Honda eu200i hiccuping @ low idle - fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Just wanted to share the fix to a common issue that comes with new carbuteted equipment. My Honda eu2000i since day one has had a little "hiccup" here and there every few seconds when ran on economy mode which idles the generator at the lowest speed necessary when inverter loads are low. Hearing these little nuances is what I have learned in the years of me turning wrenches and tuning machines by ear, throttle response and feel. Finally I had enough of this little minor irritation and fixed it exactly how I fix any other machines..... remove the casting tangs on the carburetor and anti tamper cap on the air fuel mixture screw. You have to be careful because manufactures make these screws so that they break if ever tampered with therefore causing the mandatory purchase of new carburetors. I call it removing the emission settings. The fuel screw was 3/4 turn out factory, when it finally cleaned up and ran smooth and stopped hiccuping was at 4 turns..... I hope this helps anyone that may have this issue. I do this modification to any of my carburetor machines and they always last thousands of hours. This allows makes the engine run much cooler, which is easier on the engine and oil.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

..The fuel screw was 3/4 turn out factory, when it finally cleaned up and ran smooth and stopped hiccuping was at 4 turns....

You filed away the area to the Left of the screw ?
You turned the screw counter-clockwise 4 complete 360 degree rotations ?

[Linked Image]

I would want a tach reading of how fast the engine is spinning. Otherwise your 60hz power cycle could be way off.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I would want a tach reading of how fast the engine is spinning. Otherwise your 60hz power cycle could be way off.

It's an inverter generator.

Inverter genny doesn't really care what speed the engine is running at, they take whatever they are fed ramp it up into the kHz range run it through a small transformer to adjust voltage then readjust frequency and spit out a nice clean 60Hz. Neat bit of gear in there, revolutionary in the welding world

EPA? We're Chinese, we doan need no steenking EPA rules! One redeeming quality of the Chinese carb clones. You can tune them
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
EPA? We're Chinese, we doan need no steenking EPA rules! One redeeming quality of the Chinese carb clones. You can tune them
grin2.gif

I bought one for my snow blower off Ebay that appeared to be running lean brand new. I tried removing the main jet to check it but it appears to have been screwed in with a thread locker. It would not come out and the soft brass just tore up trying to remove it. That was a first for me, usually the main jets just unscrew without any problems. Otherwise I've had great luck with the cheap Chinese replacement carbs for my various OPE's. They sure beat the brand name Chinese made carbs that are 4X the price of the "cheap" Chinese replacement carbs
grin2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by henni
..The fuel screw was 3/4 turn out factory, when it finally cleaned up and ran smooth and stopped hiccuping was at 4 turns....

You filed away the area to the Left of the screw ?
You turned the screw counter-clockwise 4 complete 360 degree rotations ?

[Linked Image]

There are two shoulders that have to be ground away with a dremel tool that allow the carburetor air fuel screw to rotate. I chose to grind down the hump on the anti tamper cap where the flathead goes. 6 to one, half dozen to another, it all gets the job done. Yes the fuel screw was out 3/4 turn counter clockwise from its maximum lean adjustment (clockwise). It started to sound better at 3 turns out and ran completely smooth at 4 complete turns out. Tuning a engine like this dramatically lowers cylinder head temps on air/oil cooled engines.

Originally Posted by andyd
grin2.gif

Its actually a keihn carburetor. To my knowledge they are made in Japan or USA.......
Regardless where they are made, a carburetor is a carburetor.... they all work off the same principle.
All carburetors can be tuned if you know what to listen for and how to do it....... even the really cheap ones can be tuned if you know what Welch plug to drill out..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cpayne5

It's an inverter generator.

Originally Posted by ironman_gq

Inverter genny doesn't really care what speed the engine is running at, they take whatever they are fed ramp it up into the kHz range run it through a small transformer to adjust voltage then readjust frequency and spit out a nice clean 60Hz. Neat bit of gear in there, revolutionary in the welding world

Didn't know that! Thanks!

3/4 turn vs 4 turns seems like a lot. how has this impacted runtime? Mine would run about 8-9 hours with two kitchen fridges and 3 ceiling fans.

Originally Posted by meep
3/4 turn vs 4 turns seems like a lot. how has this impacted runtime? Mine would run about 8-9 hours with two kitchen fridges and 3 ceiling fans.

To be honest, I never have really clocked it....... though I would much prefer something I paid alot of money for run properly rather than lean and having that typical "lean miss". Fuel economy never was a worry of mine, I just put fuel in it when it stops running..... depending on load, 4-8 hours would be my guess.
If I were to put a number on it, I would say at most it would decrease fuel economy 5%.

Here is a working parts chart from mikuni. Even though it's a small percentage, the air fuel screw does affect the entire tune from idle and the transitioning circuit to the main jet and needle.
[Linked Image]

PHBG...PHVA...etc...aint those dell'orto abbervations?

And those carburetors are different kind ones than those on generators...

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
PHBG...PHVA...etc...aint those dell'orto abbervations?

And those carburetors are different kind ones than those on generators...

They use KEIHN carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back