Honda folks: Maintenance Minder OCI lenghts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sold my 08 Malibu and bought a 2010 Civic LX 1.8/5 speed man. I am used to/familiar with the OLM from GM and was wondering what king of OCI lenghts the Maintenance Minder system is giving you guys? Thanks!

I'd probably go 6 months/7500 miles using PP, Synpower, M1 etc...and see with the MM says. If it says 50% left I'd stretch it out....if it says 10% I'd change it out.

PS: Why did you get rid of the Malibu?

I'd be curious on how the maintenance minder works. Is it based on miles driven, or the length (hours:minutes:seconds on the oil), or is it more scientific; dealing with the actual "lubricity" of the oil and/or lasting additives? Guessing it's the first or second, or a mix of the 2
wink.gif
But you should be fine following the manufacturer normal maintenance (unless you fall under the severe driving).

My 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD fits in the severe service category because I only drive it about 1.8 miles each way to work, there are plenty of other very short trips for errands, etc., and it doesn't see very frequent highway mileage. I put maybe 5k miles a year on it. The oil may get up to operating temp a couple times a month. In the summer I tow a roughly 2100 pound camper on ~3-8 hour road trips a few times. The OLM has been giving me about 5000 mile OCIs, maybe less. I'll pay closer attention next time. This interval I'm running SSO 0W-30 because I want the high TBN and good additives to deal with the condensation and fuel dilution likely from my very short commutes. Never done a UOA but I might send one into Dyson or Blackstone at the next change, which will probably be April or May, and will post results.

For those interested on why I dumped the Malibu... I have always been a Honda head and I traded in my RSX-S when my son was born on a "sensible" family sedan. However, once the Malibu's newness wore off, I continued to discover more and more of GM's shortcomings to go along with multiple trips to the dealer for maintenance issues. It was really just a so-so vehicle, with average mpg, and INCREDIBLY boring to drive. No personality at all. So, I sold it and went back to a Honda. Even my wife, who drives the Silverado, noted how much more "solid" the Civic felt. To each their own though, and I refuse to turn this into a domestic vs. import thread, so please dont...

Last edited:
i imagine it is similar to GMs... my OLM goes to 10k at least in warm weather, normal driving and 8k in cold weather

My 2008 Civic Si goes about 6,000 to 7,000 miles when it hits 15%

Wife's 2009 Pilot goes about 5,000 to 6,000 miles when it hits 15%

Civic has a high output 2.0 I4 w/ 6 speed manual
Pilot has a 3.5 V6 w/ 5 speed auto

Sold my '06 Civic EX Coupe w/85K to a friend, was going to get an '09 when they had their year end deal, couldn't find an '09 in the color I wanted (white) so I went for a '10 for just $200 more. I've driven nothing but Civics as daily drivers for 20 years,(I really like Civics!) the '06 was the first with an OLM. Since changing to M1 in the late 90's I went to 5k changes. On the '06, the OLM was usually at 40% at 5K. Since the OLM does not actually perform any kind of test of oil quality and is really a time/distance/temp/speed database, I've stuck with the 5K changes using M1 5W20 & M1-110 filters, easier to schedule service & it synchronizes with the other maintenance intervals. I guess I'm just a dinosaur with a GPS.......I don't like running anything down to the last 5%, including tires.

What is your driving situation...how many miles daily...percent of city/hwy.

How many miles do you put on the vehicle yearly (approximate)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back