Honda GSV190

I have a 1967 John Deere model 60 lawn tractor I am somewhat restoring ground up. When I purchased the mower the original Tecumpseh engine was locked up but knowing cast iron blocks it should have been a peice of cake to rebuild. Well after I tore the entire motor apart it just wasnt happening. And to find a replacement, well... that isnt happening. So with Hours and weeks of research, reading, and measurements, after joining countless facecook pages and reading forums and asking questions. So many people just simply said that its not possible. Well I found the new heart of this bad boy. Honda! I have mocked up and somewhat installed the engine and it will work fine. I am still in the process of tear down, cleaning and painting parts but very soon I will be putting it back together. My stepdad and an old timer i work with says the honda motor has [censored] the John Deere, but I simply replied "John Deere sells Honda". Also many came with Kawasaki engines... anyway. I hope to finish before anyone catches wiff and beats me to it, but I may have the only 1967 JD Model 60 with a Honda engine in the world!!! My question is: I am going to break the engine in with SuperTech 10w30 lawn mower oil. Run for an hour and change to ? Whats a great oil for a lawnmower engine? Ive been using pp in my cub cadet and has worked flawless. But i want this sucker to last. The supertech lawnmower oil API SJ. Amzoil has specific lawnmower oil for "splash lubrication", are the two any different than running any other conventional?

FB_IMG_1554681877314.jpg

I replaced the Kawasaki on my Snapper mower with the Honda GSV190. Quite simply, it's an awesome little engine with excellent torque.

Its much farther along than in this now, its down to almost bare frame. And the engine cover will be jd green not red... Im also going to change gear oil, I have a couple bottles of supertech 80w90 to fill it up with. I think I may go with your 15w40 recommendation. Ill probobly change once a year, its not going to be used much, and the deck probobly not at all. My yard is too small for it. I may be taking it to my parents house just for room to ride it when its finished. Would supertech be sufficient for one year oci?

20190115_202307.jpg

20190124_142635.jpg

Yes! Super neat project indeed. Keep us posted!

I didn't realize JD made a rider with a vertical shaft engine back in 1967. Lots of options there.

That Honda GX will purr along on anything resembling engine oil, but like you, I like 15w40 over SAE30. Honda has always tended to blanket their recommendation to 10w30. To me, that recommendation is all about availability of that grade and simplicity.

It has been over a year since I've touched the tractor. I finally got a get it done attitude and finished it up a few weeks ago. She runs great, Ive even bought a John Deere dump trailer for it and have been using it to haul leaves and stuff around. I have been seeing other Model 60s with different engines being put in them, but have yet to see another with a Honda motor! I left the hood alone, I like the way it looks "used" from the scars of love it has received from its previous owner. Fun project, I can still put the mower deck on and run it but for now its retired for trailer duty only.
20201024_105246.jpg
20201024_105236[188].jpg

Those engines are leaps and bounds superior to the tecumseh engine that was on there. I'd opt to try the mower deck. You will be amazed at the power.....

Question.....how do you start it up? Rigged electric starter, or open hood and pull rope?

The part I don't get is how a lawn tractor can work effectively with such a small engine. The smallest contemporary John Deere comes with a 500 cc engine. Mine has a 724 cc V-Twin. Are the new ones actually overpowered but marketed based upon Horsepower or what?

Yeah that would be fine for light hauling, but it can't be enough hp to mow with unless the blades are really sharp and the grass is not tall at all. What was the displacement or hp of the original engine?

With the deck that came with that mower from the factory and the way the transaxle is geared, that engine will power that rider w/out issue. That's a small riding mower.

Amazing how the exhaust and air filter housing seem to fit just right. Looks great! Awesome work.

The part I don't get is how a lawn tractor can work effectively with such a small engine. The smallest contemporary John Deere comes with a 500 cc engine. Mine has a 724 cc V-Twin. Are the new ones actually overpowered but marketed based upon Horsepower or what?

Yes, while extra power is nice, they don't "need" that much. My John Deere has a 54" deck and a 25hp V-Twin Kohler. I have yet to labor the engine even in tall grass or heavy snow with a 42" snow blower.

Its pull start, I tried making the key switch be able to turn it off, but it doesnt work so im using the factory kill/choke on throttle. The power is plenty. Im 300lbs and live on a very steep hill and it goes up and down fine. Original motor was 6hp, the Honda is 5.1. The tractor is ran with series of belts and pulleys to the gearbox thats how it makes the torque. The drive pulley has 2 settings, slow or fast, gearbox is 3 speed with reverse which makes it 6 speed. i have it on the fast pulleys and it works perfect. 3rd gear she hauls... I know it does sound like a tiny push mower motor wouldnt work, but it works. The tractor is about 3/4 of the size or smaller than a 110, it looks bigger in pics.
20201105_123349.jpg
1604602428062109013468130294861.jpg
1604602471242110036103589152121.jpg

Back