Home Depot-Automotive

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago noticed my local HD (old Thruway Plaza, Cheektowaga) had a small automotive section. Exide automotive batteries, Pennzoil Oil and Michelin Wiper Blades.

The battery group 35 was $77 for a 2yr warranty. Wal-Mart charges $104 for a 3 yr warranty group 35. Thought the battery at HD to be a buy, if I needed one.

Both flavors of Pennzoil Synthetic for $7.48 to include Pure that is DEXOS marked. Saw a guy with yellow bottle's in his cart.

HD ad claims , automotive selection varies with store.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Think they are testing the market there?

No. My local HD ad that came out today claims, " automotive selection varies with store".

Last edited:
I have never seen auto parts in a Home Depot. Of course why would they even try in this saturated market? From my home I have Napa 1 mile, Walmart 1.1 miles AZ 2.2 miles, AAP 2.4 miles, AAP 2.5 miles (in the other direction). They would be setting themselves up for failure IMHO

I saw a similar thing at the Lowes in Springville and the one on Southwestern in Hamburg. They also had certain flavors of PYB.

I remember seeing them sell pennzoil years ago. Picked up a bunch of brake fluid and psf when they cleared it out.

Originally Posted By: ronbo

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They keep trying! Watch for clearance when it flops.

+1

When ours flopped I got Mobil for 88 cents a quart, STP fuel cleaner for a dime, and other great deals.

John

My Home Depot has this as well. I don't know about oil, but the automotive battery and wiper blade idea is quite good IMO. A good majority of people that shop at Home Depot are contractors and/or people using a company work vehicle. As a contractor myself, I visit Home Depot very often, and having everything you need for work and basic vehicle maintenance in one place is a good idea.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
A week ago noticed my local HD (old Thruway Plaza, Cheektowaga) had a small automotive section. Exide automotive batteries, Pennzoil Oil and Michelin Wiper Blades.

The battery group 35 was $77 for a 2yr warranty. Wal-Mart charges $104 for a 3 yr warranty group 35. Thought the battery at HD to be a buy, if I needed one.

Both flavors of Pennzoil Synthetic for $7.48 to include Pure that is DEXOS marked. Saw a guy with yellow bottle's in his cart.

HD ad claims , automotive selection varies with store.

Walmart with its MAXX battery is sure to have fresh batteries and its rated on top by Consumer Reports. I avoid Exide batteries.

Hello, Swung by the Hackensack, NJ Home Depot after seeing this post. The "automotive department" was there.
Wiper blades, Exide batteries (which I'd have no double buying), just a couple of oils to choose from, a pathetic single choice in ATF (old DexIII based Dex/Merc) and 2 floor mat choices-a $17 cheapie set and $24 Goodyears.

The market surely is saturated, as said above, but I think it's an attempt to pick off a few sales while mechanically inclined shoppers are in there. The inclusion of a few car items says more about the excess shelf space Home Depot has to play/experiment with than anything else. Kira

Donald wrote
[/quote]

Walmart with its MAXX battery is sure to have fresh batteries and its rated on top by Consumer Reports. I avoid Exide batteries. [/quote]

Ronbo reply

If you have an Interstste Battery Distributor in your area , call and see if they have a "blem". It's a cosmetic defect or return. Warranty for 6 months. Got one two years ago in Hamburg, NY, for $40 plus tax, a group 35. Replaced on there lot or $15 bring back fee/ core charge. Should have wire brushed and oiled terminals before I left my house.

If I get 3 years out of it, I'll be happy.

Also, saw that Tractor Supply Company has a 42 month free replacement for batteries.

Well, they already have a rack of plugs and filters and oil for OPE, and as long as it's a box to go onto a shelf, why not? Just one more thing to stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back