Honda HRN216 oil change

Last cut and leaf clean up of the year changed the oil before putting it away for the winter. Out Honda 10w30 in Honda 10w30. Cu about 1/4 acre lot.
IMG_2559.jpeg

These have to have oil dumped out from the topside. Do you like the plastic wheel-tires and thumb activated drive?

These have to have oil dumped out from the topside. Do you like the plastic wheel-tires and thumb activated drive?
I'm not the OP, But:

Yes you have to turn it on it's side to drain the oil, it works fine, and once you get the hang of it isn't messy, medium speed, not too fast, not too slow.

Thumb drive control nice, not as nice as a Hyrostatic 217, but better then the completion IMO.

Tires, not thrilled, too hard, HRX tires are A LOT better.

I'm not the OP, But:

Yes you have to turn it on it's side to drain the oil, it works fine, and once you get the hang of it isn't messy, medium speed, not too fast, not too slow.

Thumb drive control nice, not as nice as a Hyrostatic 217, but better then the completion IMO.

Tires, not thrilled, too hard, HRX tires are A LOT better.

If you have an oil extractor then there will be no need to tip the mower over for an oil change. That's what I do with my 216.

I have a Honda. Not impressed. I’m either pushing or chasing it. Those toy tires are a joke if the grass has just a little moisture. The plastic shroud in the mower deck distorted and the blade was hitting it. Took my tin snips and cut it out in several places. The carb jet has also clogged and it would hardly run. More work…. Honda should have never got in the lawn equipment business. This was the only mower available in my area during the pandemic. Really wanted the Toro Personal Pace.

Last edited:
Last cut and leaf clean up of the year changed the oil before putting it away for the winter. Out Honda 10w30 in Honda 10w30. Cu about 1/4 acre lot. View attachment 192263
That’s a nice machine I used to do a fresh oil change beginning of mowing season. My ocd i couldn’t see letting good oil sit and gather moisture over the winter. No wrong or right way just preference.

I have a Honda. Not impressed. I’m either pushing or chasing it. Those toy tires are a joke if the grass has just a little moisture. The plastic shroud in the mower deck distorted and the blade was hitting it. Took my tin snips and cut it out in several places. The carb jet has also clogged and it would hardly run. More work…. Honda should have never got in the lawn equipment business. This was the only mower available in my area during the pandemic. Really wanted the Toro Personal Pace.

I finally broke down and got a self-propelled Honda in 2019. I Due to age, bad knee and hip I was overdue Mow about .5 acre. I use only E0 gas with stabilizer but haven't had any starting or running problems. On models a bit older than mine, there had been a lot of trouble with a wax pellet in the automatic choke system. After I ran out of Honda 10w30, I went to SuperTech 10w30 SL ATV/motorcycle oil.

I don't hate mine, but I agree that those small hard plastic wheels are a joke. My only other complaint is the very poor soft steel they use in the blade including replacements. In 60 years of mowing, I would say that they're the cheesiest. Maybe most mowers are not so great any longer.

I finally broke down and got a self-propelled Honda in 2019. I Due to age, bad knee and hip I was overdue Mow about .5 acre. I use only E0 gas with stabilizer but haven't had any starting or running problems. On models a bit older than mine, there had been a lot of trouble with a wax pellet in the automatic choke system. After I ran out of Honda 10w30, I went to SuperTech 10w30 SL ATV/motorcycle oil.

I don't hate mine, but I agree that those small hard plastic wheels are a joke. My only other complaint is the very poor soft steel they use in the blade including replacements. In 60 years of mowing, I would say that they're the cheesiest. Maybe most mowers are not so great any longer.
It does seem that the blades won’t stay sharp long. I never hit any rocks, limbs, or debris. They dull quickly. Your assessment of soft metal blades is spot on. Honda builds decent cars and outboard boat motors, lawn equipment not so much.

I use only E0 gas with stabilizer but haven't had any starting or running problems.
Just currious to know why you add a fuel stabilizer to E0 gasoline. Do you let it sit in the tank for more than six months? I gave up on fuel stabilzers a few years ago after swithching to E0 for all OPE. Thus far I've had only one fuel related issue and that involved fuel sitting in a an unused machine for two years. Once that machine was drained and refilled it went right back to normal operation.

Just currious to know why you add a fuel stabilizer to E0 gasoline. Do you let it sit in the tank for more than six months? I gave up on fuel stabilzers a few years ago after swithching to E0 for all OPE. Thus far I've had only one fuel related issue and that involved fuel sitting in a an unused machine for two years. Once that machine was drained and refilled it went right back to normal operation.
I add stabilizer to my 5 gal. container of E0 when I fill it for home use. Since I went to an electric snowblower last year (and scarcely used that) my only home gas use is mowing and a bit of pre-mix for the chainsaw and string trimmer. Sometimes, that 5 gal can is around for more than 6 months. Also, I don't drain the mower or motorcycle tank for the 5 month winter layover. I agree that the E0 should be fine for 6 months without stabilizer. Stabilizer takes that at least another 6 months. I have had E0 pre-mix that sat around too long, even with stabilizer added.

Back