HONDA AT FINALLY LIKE NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JTK
That is great info. Makes you wonder how many Honda ATs got toasted over time just due to sluggish sensors.

I wonder, too, and suspect the sluggish sensors were a quiet, insidious issue for many whether 4cyl or V6. That's why I did mine as PM. As others have noted, the two switches were the same.

The main issue of the earlier gen 5 speed autos was inadequate gear or bearing lubrication, as I recall. Some may recall more accurately, but it was along those lines. It seemed more of an issue with the Odysseys given heavier weight though don't know that was ever confirmed. May be more anecdotal than factual on that.

The fix was external tubing to reroute extra ATF to the top of the trans case (it was very obvious if it had been installed) where that weak point could get more lubrication. Later models...don't recall when Honda changed it, maybe 2006 or so?...had the rerouting internally.

Originally Posted by eagle23
Originally Posted by JTK
That is great info. Makes you wonder how many Honda ATs got toasted over time just due to sluggish sensors.

The fix was external tubing to reroute extra ATF to the top of the trans case (it was very obvious if it had been installed) where that weak point could get more lubrication. Later models...don't recall when Honda changed it, maybe 2006 or so?...had the rerouting internally.

My 05 Pilot was post internal fix. IIRC internal fix was midyear eiither 2003 or 2004.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
I usually get a little flare from 1st to 2nd when the ATF is cold, like below 65F. Goes away after it starts to warm after a few shifts. 2003 Accord 2.4L 148k mi. with Castrol IMVF. What ATF are you running?

Good info to know if I start having similar problems.

Sorry late replay

I use Honda DW-1 or Idiemutsu DW-1

Right now I have HG DW-1

I have never used anything else but those listed above.

Originally Posted by macarose
I just did this on a 2003 Honda CR-V yesterday.

Strange question. Does the transmission need to be reprogrammed in any way once you install it? My mechanic said yes but I would love a second opinion.

mine didnt need it and its still perfect....

i dunno why your mechanic would say that

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Great information for any Gen 6 owner.
I wonder how many of these allegedly glass transaxles have been replaced where the fix could have been as simple as this switch replacement?

7Probably many.. I had taken to trans shops and they would say... CLASSIC sign on them HONDA BXA7-1.. then they would say sorry to tell you this but your on borrowed time and says its going to be big $ to fix..
All this time it was a switch.. Matter of fact a customer at work had the same exact problem with his Honda and I sold him the switch via ATP brand and he came back the next day and was so happy.. I I think its very common

Originally Posted by benjamming
Originally Posted by mclasser
Wow... a 6th gen V6 tranny w/250k is a unicorn!!

Glad she's running smoothly again
thumbsup2.gif

My '02 V6 with 4-speed AT has 247k miles. I appreciate the information on these pressure switches. Which p/n is for 2nd gear & which is for 3rd gear? How did you come about this information?

According to my work computer and World Pac if you have the B7XA then they are both the same 33PSI
now some have 2 different ones and one will be green and one will be black..

here is the one for my car

J228600P7Z003, AT Oil Pressure ** J in part number is world pac and i think it means Japan.... however stick with ATP or intermotor aka SMP and you will be fine.

so if yours are both black then your fine.. but if one is green then it means its 38psi and part number 28600P6H003

take a look at the picture at rockauto.. its worked best for me.. then i used the numbers at work... intermotor aka SMP and honda genuine were exact the same,,
some i got on amazon were very cheap with glue holding it all together.... i returned the amazon white box and used intermtor aka SMP.. Even says Made in Japan on box and on part.. You might be able to find some white ones them are usually china / white box no name brand... stick with smp or anything on list below.

check it out.

This is the best way I can show you....

[Linked Image]

It is amazing the difference a simple sensor change can make. On some cars it can be a bad speed sensor, that is a common thing on some cars to find faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back