Home Heating Costs

All electric heating forced air furnace, I'm on a $212 equal payment monthly budget for electricity. Current rates are $0.0874 kw/h the coldest month I use about 4000 kw/h of electricity in a month however I run a 5kw construction heater in my detached garage to keep it around the freezing mark. With all the fees and taxes 1000kw/h costs rougly $100mo obviously going down slightly with more usage.
Clearly you don't live in Ontario, lol

In the Metro NY area, 1,400 square foot house, steam heat on natural gas and two Window a/c units used at times during the summer we paid about 3,500 annually last winter for gas and electricity. We kept the temperature at 66F in the mornings and evenings when we were home, and at 62F the rest of the time, only used a/c on days it was really needed.

We buy 2 cords of split hardwood a year at $300 each and I cut up maybe another cord on average. We also use electric baseboard to for the early fall/late spring when you can't keep a fire going 24/7, or if we are away for a weekend. When we were away last fall/early winter we just used baseboards and I was surprised that it didn't cost that much to keep the house at 50f. About $150/ month even with temps getting below freezing at night quite often. We spend far more on fuel for the cars than heating even in the winter.

In CT our electricity ~0.25/kW-hr and NG ~ 1.70/CCF

Heat in house (1300 SF) is NG mod-con boiler and panel radiators, set to 68* constant (expect at night drops to 64). Last year we spent ~$850 on gas in the winter. In the summer, the bill is $40/month (hot water, oven, cook top) and almost half that is the "service charge" (privilege to be connected).

Electricity is usually $120/month and goes up to $200-250 in the summer with mini-splits running (72*) and dehumidifier in basement.

I wish you all had access to natural gas. its so cheap these days. i can heat my large older home for $200 a month or less.

Back