Honda Accord oil overfill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had the first OC on my new 12 accord. The dealer did the work. I have a two year, unlimited mileage OC for free. I checked the dipstick after setting for over 2 hours and it is well above the full mark. I called the service desk and they informed me that it was ok to be over full. I have a problem with that response. it is over by 3/8 " above the full mark. What is the general consensus of the experts here in this forum think about an overfull crankcase in my Accord?? Thanks for your responses. Filled to the top here in Stanwood, WA

Be glad they put a lil extra in ,It will prob use enough during break in before the next oil change

Probably gonna be fine, although I would drain some( or have them do it) because I'm like that. More isn't always better.

Dealer did same with my Accord 3.0L when I let them do a couple early OC's when new. Calls for 4.5 qts., think they just rounded it to 5. You likely have not much more than 1/2qt over if that. It will be ok, don't sweat it.

i saw this on both my hyundais which i serviced at the stealership during my two free oil changes. it supprised me i was thinking they did this often and wasted hundreds of dollars on oil... Maybe they have a reason. When we do rebuilds we always put the exact amount in what belongs

That is probably about 1/2 a quart over spec, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd leave it alone.

However next time you go in for the oil change make sure you specifically ask that they only fill to the full mark on the dip stick nothing more. Be polite and firm you won't have an issue.

Lots do this. I'd probably pull it in a super clean container and save it if you can.

Then use as needed.

Their bulk oiling system probably cant be adjusted for 1/2 qts.Or else its way out of calibration.

The two dealers in my area use a Honda Blend 0W-20 made by Conoco. I think it standard practice to use the blend unless you specify full synthetic and the cost, if you're paying for the change, is almost double.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Just one of a multitude of reasons to DIY. Can you confirm that they used the correct oil (a full syn 0W-20)?

+1 I don't see a problem being over filled by half a qt. but it would bother me. I'm not sure I'd bring it back to them though, the last thing I'd want is an angry tech working on my car. It would however be the last time they worked on it, free oil changes or not. Free isn't always for me.

Or perhaps they did put in the exact amount as specified in the owner's manual, but since it's a dry spec, it now shows overfilled.
I know that in my cars if I put in the exact amount listed in the manual, the oil level is always over the full line.

From all the accounts complaining about dealers overfilling the oil, across all brands, it's pretty silly to think that it's because of someone's negligence, as this kind of consistency could not be possible.

These engines are apparently also overfilled at the factory.
I just checked the dipstick on mine, and after 2.5K, the level is a little over the full mark.
The oil looked exceptionally clean, incidentally,

Interesting, I checked my wife's new Mazda when we got home from the dealer, had about 20 total miles at this point, it was at the 1/2 mark between full and add, this was after several hrs of being off. The car calls for 5.3 quarts, so when I did the first change I went back with 5.3 quarts, this put the level right at the full mark, I was surprised, expecting to see it at the 1/2 mark, appears the factory rounded down and just went with 5 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back