Honda CVT - Metal Shavings on Drain Plug

Hi all,

Vehicle in question is a 2016 Honda CRV 2WD with a CVT transmission and 37,600 miles on the odometer. I changed the CVT fluid last week (using Honda HCF 2) and was a little surprised to find grease and metal shavings on the transmissions drain plug. I wasn't aware the the drain plug is magnetic (honestly, I'm still not sure if it is, I failed to check) and if it's not, I assume the metal shavings stuck to the grease?

I wiped off the shavings and the grease from the plug before reinstalling.

I'm not (yet) concerned, but wanted to post here to see if this looks normal or if I should start becoming concerned and learning more.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 329
I'm not a CVT expert, but the shavings look normal for that mileage. For the grease, you might want another opinion, but Honda CVTs seem to be alright. At least you're changing the fluid it which is 90% of the battle. If everything looks good I'd change it every 30k miles. Fluid is cheap and it only takes a few minutes.

In some circles that is called "wear grease" or fretting. Clutch material with ferrous traces trapped by the magnet. We are on our second Honda late model CVT. I was proactive about D & F's on the Accord we recently sold; now basically the same CVT on our CR-V. We acquired it with approx 7800 miles on it after 3 years so I did the first D & F on it at about 8500 miles. Some say overkill, but I am a believer in getting break in wear material out of a gearbox. Keep us updated as far as this CVT's behavior after your D & F. The Honda HCF2 fluid would dampen a whistle like gear/chain whine for a while but it would return after about 20K miles; not a bad thing, but once I switched to Eneos CVT fluid that whine/whistle went away.

Thank you all for the knowledge and input. Will rest easy(ier) now.

I failed to mention, but the old fluid looked pretty good when drained. The first 1/3 to drain was considerably darker/thicker, but by the last 1/3 it looked practically new.

And yes, I’m following the “severe condition” maintenance schedule (for most things) as we live in LA and stop and go, hill climbing, and heat are all things on a regular basis.

Thanks again!

Severe operation capped at 25,000 by Fuchs,Motul and Liquimoly for CVT Transmission fluid maintenance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201111-010342.png
    Screenshot_20201111-010342.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20201111-010506.png
    Screenshot_20201111-010506.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20201111-010624.png
    Screenshot_20201111-010624.png
    109.6 KB · Views: 46
When I did a 3x drain and fill on my 2017 accord sport at around 30K miles it looked like that, maybe not as much grease or whatever it is. Fluid was pretty dark. I refilled with amsoil cvt (just because I wanted to) and will do a single drain/fill every 30-40K here on out

Document the fluid change. Pics are great. Could help sell the car as well maintained some day.

The tiny shavings are normal. Nothing to worry about. Keep changing the fluid every 30 to 45 k miles and that will help a lot. Cvt trans needs fluid changes more than conventional automatics in my opinion.

That car is about to blow up! If you just give it to me right away I will be doing you a great favor taking it off your hands!

All kidding aside, that is perfectly normal, probably breakin material. Future services will show minimal debris.
Good on you for servicing your Honda CVT; it will serve you well.

Thanks all for the follow through. We haven't been driving much since I last posted this due to work from home, new baby, etc etc...

Will try to remember to update during the next CVT fluid change to note the differences, if any.

Back