Honda CV axle grease (inner & outer)

Hey Folks,

I have an intermittent wobble/vibration going on and I'd like to add some grease to the axles of my '07 CR-V. Boots are intact, but I'm not sure what grease to use. I've heard that the inner grease may differ from that of the outer joint grease and wanted to consult the pros.

This is an easy & cheap thing to troubleshoot/fix and I'd like to give it a whirl. The car has 207k miles on it, and the axles are all original, boots are intact. It could be the rear axles too, but it feels like the vibration is coming from the front.

Yes, brake drag, warped rotors, out of balance and/or worn tires, alignment, ball joints, tie rods... ;) I'm trying the grease as it seems to fit the bill for what I'm experiencing.

--Cheers and thank you!

It’s a total waste of time to add grease to a worn joint that is sealed.

Either buy a new CV shaft or rebuild the inner joints and reboot them with new grease.

Fair, but I'm asking about grease at this point.

Please, someone humor me.

I know the boots come with the grease...the axles may be worn and need replacing, but it 20 mins and $10 gets a couple years, or yields no result, then I'll know what needs to be done next.

It’s a total waste of time to add grease to a worn joint that is sealed.

Either buy a new CV shaft or rebuild the inner joints and reboot them with new grease.

Likely, but 20 mins and $10 is better than a $300 OEM Honda axle atm.
You don't need to replace the axle. The axle needs to be removed to add grease, anyway.

If you insist on regreasing, clean it out and use Redline CV axle grease.

edit: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...2wd-ka_5at/chassis/driveshaft_half_shaft.html

Inner Joint and boot kit are probably low $200 range from a local dealer. The problem is most likely the passenger side one, but the driver side one can be a contributor too. Plan on doing both.

You don't need to replace the axle. The axle needs to be removed to add grease, anyway.

If you insist on regreasing, clean it out and use Redline CV axle grease.

edit: https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts...2wd-ka_5at/chassis/driveshaft_half_shaft.html

Inner Joint and boot kit are probably low $200 range from a local dealer. The problem is most likely the passenger side one, but the driver side one can be a contributor too. Plan on doing both.
Duplicate. Apologies.

Last edited:
I'll *try* to slide a 16g needle under there and inject that thick grease in....yes, I know, golfball through a garden hose. The point is, if the axle needs to come off, it'll be replaced.

I'd rather replace the axle altogether, rather than unfurl that greasy mess to replace the joint. I need the SWA parts, anyway, so it's 75-90% of the cost toward an entirely new axle.

Cheaper axles are available, but I've heard they can be of poorer quality (shorter boot/bearing life, out of balance, etc.).

Critic, I appreciate your effort, truly. Can/should that Redline CV grease be used on the inner joint as well?

I'll *try* to slide a 16g needle under there and inject that thick grease in....yes, I know, golfball through a garden hose. The point is, if the axle needs to come off, it'll be replaced.

I'd rather replace the axle altogether, rather than unfurl that greasy mess to replace the joint. I need the SWA parts, anyway, so it's 75-90% of the cost toward an entirely new axle.

Cheaper axles are available, but I've heard they can be of poorer quality (shorter boot/bearing life, out of balance, etc.).

Critic, I appreciate your effort, truly. Can/should that Redline CV grease be used on the inner joint as well?
Most of those inner cv boots use a reusable clamp, but you need this type of plier:

You can probably peel back the boot and add grease if you desire. The Redline grease is advertised for all applications, but it is up to you.

Back