Homeowners insurance rate hike (FL)

Well, it went up again! We don't have a large home, but the rate increased by over $600 for this year making it over $2,700 annually. When we bought the house 5 years ago it was less than $1000. Every year I want to switch but if I leave our current insurer they aren't accepting new clients and we won't be able to get back with them. Not sure what to do.
The FL market is pretty much a zoo. Demotech is a joke.

Fundamentally, the concept of insurance is risk sharing (pooling). So, look around you - you are battling: social inflation, rising reconstruction costs, a lousy reinsurance market, increasing CAT exposure and rising claim severity.

Should it be a shocker that you are experiencing double digit rate increases YOY?

Well, it went up again! We don't have a large home, but the rate increased by over $600 for this year making it over $2,700 annually. When we bought the house 5 years ago it was less than $1000. Every year I want to switch but if I leave our current insurer they aren't accepting new clients and we won't be able to get back with them. Not sure what to do.
I think the problem is you’re afraid to switch.
Low price always wins, at least once a year and more like a couple times a year you should look for a lower price and switch when you find one.
The longer you stay with a company the more you will pay. They are in business to extract as much money as they can from you, same as any company in the world. They are not your friend.
I understand your fear, truly but as long as you allow that to happen you will never be in control and you will be milked as much as they can.

I will repeat, I do understand your fear but look at it this way, do you want to overcome it or be held hostage?

I’m not in Florida but in South Carolina and now on the coast of North Carolina I still pay the same or less than 16 years ago when we moved south because whenever a rate increase came along I found and switched to a better rate with another company. Must have switched 6 times (maybe more) and I switch not only at the end if a policy, I’ll switch at any point I find a better price no different than going to a different gas station for a better price. I remember switching a couple weeks into the new policy year with my existing company at the time right after my bank already paid that policy. Doesn’t matter, I paid the new policy myself, cancelled the old, notified the mortgage company of the change (important) and old company sent me refund check.

Having been on the NC coast I am a little concerned now. When getting quotes they were higher than the midlands of SC and some companies did not do coastal areas but somehow I got the same rate I was paying back in SC using the builders agency and a well known national company holds my policy. What happens next year st renewal I don’t know yet. I do know I will always go for price though.

It took some work but in almost 16 years now I still pay under 1500 a year.
I know Florida is really tough, I got a small taste of that here in North Carolina and from what I understand a serious situation there but what the heck, give it a try, computer makes it easy to check prices, then decide.
Also some local agents who deal with multiple companies might know who is best.

Last edited:
I said to my wife the day the hurricane hit last year that the insurance rates in Florida where going to go off the chart. It appears I was right. All I can say is I feel bad for people living there, and I'm glad I put my plans to relocate there on hold. The money I thought I would be saving would get eaten up by the rising tax and insurance costs there.

Ours in South Carolina went up 20% - its now about $2500 - which I still think is still reasonable. Were 30 miles from the coast, but considered coastal due to the county. We have special higher deductibles for wind damage and roof damage - a requirement by this carrier.

I think part of it is housing cost appreciation, and part of it is fewer insurers willing to take this type of risk, and a big part is re-insurance cost.

I said to my wife the day the hurricane hit last year that the insurance rates in Florida where going to go off the chart. It appears I was right. All I can say is I feel bad for people living there, and I'm glad I put my plans to relocate there on hold. The money I thought I would be saving would get eaten up by the rising tax and insurance costs there.
Yup 👍
Same here and that is just the beginning of the increasing costs. I don't have an HOA where my lot is and don't want one. The Florida dream is turning into a nightmare.

Yup 👍
Same here and that is just the beginning of the increasing costs. I don't have an HOA where my lot is and don't want one. The Florida dream is turning into a nightmare.
Prior to the storm, we were almost all in, almost. My wife was 100%, I was hedging. My son moved there about a month before the storm and hated it then and hates it more now. His lease is up in September and he's out. At this point I'm thrilled I hedged, my wife is not a happy camper.

The insurance rates there are headed even higher, even car insurance there is now higher than I'm paying here in NY. We're considering SC now. For me the good news is I don't mind waiting. I want my next more to be my last move.

Prior to the storm, we were almost all in, almost. My wife was 100%, I was hedging. My son moved there about a month before the storm and hated it then and hates it more now. His lease is up in September and he's out. At this point I'm thrilled I hedged, my wife is not a happy camper.

