Honda 2.0L oil choice

I recently picked up a new Civic with the 2.0L NA direct injected motor.

Right now it's still on the FF/break-in stage with about 2,000 miles on it but being a member of BITOG, I'm already thinking about what oil and duration I want to run regularly in it.

Honda recommends to run the FF out to when the OLM says to change it, which i most likely will do (or maybe something like 30-40%).

Does anyone have any experience with this engine? I would like to stay with 0W-20 as I have not heard of any fuel/oil dilution problems with this engine. My current ideas are to either run 0w20 Castrol Magnatec and run it for 1/2 the OLM and change it essentially twice per "Honda OCI" with Magnatec so probably every 5-6,000 miles i'd change the oil. My other idea is just pick up 0W20 M1 EP and run it an entire MM OCI. I do drive a lot of highway miles (70hwy/30 city), so I'm not that afraid to run 10-12k miles per OCI but in my current vehicle I've only ever done 6500 miles max.

With either of these choices (or any other input appreciated!) I plan on using the Honda Genuine Filter for two MM OCIs (as the owners manual states).

All input appreciated.

Any synthetic should be able to handle the MM OCI with no problem
smile.gif

There is nothing wrong with M1EP or Magnatec. Even Walmart brand synthetic will make it to the same MM-suggested OCI.

FWIW, the OEM Honda filter is basically a Fram PH7317, and while they can handle two OCI's (which could be 20-25k on the filter in the conditions you describe), I'd replace it every OCI because they are so cheap (less than $4) and very easy to replace. If filter access was difficult, and/or the filter was expensive, then it would make more sense to do 2xOCI on a filter.
If you decide to do two OCI's, DO NOT unscrew the filter--leave it on! Once you remove the filter, you have to replace it! The gasket won't seal properly if removed then reinstalled for a second OCI.

If you do go 2 OCI's on an OEM filter, please cut it open for us at the end
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by ecotourist
We'll be interested in your experience with that engine. I test drove an Accord Sport with the 6 speed manual and the 2.0 engine. It was very nice!

That's a different engine. The Accord 2.0 is a turbocharged 4 which is loosely derived from the 2.0 found in the Type R. The OP is talking about the 2.0 NA 4cyl which is exclusively found in lower trims of the Civic.

I've put about 6,000 miles on my 2016 LX 2.0 CVT. I bought is as a Certified Pre-Owned Honda with 34,910 miles. It had started life as a dealer-maintained lease vehicle. I changed out the oil on it after 4,432 miles. I used Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and a Honda OEM filter. I plan to stick to a 5,000 mile OCI because that's what makes me happy. Since it's first oil change it's been maintained at the selling dealer, where I am a service advisor. It's always had Honda 0W-20 Full Synthetic (Conoco Phillips, if I recall correctly) and Honda OEM filters. Service records indicate the first owner followed the Maintenance Minder.

I love my Civic and plan to keep it until it gives up the ghost! Best of luck with yours ...Š

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you do go 2 OCI's on an OEM filter, please cut it open for us at the end
banana2.gif

I haven't been able to find a 2x OCI Honda OEM filter cut open on here, and I would be very interested in doing it, so I plan on it.

I would run Castrol Edge EP instead of Mobil 1 EP. No need to swap brands. Castrol has you covered equally well at both the low end and the high end.

I like your second idea to use the M1 for the suggesed interval. Especially since you drive so many highway miles.
I don't think there is a lot of difference anymore between modern synthetic oil brands but M1 has been on the leading edge for like ever.
Also I think Honda (any vehicle manufacturers) put a lot of research and science behind their oci determinations.

Any good 0W-20 will do fine. My preference is D1G2 but since that Civic doesn't have the 1.5T, not a big deal. Magnatec or Edge are my picks but you can get away with GTX Ultraclean if you want to stick with Castrol.

I would dump the FF and filter now, due to engine break-in shavings. Then fill with your favourite oil and filter, reset the Maintenance Minder (MM), and carry on as usual following the MM.

I like your Magnatec and 1/2 OLM idea too. Does the same thing without resetting the MM prematurely. That'll keep the MM on schedule a bit more accurately. But a couple thousand miles early in the grand scheme of things isn't that big a deal.

Last edited:
We had a 18 CRV with 1.5LT I followed the olm about 7500 miles using Amsoil SS 0W20. Wifey wanted something bigger so she got a 19 Pilot. Running the same oil also following the olm. Filter changes every time.

2.0L DI engine owner here. I've used Supertech, PP, Idemitsu, and Mobil 1 AFE. None of those burned a drop and engine ran great on all 4. You can't go wrong with a Dexos Gen 2 SN+ 0w20 oil.

Back