Home AM/FM radio reception questions, etc.?

I guess it's nostalgia, but I like listening to a physical AM/FM radio rather than streaming through my PC.

With either a quality radio of some sort along with a quality antenna, what kind of range of signal reception would you expect?

Is it possible to listen to radio stations from other states?

Do you know of a good source for radios, antennas, etc. and maybe a recommendation of radio?

Thank you,
Ed

Back when I still had a receiver I used one of these and it worked pretty well.

Yes it’s possible to listen to far away stations especially at night.

I guess it's nostalgia, but I like listening to a physical AM/FM radio rather than streaming through my PC.

With either a quality radio of some sort along with a quality antenna, what kind of range of signal reception would you expect?

Do you know of a good source for radios, antennas, etc. and maybe a recommendation of radio?

Thank you,
Ed
See this recent thread:

It is definitely possible to pick up stations from other states on medium and shortwave, especially at night.

I even picked up Radio Habana (Cuba) with that little Radiwow R-108, although signal wasn't that great.

Here's a list of stations in North America that you may be able to pick up:

Last edited:
I still have a receiver in my garage pushing 2 JBL S26 speakers and 2 outdoor speakers on my patio. The receiver is hooked up to my antenna sitting on the roof for the best reception, it's always on when i'm outside. Love having music flowing around if i'm working in the back or front of the house.

Most all my radios are tube radios up to 80 years old. They need a length of wire for an antenna. One problem is all the hash (electronic noise) on AM radio in a modern household nowadays. This can include the TV, LED lights, and the worst is my phone charger.

I have a Tivoli Model 1 with attached rabbit ears; I listen to FM and have pulled in a station clearly from over 100 miles.

Simplicity of design; handsome looking; NOT an alarm clock with a junky radio put in as an afterthought.

It is a radio only; check their line out.

Thank you,
Ed
I'm with you, I am a radio person day and night.. A 50kw AM station can go approx 30-50 miles during the day and could go 1000 miles on a good night. Conditions have much to do with range. FM is limited to line of sight, up to 20-25 miles typical. My favorite source for top notch radios and antennas is C Crane Radio. My preference is the CCRadio. I have been very happy with mine.
www.ccrane.com

Last edited:
Depends on the equipment and the band. FM comes through really clearly, but it requires line of sight to the transmitter. I might get an audible but clearly degraded signal at about 50-70 miles away.

There are some "clear-channel" AM stations that can be heard clearly for up to 1000 miles. They're required to have a minimum transmitter power, and they're protected by not having other stations at the same frequency within that range. Once I was trying to hear a college basketball game from my car radio, but then I played around with it and got the other team's radio station from Seattle.

There was an extremely powerful station broadcasting sports talk from Mexico to the United States. All the content was American, but they had everything sent to Tijuana where the transmitter was. Every few hours they would have a message in Spanish as required by Mexican broadcast regulations. Eventually the FCC wanted to count it against the limit of the broadcaster in a specific region and they ended that arrangement.

I have many old tube and transistor radios. Collected them in the late 90's and have repaired many of them for my own pleasure. It is hard to beat the old zenith tube radios for sound and sensitivity. Much interference is brought to you on AM by your Smart meter. The power is trashed by it. Can't get my electric company to take it off or replace it with a different kind.

I have many old tube and transistor radios. Collected them in the late 90's and have repaired many of them for my own pleasure. It is hard to beat the old zenith tube radios for sound and sensitivity. Much interference is brought to you on AM by your Smart meter. The power is trashed by it. Can't get my electric company to take it off or replace it with a different kind.

Isn't that part of the basic FCC requirements? Something can't create harmful interference, but any consumer electronics are required to accept incidental interference.

This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

Any AM station I listen to turns to noise when I'm driving and pass by any overhead power lines.

Depends on the equipment and the band. FM comes through really clearly, but it requires line of sight to the transmitter. I might get an audible but clearly degraded signal at about 50-70 miles away.

There are some "clear-channel" AM stations that can be heard clearly for up to 1000 miles. They're required to have a minimum transmitter power, and they're protected by not having other stations at the same frequency within that range. Once I was trying to hear a college basketball game from my car radio, but then I played around with it and got the other team's radio station from Seattle.

There was an extremely powerful station broadcasting sports talk from Mexico to the United States. All the content was American, but they had everything sent to Tijuana where the transmitter was. Every few hours they would have a message in Spanish as required by Mexican broadcast regulations. Eventually the FCC wanted to count it against the limit of the broadcaster in a specific region and they ended that arrangement.

XERB or the Mighty 1090, the home of Wolfman Jack back in the 60's.

Isn't that part of the basic FCC requirements? Something can't create harmful interference, but any consumer electronics are required to accept incidental interference.

Any AM station I listen to turns to noise when I'm driving and pass by any overhead power lines.
That's why AM is called amplitude modulation. Spikes in the signal from lightning and electrical lines will cause the static. FM's signal amplitude stays at the same level, only varies in frequency, not amplitude and is not prone to noise.

My radio noise did not exist until the power company installed a smart meter. I can prove it is the problem by taking any transistor radio in my hand a walking toward the meter. the radio gets very loud with noise. I have been to the power comany 3 times. They say someone will be sent out to check it out. I tell them to call first and if they come they they never call. I will have to try again with them. Wrapping the meter with aluminum tape makes no difference. Our second home all is fine, no noise. It is just a defective meter. About read to have a tree limb fall on it.

Back