Honda Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is making Honda Motor Oil these days?

Anybody know?

My Honda just rolled past 60k so I'm no longer covered under their warranty, and I am going to start doing the oil myself, but I would like to stick with the same brand ( I always brought to the dealer they did the oil for $28--a little more than I could myself, and anytime they tried to sell me something I took care of it myself...not stealing from me) if I can find out who makes it for Honda...

I know at one time it was Mobil, then allegedly Motorcraft

NOW I have no idea...

anybody know?

The blend they sell over the counter is Conoco Phillips. They sell a 0-20 syn that if you use search you will come up with who is making it. The stealer oil you get with a oil change has to be the lowest priced oil they can find that meets the specs atleast. There is a voa also on the blend that is recent. It has a tbn in and around 6.5 nothing to write home about especially since they go to 6-8 k olm. HandA accessories sell it, after adding shipping you may save some money vs the stealer price.IMHO you could do alot better with a Honda and oil choices.
cool.gif

I don't think I like Kendall.

Thanks otto, after seeing pics of Honda OEM filters cut open, they look like [censored] compared to the quality filters...as a matter of simplicity I am leaning towards Mobil 1 and Mobil filters....trying not to overthink it too much...maybe stating with Mobil 7500 (or super i think its now called) for an oci then to M1

but then the wheels start and I am also considering maybe PYB, for 1 OCI, then PGB for 1 OCI, then PP or PU for the next 400,000 miles
bit which filter to go with the pennz.?

I also like Valvoline Synpower and would ease into that, maybe the VWB, then VBB, then the synpower...but again what filter?

It's a pilot with 61k. always serviced by honda.

Depends on the bottle. ConocoPhilips now, but dealers probably still have some old Kendall stock.

If Honda chooses Kendall for OEM, you know it's good stuff.

DO NOT go out of your way to purchase Honda Oil! There are some very good alternatives (such as MotorCraft, QSUD, P-Plat/Ultra,Edge, the list can go on and on... the bottom line is Honda Oil will do NOTHING better than these oils and IMO is inferior to those oils I mentioned above. I don't want to come off sounding like I am bashing Honda oil CP is a good company, but unless you are getting it for at least the same cost as MC or QSUD, ($14-19) then forget it. Take it from a guy with 26 years of Honda's in the family. Sorry for the rant but I mean it in no way towards you, I am just trying to save you some cash. If you are gonna spend money on oil make sure you are getting High Quality. You just can't beat The monthly sales at the auto stores that come with a premium filter to boot.

chubbs is right that honda oil will do nothing better than these oils.

H and A sell honda synthetic blend oil for $2.84 a quart, plus shipping.

today you can find a great deal on dino and synthetic at kragen,autozone, walmart.

walmart sell castrol syntec 5qt for $21

It is all made by Conoco-Philips now. Even the 0w-20 ultimate full synthetic.

It isn't Kendall, it's regular Conoco stuff. The company I work for was taking the Conoco stickers off of the drums and putting Honda stickers on. Since the switch to SN/GF-5 it's the same.

It used to be Mobil for most of it, and Idemitsu I believe for the 0w-20.

The OP hasn't said what Honda he has but as others have mentioned Conoco-Philips is now the supplier of Honda Brand oils.
All manufacturer brand oils are good stuff and a good deal if you can get it for a reasonable price.
The Honda Brand 0W-20 is unique to the Japanese OEM's with their ultra high VI's and very high levels of organic moly.
Check out the VOA below:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630856#Post1630856

Why not start using Motorcraft 5W-20? It is dirt cheap for a synthetic blend. The most recent VOA of the CP blended Honda 5W-20 looks very similar to the Motorcraft 5W-20 SN blend. Once I'm out of warranty that's the route I will take unless something changes.

FWIW, my local dealer charges over $7 for the new Honda 0W-20 blend.

I am the OP. I have a Pilot.

Not really wondering so much which oil I should use, I wanted to know who makes oil for Honda today. Not the bulk oil the dealership service center uses, butthe stuff Honda parts dept sells in quarts.

I am pretty sure I'll be going the Mobil1/Mobil filter route.

The bulk oil and the bottled oil should be the same product, it certainly is with the Honda and Acura dealers north of the border.

It's very easy to find out, simply ask the dealer. If the dealer says it is Honda Brand oil ask who the supplier is; there's a good chance he will know. If you still have your doubts, contact American Honda and they will tell you if they supplier Honda Brand oil to the dealers in your area and in what grades.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
I am the OP. I have a Pilot.

Not really wondering so much which oil I should use, I wanted to know who makes oil for Honda today. Not the bulk oil the dealership service center uses, butthe stuff Honda parts dept sells in quarts.

I am pretty sure I'll be going the Mobil1/Mobil filter route.

Sorry, guess I should have re-read the original post. The last time I was in my parts department (about a month ago), I asked the same question and it was confirmed that approximately 9 months ago, they began receiving their oil shipments(bottled) from Conoco/Phillips. The no longer have any Honda Genuine products supplied by ExxonMobil, unless the dealership specifically orders drums for the service department from them. My particular dealership uses Quaker State for bulk service, unless servicing a hybrid or 2011 model that specifically requires 0w-20. For those, they have drums of the CP blended synthetic identical to whats in the bottles. He showed me the new GF-5 bottles, and they look identical to the Motorcraft bottles except they are black with gold caps: labeled Honda Genuine GF-5, SN. Hope that answers your question.

Originally Posted By: RegDunlop
I don't think I like Kendall.

Yeah, I used the kendall gt1 exclusively after the initial fill in my '04 honda at 5k oci for over 40,000 miles before the engine blew apart.

just kidding.

i had no issues with it, but, like you, i decided to start doing my own oil changes. it's been pp and a pure1 since then. but that will be changing soon. i'm going to try pyb for the summer. car runs great. the valvetrain is spotless through the oil fill hole.

I work in an Acura parts department. Typically we don't know who makes the fluids, although its easy enough to find out. In our bulk tanks we have all Mobil Clean 5000 (Which is changing to Super 5000). All of our synthetic oil changes are now the acura branded oil. Up til 2-3 months ago it was Mobil 1 for synthetic changes.

When you go for an oil change kinda a lost leader. So they need to use cheap oil, the oil you buy at the parts dept. is Conoco and either 0-20 or a blend of 5-20. That oil comes in an exact bottle as Motorcraft but is black with a gold cap. Motorcraft and Honda = Conoco. Bulk oil change oil best price around. Except bulk oil 0-20 needs alittle more attention. But the 5-20 anybodys bet. Gives you a warm feeling right???
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The OP hasn't said what Honda he has but as others have mentioned Conoco-Philips is now the supplier of Honda Brand oils.
All manufacturer brand oils are good stuff and a good deal if you can get it for a reasonable price.
The Honda Brand 0W-20 is unique to the Japanese OEM's with their ultra high VI's and very high levels of organic moly.
Check out the VOA below:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1630856#Post1630856

All of the Honda oils used to have quite a bit of moly. I am not so sure you can rely on those specs anymore. The new Honda Blend 5w20 from CP has 0 (zero) moly. I know you can't necessarily equate that with the 0w20 but I don't think either of us can make a definitive statement on the 0w until someone does a VOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back