Honda Gc190, what workhorse!

I was given a xr2500 pressure washer wthe a GC190. It looks like it was used hard, never had the oil changed, never had the s p changed, and the pump was fashizzled. It was manufactured April of 2003. It has been sitting outside, unused for 5 yrs.

Brought it in, took off the old pump, changed the oil and spark plug. The gas was also 5 yrs old in the tank. I didn't think to change the gas. Pulled the starter rope with no load, started on the second pull. The little engine ran like a champ. It'll be getting more love from now on.
and ran like a champ on the second pull.

I started my mower after sitting 3 years in my garage for 3 years. It ran but only if I held the choke open all the time. It eventually cleared after about a year of fresh gas running through. Still runs to this day. Honda gcv160

I had to finish mowing at a newly aquired property right before a rainstorm. There was a big wine jug that has was tagged stale - for cleaning only, but there was no dirt or silt in it. It was orange color but completely clean and transparent. It was really bad and guess what the tractor ran fine. Exhaust smelled terrible like rotten varnish. I have used fresh ethanol free since and the carb and engine remain perfect.

My guess is small engines sometimes do not care, depending on the carburetor jetting and design.

The GC190 will no doubt outlast the equipment if the oil level is maintained.

Sorry - but I doubt that five year old gas would start and run. Actually I doubt that two year old gas would run. Check yyour records and get back to us.
According to the guy who gave it to me. It sat behind his shed for 4-5 years without him touching it. Then he offered it out for free, then I took it.
After I started it ,I smelled the gas and it had that stale/funky smell, like it's been in there a long time. So, I believe the gas was 4 to 5 yrs old.

According to the guy who gave it to me. It sat behind his shed for 4-5 years without him touching it. Then he offered it out for free, then I took it.
After I started it ,I smelled the gas and it had that stale/funky smell, like it's been in there a long time. So, I believe the gas was 4 to 5 yrs old.
I cannot say if that is impressive or mirraculous. I've had a shed stored generator sit for two years with 89 octane E0 and it wouldn't satrt without starting fluid or keep running for more than a few seconds after that.

I have a GC190 on my "repowered" Snapper commercial mower. It's a good engine and has held up fairly well for some years. However, it is starting to smoke a bit now. The original Kawasaki engine never smoked and held up for 20+ years. The Kawasaki only died after the 2nd time I straightened the bent crankshaft, from hitting stumps.

I do use the thing fairly hard, as it mowed 2 acres in PA and does regular "woods" duty at my FL house.

I'll change the oil and put in some 5W-40. If it starts to smoke too badly, it gets replaced. Not putting up with that.

Back