Honda Accord, 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've put about 2,000 miles on this 2007 Accord I picked up used a few months ago. At first I was really getting nervous b/c the oil level kept going down. But, I removed and cleaned the PCV, and did an oil change with 5-20 M1 & Napa gold. It's held the level perfect, so I'm feeling a lot better now knowing that. This car has that oil % meter... and I've never had a car with one. Normally I do 5k OCI. So I'm tossing up the idea of either running Dino every 5k, or PP/M1 and follow the meter which says to change it around 20% left. Which comes out to aobut 8,000 mile OCI's. Opinions on either option? I'm down in FL, so extreme cold is not really an factor.

Did the math, it actually comes out cheaper to use a Syn and follow the meter vs using Dino @ 5k. It really gets cheap if I use dino and follow the meter, but I'm not sure I really feel comfortable with dino going 8k in a car I plan on keeping.

Gotta do the MM with a off-the-rack syn. It's cheaper, it's less work for you, and you're still doing way more than the car needs. For me, it comes to about 7500 miles.

Just for reference, I go 8-9k on dino in my Cavalier regularly, and the car runs just fine. Mind you if I bought a newer car, I wouldn't do that. This one is rapidly becoming a beater.

Syn and OLM is an excellent compromise......

Yeah I think it's the middle ground. Saves me time and work, which isn't even calculated in my $/mi. So the Syn & OLM would really come out of ahead if I paid myself 1hr labor. Not to mention I don't have to drive about 15 miles to dump the oil as often either :) Thanks for the input guys. PP/M1 & OLM it is!! Now I still have to settle on a filter... Napa Gold, P1 or Car Quest's primo job.

Last edited:
I have an 09 Accord and use M1 with the Maintenance Minder. Seems like you can go anywhere from 6000-8500 from most reports I've read. If you wait and catch a sale on M1 with M1 filter or take the PP deal with the mail in rebate, you're coming out pretty good if you ask me.

You could also get by with the MM going down below 20%. I wouldn't change it until it was at least 15% or 10%, depending on how long the oil has been run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back