
As I have mentioned to others, obtain preferably a VOA sample of the OEM oil, or at least UAO sample of factory fill, so we can attempt to match up an aftermarket oil for you.

Last edited:
I've been running Royal Purple Synchromax in my 2016 Civic with great results.
Also manual and reviewed very well by other Honda owners.
🤷‍♂️

Ford MTF is really good stuff if you can find it. Another option is redline MTF. Redline is available from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can’t tell from your post but did you have Honda MTF in there at one time? I like it in my Toyota and it’s only $7 a quart or so at the Honda dealer.

Get yourself Amsoil MTF, my ‘17 Civic 6speed shifts like butter. Over 40k miles on it (changed it once at 25k on oil)

In my Honda I used Redline MT-90, despite Redline MTL being the recommended option. That MT-90 was a huge improvement over the Honda MTF that was in the tranny previously. Shifted smooth all the time, while OEM fluid started to get notchy when spirited road driving (as well as rally-inspired off-the-pavement driving) was combined with summer heat.
In your application Redline MTL may be a better option with the cold months in play. But overall Redline MT fluids offer great value and performance, compared to everything else on the market.

Normally I would prefer factory fill, was in a cold climate and the refill Honda fluid lasted no longer than the oe fill before getting notchy. Tried the GM fluid and it was no better from the get go, been very happy with the Pentosin but as usual as my favorite stuff is discontinued, I understand the FFL-4 is thier new replacement but I miss purchased three liters of FFL-2 and if it is in the ball park I'll use it- I do have some Redline on the shelf but was not trying to experiment again. Cold weather shifting is my issue.

Pentosin FFL-4 GL5 is not Honda spec.
You must use 75w or 75w80 GL4.

Examples: Redline MT-LV 70w (strong additive), GM 1940004 93165694 75w, Castrol BOT 303 75w, Castrol Syntrans B 75w (different chemical to Honda and Castrol BOT 303 but compatible), Ford 75w FE M2C200-D2, Volvo 31280771... most are true synthetic.

After you have different 75w80 GL4 but if you have issues with cold climate try these. There you should have Fiat/FCA oils too, Petronas/Tutela has any oils. Even VAG has some 75w GL4 but chemical different to examples (Honda).

Back