Last wood stove use until fall.

We just finished a cold snap here so looks like this might be my last wood stove use until fall. My 10 year old heat pump only functions above 27 F and then switches to a boiler with a heat exchanger fired with propane for temps below that. If I’m home I’ll make a fire in the airtight stove to reduce the propane burn. Anyone else heating with an airtight stove?

BC838002-BCF5-4E0A-AF74-7DB693EBE660.jpeg

is that a brand name or what, searching shows a LOT of "air tight" wood stoves! uncle has a small soapstone catalytic wood stove + the only house that never had a "stove" smell, although many burning of woods smell good IMO! i too am about to shut down my Harman MK I anthracite hand fired coal stove as temps in Pa are warming, BUT coal is cheep + EZE + can cruise lower than wood without issues. being on the same chimney my coal must be shut off to safely use the oil furnace as i do in moderate weather + having an on demand water heater the oil furnace gets shut off as well in the warmer months, a win win setup IMO!!

I had a wood stove in my first house.....Orley was the brand I think. I truly miss it. We have lived in the house we are in now for 24 years and have never had a fire in the fireplace. Wife cannot stand the use of a fireplace, but she liked the wood stove.

Vermont Castings Vigilant owner here, burn 1-2 cord a winter, maybe more next winter, LOL. Just put a heat pump in a month ago for the spring/ fall when the stove is just too hot.

Nice hearth BTW OP, those bricks should hold a decent amount of heat.

The “ air tight “ description describes a ducted air source that brings cold air from outside to make sure no warm air from the house is used for combustion. The stove is “air tight” to make sure no warm air leaves the house. The stove in the photo is a Regency.

I had a wood stove in my first house.....Orley was the brand I think. I truly miss it. We have lived in the house we are in now for 24 years and have never had a fire in the fireplace. Wife cannot stand the use of a fireplace, but she liked the wood stove.
My folks had an Orley growing up so that's what I installed in our house when we moved in. That was a long time ago and those are definitely not "certified" for new installs now.

I haven't lit ours for probably 10 years. It seems like whenever it gets really cold around here, there is a burn ban due to an air inversion that holds the smoke down on the ground.

Back