Honda GCV wet timing belt.

I remember the service guys saying this engine design will never last and that these engines would be total garbage. Not the case as we have seen these to age well overall with proper care. Yeah they are throw away engines but....onto my question:

Over time as the wet belt ages and starts to stretch, will these engines start to loose some noticeable power? I have replaced two crankshafts (got bent) and one had a noticeably looser belt than the other, to a point I was nervous to reassemble without replacing it. I never got to use the mower as the crank was so bent you could not operate it. I looked close at the cam gear and it appears that just like a chevy 350, as the belt stretches the cam timing starts to retard.

I adjusted the valve on mine the other day, noticed my belt slides on the cam quite easily. The engine is 6 years old now, normal use. I haven’t really noticed ay kind of power loss.

Here is a photo of a replacement valve cover embossed with HONDA showing the spot welded flange. The original that came with this 6 year old Honda GCV 160 did not have it.

A6281ADF-064F-44C0-BBA7-A5956F026CF4.png3670255C-73E1-4C40-B058-1B8B7B6F075F.png

Last edited:
Good to know its not across the board. Will have to pay closer attention. Whats the chances they slip off?

Back