Honda HRX217K6VYA

I have had a Toro Recycler with a 190cc engine and personal pace for about 8 years. I loved the way this lawnmower cut. It started on the first pull every time during the summer and the first or the second during the winter. I've had some issues with belts\cables, etc due to wear and tear, but nothing major. The thing that really bothered me though was that starting about 3 or 4 years after I got it, the deck started to rust underneath the much\bag lever. I keep it in the shed, but I rinse it after every use and let it dry outside for an hour or so. Recently, it's gotten worse and now I can see there is a small hole where it is completely rusted through. About a year ago I started cutting my in-laws St Augustine weekly that is some of the thickest St Aug I have ever seen. At least 5-6 times every cut, the lawnmower would bog down and stall. It got to be a real pain. The last couple of times, the mower hydro locked. The only way to unseize it was to take the recoil off and turn the fly wheel with my hand. I checked oil and spark plug and everything was fine. It got to be too much.

This week I splurged and got a Honda HRX217K6VYA. Hands down, the nicest lawnmower I've owned. Very solid and much quieter than my Toro. Hopefully the Nexite deck will hold up for a long time. So far, the only thing I don't like is the clippings that get past the mulch chute. I'm still looking into solutions for that. It has tons of power. My grass is easy to cut. I cut the grass at my in-laws and was amazed. With my Toro, I could at most cut half the width of that grass, the Honda breezed through cutting almost the width of the lawnmower, never stalling one time. I loved the personal pace on the Toro, until I had to cut thick grass. I had to put a little effort into the Toro to get it through that grass. I love the "paddle" style on the Honda. I put 0 effort into cutting that grass.

I would highly recommend that 200cc engine to anyone. The cut was just as nice, maybe a little nicer than the Toro. The larger wheels make the "ride" a little nicer. It was much more expensive than the Toro, but I'm hoping it is worth it.

^^^ this, those wash ports they put on mowers were the fastest way to rust out your deck ever invented. Blow them off with compressed air and if they are getting build up use a scraper or stick to clean under the deck after you pull the plug wire.

I've come across threads on mower forums talking about St Augustine grass and how it can work a mower to death so going with a bigger engine was a good move.

Actually 8 years out of a Recycler with steel deck probably isn't to bad, especially if you rinse it after every mow. The longest I had a Recycler was 3 years then I sold them. Had a regular one and one with Blade Stop, both with the B&S 190cc. I did look at a Honda but didn't like the paddle, thought it would be too hard on the thumb so keep us updated on how you like it after a while.

I did go with another Toro but went with Super Recycler which is twice the mower the Recycler is. Has the aluminum deck because like you I rinse mine after every mow. I went with the 159cc Toro engine, a little quieter and much better on gas.
^^^ this, those wash ports they put on mowers were the fastest way to rust out your deck ever invented. Blow them off with compressed air and if they are getting build up use a scraper or stick to clean under the deck after you pull the plug wire.
Plus they don't work.

The thumb paddle hasn't bothered me in the 5 yrs. I've owned the HRX. Wonderful mower! Only slight disadvantage is the weight. Other than that all plus'. Mulches beautifully w/its twin blades. Easy on gas and starts easily.

Kind of like the Snapper lever you palm to make it go, once adjusted correctly it was very comfortable to use.
When you say palm, made me think about how I use mine and I can't say. Not sure if I use just my thumb or the "ball" (??) of my thumb and palm. The thumb paddle is quite large on the Hondas.

When you say palm, made me think about how I use mine and I can't say. Not sure if I use just my thumb or the "ball" (??) of my thumb and palm. The thumb paddle is quite large on the Hondas.
I sort of test drove a Honda, it was in their parking lot and only for a couple minutes, it just didn't feel comfortable. One thing I do remember was how heavy it was, I have lot of ends and outs in my back yard and pulling the mower backwards is a pain, I'm seriously thinking about getting the new Toro that has assist when you pull the mower backwards.

Honda mowers are nice. I have a 23yr old one that still gets used from time to time.

I think you'll find a toro super recycler to be better at mulching though. They're night/day better than the standard recycler line like you had.

I sort of test drove a Honda, it was in their parking lot and only for a couple minutes, it just didn't feel comfortable. One thing I do remember was how heavy it was, I have lot of ends and outs in my back yard and pulling the mower backwards is a pain, I'm seriously thinking about getting the new Toro that has assist when you pull the mower backwards.
The handle is definitely different and takes some getting used to but I've had mine 4+ years now and I don't even think about it. Mine has the 160cc engine and the weight is a non-factor. I also pull it backwards along a 50' privacy fence because my yard has a downward slope there and going forward, it wants to constantly turn into the fence, so going backwards eliminates that. My previous mower was a Toro and what I disliked about it was ... the weight.

I have the right setting on the paddle and I really like it. The newer paddles are a little different than the older ones in that you can hold it down with more than just your thumb. I have carpal tunnel, so if I had to use just my thumb, I would be in some pain.

I always say only mow the grass when it is dry, other thing is to blow it off and not rinse it.
Unfortunately, living in South Louisiana, it's not often that the grass is dry (except for this summer, of course). I'm going to try blowing it off instead of rinsing it.

Unfortunately, living in South Louisiana, it's not often that the grass is dry (except for this summer, of course). I'm going to try blowing it off instead of rinsing it.

You shut me up, LOL, so I will have to come down there and blow the grass dry. Obviously your area is not the same as mine! Something tells me that a backpack blower will not dry this grass off before mowing?

I see what you mean - it looks like a steering wheel now (https://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers/models/hrx217vka). Other models still have the same thumb-style paddles.
That is different than the one I test drove, looks like it might be better. I think it was closer to this, not sure, that was close to 5 years ago.

images.jpg

You shut me up, LOL, so I will have to come down there and blow the grass dry. Obviously your area is not the same as mine! Something tells me that a backpack blower will not dry this grass off before mowing?
Hahaha...we just cut the grass wet or dry, including the commercial guys. It's usually not too bad.

Back