Honda brake rotor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I changed the calipers, pads and rotors on my wifes Accord today. The small screws that attach the rotors to the hub were rusted frozen and I had to drill them out. I never replaced them because the rotors are secured by the lug studs and nuts. This shouldn't be a problem right?

I am asking are these screws necessary. Several cars that I've owned in the past did not have them. The rotor is held in place by the lugs and also by the caliper itself. I was just hoping to have a mechanic tell me I'm right about this.

You're right.
wink.gif

I replaced the screws on the wife's Accord so the rotors won't fall off when the wheel is removed but they aren't "necessary".
cheers.gif

PB: Thanks. I would have to actually remove the caliper for the rotor to come off. Judging by the old ones I won't have to worry about that happening (I had to spray them with Liquid Wrench and use a gear puller to get them off the spindle). From an 'engineering' standpoint I really didn't see any reason to replace these screws. Thanks again.

Yeah pbm, I didn't mean fall right off, just rattle around.
My wife's accord is a '93 so the front rotors aren't going to fall off anyway. It takes a major overhaul to change those puppies. There ought to be a law against putting rotors on the INSIDE !! ... numbskulls !!
bop.gif

If you remove and replace those original screws with some anti seize each time the tires are rotated, they come off easily when the time comes.
Perhaps you could chase the threads of the drilled out screws and get some replacements ?? Really doesn't matter that much in the long run.
cheers.gif

I've had problems w/ those little phillips head screws,too. Problem is solved 99.5% of the time with an impact driver wrench. Sears sells them; not very expensive.

There are benefits to those screws: If you're changing tires in a sandstorm, the screws will hold the rotor on tight, and no sand will get between the hub and rotor and cause vibration. They're also useful for pushing a frozen rotor off the hub. (But of course if the rotor's frozen, then the screws surely are too.)

they must have a benefit otherwise they wouldnt be there and it would be cheaper to make the car.

on the other hand some cars dont have them. my dodge stratus doesnt have them on the rearend.

The front rotors of the 91-93 Accords are a major pain. I've tried once to remove them but couldn't. I lacked one critical tool as I learned later - a slide hammer. Regular hammering didn't work
frown.gif

Supposedly, they're to hold the rotor on when its on the assembly line.

Not sure that i believe that, just thought i'd throw it out as a possiblity.

i have a special tool for those. you unbolt the hat, spin it and set up this tool and it pulls them right off. takes about 5 mintues a side. MATCO sells it. well worth the $220 or however much i paid for it. ive done a few of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back