Honda CRV power steering oil substitute

Hola,

My son's 04 CRV needs a power steering oil flush. What would you used as a substitute for the initial flush. I got 3 Honda Steering Fluid bottles but would probably need more. I can probably buy another 3 or find a good substitute to push out the old fluid.

I am open for ideas,

TKS:)

Honda's are pretty easy to flush, drain the reservoir with an extractor of some kind, move the return hose so it drains into something (you'll need another hose) and plug the reservoir return, add fresh fluid and turn the wheel knock to knock with the engine OFF but the key in the run position, refill. Rinse repeat until you've purged most of the old fluid. I just did this yesterday on our Odyssey.

Hola,

My son's 04 CRV needs a power steering oil flush. What would you used as a substitute for the initial flush. I got 3 Honda Steering Fluid bottles but would probably need more. I can probably buy another 3 or find a good substitute to push out the old fluid.

I am open for ideas,

TKS:)

If there is an Advance Auto Parts store near you, I'd go with the Fram PS fluid for Hondas. It is on sale for more than half off right now.

1716212590743.jpg

I'd like to second the recommendation for the LubeGard fluid. The performance numbers are the best I've seen. You can get it at NAPA and the Honda/Acura part number is 24242. I think it's $15/quart.

Too easy. Raise front wheels (optional).
Suck out reservoir with MityVac.
Pull return line and plug reservoir port.
Attach MityVac to return line and suck out old fluid. Turn steering wheel lock to lock (optional).
If you wish, remove reservoir and clean out with brake cleaner spray.
Fill reservoir and continue to extract fluid until it runs clean.

Let reservoir run low (less messy) and replace return line.
Fill reservoir, let engine idle.

I've used Honda, Lubegard and O'Reilly Honda spec fluid. All good.

Last edited:
Honda's are pretty easy to flush, drain the reservoir with an extractor of some kind, move the return hose so it drains into something (you'll need another hose) and plug the reservoir return, add fresh fluid and turn the wheel knock to knock with the engine OFF but the key in the run position, refill. Rinse repeat until you've purged most of the old fluid. I just did this yesterday on our Odyssey.
How can you get the old fluid out if the engine is not running to pump out the old?

How can you get the old fluid out if the engine is not running to pump out the old?
With the engine off and the front end jacked up a little, turn knock to knock and it will cycle out old fluid, just have to keep topping off the reservoir.

I used some of the AutoZone Shop Pro Hinda fluid in my daughter's '08. Her metal power steering line was rotting out, lost most fluid and they were the only ones open to get something. That stuff smelled like a$$. It worked, got me the 2 hours home with only 2 reservoir fills total.

I replaced with the Honda fluid after repair.

Back