Honda 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Honda 5w20 meets Fords specs? I know Ford wants 5w20 however, I know only some 5w20 meets Fords specs. A friend wants to give me some Honda oil. I will like to use it in my ford if I can.. kb

Yes Honda 5W-20 does also meet the Ford Specs. Honda 5W-20 motor oil is just regular Mobil DriveClean 5W-20. Ford's specs are more difficult to meet than Honda's specs. Most but not all 5W-20 motor oils meet the Honda and Ford specs as well as ILSAC GF-3 and API SL. I believe the market for 5W-20 motor oil is still small so it is just easier to make an oil that meets all of the relevant specs.

Has anyone actually seen a recent 5w20 oil (not Mobil 1 from its introduction
smile.gif
or a hydraulic oil) that doesn't meet the Ford specification? I haven't found one yet. Some don't say it on the bottle, but the data sheets indicate they do.

IMHO, it would be silly to release a 5w20 that didn't meet the one and only spec that seems to rule these oils right now. But then again, we still have people marketing SA, SB, and SF oils to uninformed buyers...
rolleyes.gif

Hang on, getting really confused. I have just recently heard that Mobil 1 5W-30 does NOT meet GF-3 specs. Is that true? Then why are a lot of Honda owners, myself included, going with this oil. Will it harm the engine? I switched out the 5W20 for the Mobil 1 5W30 for better protection, I thought. Clarification anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Has anyone actually seen a recent 5w20 oil (not Mobil 1 from its introduction
smile.gif
or a hydraulic oil) that doesn't meet the Ford specification? I haven't found one yet. Some don't say it on the bottle, but the data sheets indicate they do...

Royal Purple 5w-20, Redline 5w-20, Synergyn 0w-20, Torco 0w-20.

Seeing as how none of those are readily availible to me, that would also explain why I hadn't considered them!

Let me rephrase:

I have not seen a regular old 5w20 sold at the neighborhood auto parts store from a major national brand that doesn't meet the Ford specs. Those mentioned may not, but I suspect there are a lot of other specifications those oils don't meet in a lot of grades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back