home air compressor recomendations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an air compressor to pump up tires, clean, possibly run a brad nailer. Power tools such as a ratchet are a possiblity

Looking for a quiet and light as possible. May need to bring in house for a wall paneling project.

What brands/sources are the best? Price is a consideration but quality more so. TIA and many thanks!

Tires and brad nailer will run on any tiny air compressor that has a tank. I like Senco's smallest (1gal?) compressor for about $100 for that kind of duty. If you want to run an air ratchet or other air tools then you have to step up considerably in size or cost.

how much do you want to run air tools?

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Tires and brad nailer will run on any tiny air compressor that has a tank. I like Senco's smallest (1gal?) compressor for about $100 for that kind of duty. If you want to run an air ratchet or other air tools then you have to step up considerably in size or cost.

how much do you want to run air tools?

Thanks, I may want to do some suspension/steering work on my BMW. That and tire changing is the only power tool use I am envisioning for automotive work.

If you are talking about an impact wrench (gun) for lug nuts you need a large compressor, at least 20 gallon. they require a lot of CFM. Tires and brad guns require very little air flow.

unless they are small or made by Thomas Compressor, oiless compressors are very loud. Keep that in mind if you look at larger compressors.

Having been exposed to many air compressors, I have to second one of the previous points.

DO NOT buy a direct-drive, oiless air compressor. They are so loud you will regret it the first time you turn it on. This comes from first hand experience. My 25 gal.,5hp craftsman compressor was unbelievably loud. Others I have heard were equally annoying.

An oiled, belt-driven compressor may require more maintenance, but my assumption would be it will last longer.

However, if you just want something tiny for filling tires, brad nailing, go cheap and oiless. I'm actually considering getting one for just that. For anything else, get belt-driven and oiled.

You can run am impact gun doing lug nuts on a compressor as small as 10 gallons, I've done it. But as mentioned they are oiless and incredibly loud. A ratchet uses way more air then a impact by the way. Large standing tanks are quite and have a small foot print relative to the capacity.

I personally think it is really hard to find a reliable compressor that does not cost a ton of money. Quality in my opinion is much less than the older ones, especially Craftsman. I would just take a look on Craigslist for a 20 year old compressor and get something like that. I am using my Grandpas 30 year Craftsman compressor and I love it. It is so quiet and never has problems. I believe it is like a 10-15 gallon one I think and it is perfect to use an impact with, but dont expect to use anything that needs more air than that.

I have a Makita MAC700 and it will run nail guns and even an air ratchet and impact gun with light use. Fills tires and other things like that with no problem.

Small, very quiet and oil lube. Very happy with the unit.

Thanks evryone I was ready to pull the trigger and my computer died and I had cataract sugery in both eyes. I will look to buy in a month or so and/or I may try used.

Last edited:
I purchased a 6 gallon Craftsman pancake compressor. It's small and light enough to easily carried with one hand, but has enough air volume to run most common tools at a light duty cycle.

Something like that should be good enough to take apart your car, but not to run a shop. You could perform most household tasks other than series home/automotive painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back