Honda accord brake Pad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It Won'r be long before I need some brake pads on a 2001 honda accord, anyone no of a site that has step by step instructions and a few pics.

My wife has a 2001 Accord, and my daughter a 1999. Bought the 2001 new, and had to replace the factory pads at 30K. I assumed I would be replacing them at that interval for the life of the car. I put factory pads on at 30K and they are still on there at nearly 200K. I don't know why the replacement pads have lasted so much longer than the originals.

I have some Wearever silver pads ready to install when needed.

ledslinger mine is exactly the opposite, bought car new and the original pad lasted till the 105k belt change at that time I replaced the pads only with lifetime warranty pads from autozone and 55,000 later there is a awefull lot of brake dust all of the sudden. I rotated the tires today and the pads are getting close I hope to get another 15,000 out of them but they definately will not last the 100k like the factory did.

I just replaced the front and rear brakes on my TL at 90,000. The fronts were no more than halfway worn, probably less. It should've easily gone another 90,000. The rears looked like new still. Only reason I touched them was to install the 13" aftermarket brakes.

Brake replacement is super easy. It's a matter of removing two bolts, pushing the piston back in, and reversing the procedure.

If you swap out rotors, do yourself a favor and don't even try to get the aluminum assembly line retaining screws out with a screwdriver. Either use a screwdriver that is made to be hit with a hammer or drill them out. Drilling them with a 7/16 drillbit literally took 5 seconds each. I recommend doing it this way.

Do you need to put those screws back? I always thought that it was completely unnecessary. Unfortunately, my mechanic insisted that it needs to be there, so I relented and let him put back the retaining screws. I wonder if he is making sure that I won't be able to do the next brake job on my own? :)

- Vikas

If you don't want to drill out the old retaining screws (I didn't trust myself) you can buy an impact driver at most autoparts stores (got mine at O'Reilly's for $12) and it made removing those old screws super easy. Literally only took me a couple of minutes.

Get a manual.
It is only $15 or so for a basic one.
You will find all sorts of stuff that you can do to maintain your car.
Sure, you could slap a set of pads on it.
But it is best to prepare and do the extra stuff that makes it twice as good.
Clean and lube everything you see. Get new plain rotors with your new pads. Cut them? For a little more, you can have new ones!
Rotors are a chance - cheap can be better then expensive.
But get good pads - you generally get what you pay for.

We have an Accord of that generation.
The pads are silly easy to do, as has been true with most of the cars we have had with disc brakes.
Observe the assembly on your car.
It really is as easy as removing a couple of bolts and pushing the piston back into the caliper.
A large C-clamp is a big help.
Drums are more of a PITA, OTOH.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We have an Accord of that generation.
The pads are silly easy to do, as has been true with most of the cars we have had with disc brakes.
Observe the assembly on your car.
It really is as easy as removing a couple of bolts and pushing the piston back into the caliper.
A large C-clamp is a big help.
Drums are more of a PITA, OTOH.

Just did the rear drums with all new springs and such for my friend's GN. I forgot how much I hate those. I think I invented some new cuss words. Luckily I had the other side to look at when I forgot where things went.

You guys that are putting the screws back in, don't. Use a drill bit of the correct size and the head literlly falls off. If you use a 7/16 it's a 5 second job..... seriously.

Off topic but the aftermarket brakes I have are amazingly easy, even easier than the stock brakes if that's possible. No tools required. Pull two cotter pins and two retaining pins and the pads come out from the top without removing or loosening the caliper. I wish the factory did it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back