Honda Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ChromiumSteel:
We have a tC. The Si handles better.

I'm sure it does.
90% of the time I'm sitting in traffic on the FWY, so handling isn't the primary concern
wink.gif

When I want handling, I get on my Honda motorcycles.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
You drive a GTO and are criticising another car on mpg?
dunno.gif

I understand the point he's trying to make (I guess most don't). For the given engine size and actual performance (or lack thereof), plus the supposedly "phenomenal technology" involved, the Si should get better mileage then it does!
As far as magazine testers "driving the pi$$" out of their test subjects, and therefore not getting "real world" mpg figures, maybe. But this is NOT substantiated by the fact that they almost always get slower 0-60 & 1/4 mile times out of performance cars, then said car's real capabilities. Maybe they still drive "too hard" to get good mpg figures, but not hard enough to get top performance numbers?
dunno.gif
Or maybe they just cannot drive at all??
lol.gif

BTW; 6 speed LSxx engined cars (GTOs, Vettes,Z28s,Trans Ams, Formulas) can get >30 mpg on the highway at 65 mph+, and >20 city (without too many
burnout.gif
lol.gif
).

I don't like Honda 4 bangers solely for the fact that they have no low-end torque and even their mid-range is so-so. I would never feel comfortable regularly winding any engine up over 6,000 RPM to extract decent performance. Definitely don't want to have to drive it like I stole it in order to have a little fun.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
So, this is a tiny car, and its highway mileage rating is only 32mpg?!?!

That's pretty sad considering my Corvette can get 31 MPG on the highway and it's got about 375hp.

imo, just a guess...but the thing about muscle cars getting great mpg with V8s and stuff is that hey, you are driving them like grannies. Keep on my tail for a day and see how the mpg does. I get my 30-32 BLASTING around and steady 80-90-100 on the highway. When I compare it to the miles I got with my V6 Audi, I know it's not actually fair because I am driving MUCH faster with the Acura. That's just how it is and it's just weak sauce to claim great miles with tons of power on tap, if you drive it like my mom. I would take the bet that after a day of pacing the Si, the 'Vette would suck through twice as much gas.

"That's pretty sad considering my Corvette can get 31 MPG on the highway and it's got about 375hp." Yes it is a little sad, but, how much did you pay for the Corvette?

Have you seen the new VW "Rabbit"? 22 mpg city and 30 mpg highway! Are they joking? And it's such a cute little hatchback too!
frown.gif
(IMO)

(BTW, those are the figures for the car with an automatic AND a manual transmission.) 150HP @ 5,000 rpm, and 170 lb-ft of torque @ 3,750 rpm. Fun to drive probably, but I just don't understand what the mediocre fuel economy in all these new little cars is all about. Oh well.

http://www.vw.com/rabbit/photos_ext.html
^^^pics

Forgot to mention the base is around $15k. Also, I'm not saying it's going to go over like a lead balloon just because the fuel economy is bad; I'm sure that's not important to everyone they're trying to sell this car too. However, if they added 10mpg to the city and highway numbers, this car (and others like it) would be getting a serious look from ol johnsmith. That's all.

[ June 30, 2006, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: johnsmith ]

Have you seen the new VW "Rabbit"? 22 mpg city and 30 mpg highway! Are they joking? And it's such a cute little hatchback too!

Made in Mexico.

I like my beer cold, my women with blue hair, my homosexuals flaming, and my Volkswagens made in Germany! -Homer Simpson

I am also pretty disappointed at the MPG numbers I am seeing for some of these new small cars. OK, so the Si makes 200 HP. It is still a light, aerodynamic (I guess?), front wheel drive, four cylinder car. For comparison, my Ford Ranger will easily get 28 MPG doing around 70-75 MPH (and I'm sure it would do even better at lower speeds). It has very poor aerodynamics, a heavy ladder frame, very old school all cast iron SOHC engine, rear wheel drive, a solid rear axle, etc... Basically, my truck has a lot working against it, so I would expect much more than a 2-4 MPG difference between it and these cars.

I was getting nearly the same 26-30 with the 20 year-old Coupe GT I-5. Heavier, less hp more tq not to different overall...but 20 years old. I will say, I also don't see great mpg coming from new cars, and few are making much over 30 mpg. I see what Winston is getting at, but the Si is not a great example. I saw an Aveo-thing at the dealer, it said "32 mpg" in big yellow writing on the windshield, I was like "huh"? Drive THAT lil pice of crap and only get 32....there, THAT'S something to complain about.

I'm with you man... my VW 2.0T has gobs of low end torque and gets about the same mileage as the Si. I have never been a fan of the gutless Honda 9k rpm 4 banger. Might as well put motorcycle engine in the car.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
I saw an Aveo-thing at the dealer, it said "32 mpg" in big yellow writing on the windshield, I was like "huh"? Drive THAT lil pice of crap and only get 32....there, THAT'S something to complain about.

The EPA says the Aveo is good for 24 city / 35 highway depending on the transmission. That is bad for such a small car. They only have a 1.6L engine and weigh just 2400 lbs.

quote:

Originally posted by JavaMan:
"That's pretty sad considering my Corvette can get 31 MPG on the highway and it's got about 375hp." Yes it is a little sad, but, how much did you pay for the Corvette?

I bought it used so it was cheaper than a new Civic Si actually.

quote:

Originally posted by bighead:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

That's pretty sad considering my Corvette can get 31 MPG on the highway and it's got about 375hp.

Thanks to that lovely 6th gear which lets that V8 purrrr along at what, 1500 RPMs (maybe lower) at 70+ mph
grin.gif

Mine is auto with the performance axle (3.15 ratio) so it revs closer to 1900 at 70mph. With a 6 speed (or auto with 2.73s) I could probably get 32-33 MPG!

The Corvette is amazing... Supercar performance with economy car effeciency. When GM wants they can do something right.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Is that GWN gallons or the Queen Anne's Wine Gallon of 1707 (aka US gallon).

That's in miles per US gallon, as it's the reading I got from my trip computer (which I know to be very accurate as I've double checked it many times and it's always within a tenth of a mpg)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back