The insurance rates there are headed even higher, even car insurance there is now higher than I'm paying here in NY. We're considering SC now. For me the good news is I don't mind waiting. I want my next more to be my last move.
I sold off my property their except one building lot. The taxes on it have tripled in 4 years.
I can't get into the other issues here but the negatives outweigh the positives these days... Agreed.

I had to adjust my hurricane deductible to keep my rate down.
Agents can work with you a little bit if you're willing to pay a lot more out of pocket if a hurricane does damage your house.

I sold off my property their except one building lot. The taxes on it have tripled in 4 years.
I can't get into the other issues here but the negatives outweigh the positives these days... Agreed.
We had an acre there, my wife bought it before we got married. We sold it years ago because we were not going to build there. There was a nice ROI on it. Now everything I am hearing about Florida is not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings. I'd love to hear your other issues in a PM when you have time.

Ya. I saw that a couple of weeks ago. I was in a meeting over it and the rate increases were primarily due to a combination of insurance scams, high construction costs, and approx 20 percent of the increase was weighted against the frequency of storm* events which would result in a claim (i.e. climate change).

*Does not have to be a hurricane.

A major hurricane can do a lot of damage for many miles inland.
Let’s take a Michael as an example. Michael was a major hurricane that did a lot of damage. It was still a category 3 storm when it went over Donaldsonville, GA. It wiped out pecan orchards throughout Southwest Georgia. It was still a category 1 storm when it reached Sumter and Crisp counties in Georgia. It totally wiped out Mexico Beach, Florida. Panama City was hard hit.
If a storm like Michael were to hit near Tampa and track toward Jacksonville, there would be widespread destruction from coast to coast.

Don't come here, were full :)

Seriously however, if your looking at coastal SC the insurance here is rising as well, and there are many fewer companies providing it - reinsurance doesn't want to touch it. If your looking elsewhere in SC then I don't think its the same issue.
No worries, I seriously doubt we'll land there. Regarding SC I would want to be at least an hour west of the coast, I don't want to have the same issue people are having in Florida. Once we zero in I will be checking flood zones and insurance rates the way I was checking them in Florida.

Our insurance is now in the $8K range.

I've mentioned this many times before, but I am now running into "overdraft" prior to every paycheck. Can't keep drawing from my retirement account. It is not just "consumer prices", it's everything, all the time now.

Adjusted for inflation, my insurance should be $2,500.

My house cost $157K to build, in 2002. And it's built to Dade County specs. No hurricane has damaged it so far.
Don't we wish we could lay the smackdown like Costco did to AMEX? They told them we want a 0% interchange rate, and AMEX said we cannot do that, it's not commensurate with our risk. So they got rid of them and Citi said, we'll take 0%! Where's our personal Citi in these scenarios?

Our insurance is now in the $8K range.

I've mentioned this many times before, but I am now running into "overdraft" prior to every paycheck. Can't keep drawing from my retirement account. It is not just "consumer prices", it's everything, all the time now.

Adjusted for inflation, my insurance should be $2,500.

My house cost $157K to build, in 2002. And it's built to Dade County specs. No hurricane has damaged it so far.

Yes, but your house is probably worth close to $750K by now. Your supposed get a HELOC to live off of like everyone else.

No worries, I seriously doubt we'll land there. Regarding SC I would want to be at least an hour west of the coast, I don't want to have the same issue people are having in Florida. Once we zero in I will be checking flood zones and insurance rates the way I was checking them in Florida.
We’re an hour from the beach - 30 miles straight line on a map. Still considered coastal.

Flood is a whole different policy. We don’t have to have it, but I get it anyways. However, it’s gone up a lot lately too so I am debating if I should really keep it. However, with my luck the one year I cancel it will be the year of the great flood.

Don't we wish we could lay the smackdown like Costco did to AMEX? They told them we want a 0% interchange rate, and AMEX said we cannot do that, it's not commensurate with our risk. So they got rid of them and Citi said, we'll take 0%! Where's our personal Citi in these scenarios?
It's called the US Taxpayer. The writing was on the wall decades ago and the then governor of Florida suggested that the US Taxpayer subsidize insurance under the premise that most of them wanted to retire or vacation in Florida.

I posted a link in another thread a week or so ago where a handful of states are suing FEMA over rate increase for the Federal Flood Insurance program. The hypocrisy will be on full display.

Back