Home Inspection Nightmare!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
High efficiency systems have a low differential between output and ambient, not a high differential. Maybe the filter is clogged, or the system is over sized for the ducts. Are you using one of those pleated air filters? That might restrict flow enough to make the air too cold.

Driveway cracks is very funny. I've never seen concrete that doesn't deserve a good palm-reading.

Around here, brick walls do get ventilation holes, to vent any water vapour accumulated during summer, so winter freeze doesn't damage the brick. Wasps move in to the holes and make nests.

Originally Posted By: daddi
I don't mind having any inspector or engineer look at the house, I have nothing to hide. It's just these nit picky EXPENSIVE repairs. Most of the other write ups are your usual repairs...GFI outlet not working...cracked ceramic tile...nail pops in ceiling.. etc. Ac working too well...my ac guy (who is very reputable) about had a heart attack on that one. Never heard that in over 30 years in the biz.

I have 31 years in the heating and air conditioning business, i would like to hear what "too cold" is, cause thats a new one!

Quote:
High efficiency systems have a low differential between output and ambient, not a high differential.

Too big a unit. Cools too little air too quickly. Over shoots set point. You need to size the system to move enough air to dehumidify.

Its possible brett, but its so unlikely a home inspector could find that out, with out a gauge set hooked up to the air conditioners.

I have never seen a air temperature recommendation from any manufacturer. Besides my vo-tech training i have factory training from Rheem, Trane, Bryant, Carrier, Lennox not to mention brush up courses given by our suppliers.

As far as weep holes in the bricks, we dont have that here in Minnesota, they sit on a brick ledge and are capped off at the top and sealed to the building that way with an air gap behind them.

I would challenge those two items, with questions such as, could you provide me the building code statue that says i need weep holes? Where does one find the proper air temperature for my house?

To my knowledge there is no accrediaton to be a home inspector,
take a two week internet course and taaaa daaaaa you can be one, oh yeah buy our software too!

I have run into these folks before and once you ask a bunch of questions.

yeah your furnace is bad it has cracks in the heat exchanger, i go out and the dust is so thick on the panels that you would have to remove to see the heat exchanger, letting me and the current home owner know that no way anyone have looked at the furnace.

I am sorry this happened to you.

The evap temp won't be any different. The discharge air will be higher with the same evaporator at twice the CFM.

with one minor problem, you wont get double the cfm down the duct work because of the static pressure.

but i do agree the discharge air would be slightly lower, surely not low enough that a home inspector could tell the difference.

System is made more efficient by reducing the differential between evaporator and condenser. They use less energy because of lower temp difference and because the warmer evap does less dehumidification. In Canada that's fine, but in the south you need dehumidification.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
Its possible brett, but its so unlikely a home inspector could find that out, with out a gauge set hooked up to the air conditioners.

I have never seen a air temperature recommendation from any manufacturer. Besides my vo-tech training i have factory training from Rheem, Trane, Bryant, Carrier, Lennox not to mention brush up courses given by our suppliers.

As far as weep holes in the bricks, we dont have that here in Minnesota, they sit on a brick ledge and are capped off at the top and sealed to the building that way with an air gap behind them.

I would challenge those two items, with questions such as, could you provide me the building code statue that says i need weep holes? Where does one find the proper air temperature for my house?

To my knowledge there is no accrediaton to be a home inspector,
take a two week internet course and taaaa daaaaa you can be one, oh yeah buy our software too!

I have run into these folks before and once you ask a bunch of questions.

yeah your furnace is bad it has cracks in the heat exchanger, i go out and the dust is so thick on the panels that you would have to remove to see the heat exchanger, letting me and the current home owner know that no way anyone have looked at the furnace.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Duaneb thanks for the info. BTW what do you think of the relo's statement I posted above regarding the AC????

to my understanding its the difference between the outdoor temperature and the indoor temperature, not the temperature differantal in the duct work.

there is a spec on that for the heating side of the system and its typically located inside the furnace or air handler.

a properly sized air conditioner can cool a home 15 to 20 degrees different than the out door temperature depending on insulation, duct work sizing.

this spec helps keep customer expectations in line. this dosent mean it wont cool more than that its just a minimum standard

old air conditioners typically had evap coil temperatures of aprox fourty degrees, new high efficiency air conditioners have evap coil temperatures of fifty degrees, the new design allows manufactures to use smaller compressors, which in turn cost less to operate, combined with larger evaporator coils and condenser coils allow the system to remove more humidity and disapate the heat from the house better, making new air conditioners much more energy efficient.

there are tons of folks carrying around half an idea under the impression that they are helping, and you know what i have done the same thing in the past myself!!

Is relo funded by your wife's employer (gov), or is it an independent company that the gov hires for that purpose?

Anyway, this is all way wrong. Does the phrase "conflict of interest" come to mind? They are not performing a service for you, they are taking you to the cleaners. The people buying your house should not have this kind of power and no one to keep them honest. When my company transfers someone, they also have a business unit that will buy the employee's house if the employee wishes. They come out, do an appraisal, and give you a figure. If you like it, you take it. If you think it's too low, you can go out and get three appraisals from any local real estate agents. The company will pay you the average of the three appraisals. Usually, the company offer is pretty realistic, there's none of this 'repair list' thing going on. The offer is for the house 'as is'. You can always find something wrong with any house if you want to. But you are just taking it right up you know where. I hope they kissed you before they scrood you.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
with one minor problem, you wont get double the cfm down the duct work because of the static pressure.

Now cut the CFM in half of what you should have if properly factored.

Quote:
but i do agree the discharge air would be slightly lower, surely not low enough that a home inspector could tell the difference.

My only point is that there are many ways not to skin a cat.
grin2.gif

I've never dealt with household, but I've had a good bit of discussions with some who have gone to load school.

most of my experiance with problems comes from working on homes, the commerical experiance i have, is mostly from complete system installations very few troubles with those systems

i do enjoy the discussions, makes me think and try to recall from my "like new" memory, of course its like new its never been used!!

Originally Posted By: Cogito
Is relo funded by your wife's employer (gov), or is it an independent company that the gov hires for that purpose?

Anyway, this is all way wrong. Does the phrase "conflict of interest" come to mind? They are not performing a service for you, they are taking you to the cleaners. The people buying your house should not have this kind of power and no one to keep them honest. When my company transfers someone, they also have a business unit that will buy the employee's house if the employee wishes. They come out, do an appraisal, and give you a figure. If you like it, you take it. If you think it's too low, you can go out and get three appraisals from any local real estate agents. The company will pay you the average of the three appraisals. Usually, the company offer is pretty realistic, there's none of this 'repair list' thing going on. The offer is for the house 'as is'. You can always find something wrong with any house if you want to. But you are just taking it right up you know where. I hope they kissed you before they scrood you.

Cogito, Thanks for the reply. Love the last sentence...hadn't heard that one in a few years..gave me a much needed good laugh!! Got an email from the relo company today that they are sending a HVAC company out to evaluate my system as well as a strutural engineer to look at several issues that are high dollar. I can deal with all of the nit picky small sheet, just don't have 40k laying around to refurb a pefectly fine home.

Originally Posted By: smokey1
know your dilemma . GOOD LUCK .
The relo company just sent out a HVAC company and he just finished up his inspection of the complete system. Gave it a clean bill of health and said it was in excellent operating condition. He really looked it over hard too. 1 write up done 48 more to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back