Holy cow Batman! Price of ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly this is a full synthetic product, given that and dealer only distribution the price is not completely nuts. Mobil-1 synthetic Dexron is around $5/quart.

John

I don't think Mobil makes an ATF+F fluid. Chrysler charges a fortune for the stuff. I use the Amsoil.

The Chrysler ATF+4 used to run about $12-13 per quart. It dropped to about half shortly after AMSOIL started marketing their ATF+$ some years back. And since then, there are some other choices on the market.

quote:

Originally posted by dakotasport94:
just remember that the others are NOT ATF+4 compatable(excluding Amsoil ATF). exp in the newer cars.

ExxonMobil is an OEM to DaimlerChrysler for the ATF+4. It is a synthetic blend.

If you go to the ExxonMobil website and read about Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend ATF:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil_Mercon_V_Synthetic_Blend_ATF.asp

you'll find:

"Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend ATF is a premium synthetic blend lubricant for automatic transmissions and other applications that require a fluid satisfying Ford's Mercon® V specification or General Motors' Dexron® -III or Dexron II specifications. It is also approved for applications where a Ford Mercon type fluid is recommended. Additionally, Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend ATF is suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler automatic transmission applications."

"Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend is also suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler applications where ATF+3 or ATF+4 is recommended."

quote:

Originally posted by Brons2:
You should see the price on the NissanMatic J.

$12 a quart. Stickers under the hood spec that fluid ONLY.

Well, Chryslers are just as strict. ATF+4 or ATF+3 only, depending on transmission, unless you own a 84-01 Cherokee, where its Dextron. NEVER USE DEXTRON IN A CHRYSLER MADE TRANSMISSION!

So where CAN'T Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend ATF be used? The ExxonMobil statement purports that it's universal fluid.

I've seen ATF +4 in a Murray's around here. It was in a Mopar bottle, so it's the real stuff. I didn't notice the price, though. You might check to see if any of the stores in your area either have it or can get it cheaper than the dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
So where CAN'T Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend ATF be used? The ExxonMobil statement purports that it's universal fluid.

No, they don't recommend it for Ford type F applications or for Aisin-Warner automatics that call for Toyota T-IV, GM 9986195, or 3309. These are in some Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Saturn, Ford, Volvo, Volkswagen, Saab, Porsche and Mitsubishi cars and SUVs.

Hey theres a lot of people here from Michigan!! Roseville here. I actually bought a quart of the Mopar ATF+4 at Murrays in Roseville for about... must've been $6 or $7 a quart (only needed one quart for customers car top off). I cant believe the dealer was charging $9 somewhere!!

There's Murray's around where I live and it's where I first saw Mopar ATF+4 ever offered, outside of the dealer where i know I can get it. When I first saw it, it was $5.99/quart. After about a year or so it went to $6.99/quart. I was
pat.gif
because I have a trans with ATF+4 and I'll be needing it at some point. About 3 weeks ago I went into Murrays and it was marked at $4.99/quart.

Moral of the story is if you have Murrays around where you live and need Mopar ATF+4, they may be be your cheapest source.

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:
ExxonMobil is an OEM to DaimlerChrysler for the ATF+4.

is suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler automatic transmission applications."

"Mobil Mercon V Synthetic Blend is also suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler applications where ATF+3 or ATF+4 is recommended."

True to ExxonMobil making it for Mopar BUT... there is a difference between suitable and meets specifications. A fluid may be suitable but it doesn't mean it's going to meet the specification of the manufacturer. Do you really think Mobil cares what happens if someone uses this fluid in their Chrysler tranny and then has it fail? Nope. Then the CHrysler dealer doesn't help you because you didn't use ATF+3 or ATF+4 so your warranty on your transmission has just been voided. Guess what that leaves you? $2000 bucks lighter in the wallet all because you wanted to save a few bucks with a fluid change.

Stepping off the soap box.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

True to ExxonMobil making it for Mopar BUT... there is a difference between suitable and meets specifications. A fluid may be suitable but it doesn't mean it's going to meet the specification of the manufacturer.

DaimlerChrysler has never released specifications for ATF+4.

quote:

Do you really think Mobil cares what happens if someone uses this fluid in their Chrysler tranny and then has it fail?

After the Mobil 1 aviation oil debacle, yes.

I believe ExxonMobil has access to the original DaimlerChrysler specs for the OEM fluid and has done extensive lab and field testing.

Their conclusion is that their Mercon V ATF is suitable for ATF+4 applications.

Unlike some mini-bottlers, ExxonMobil has the wherewithal to market an ATF+4 if they chose to do it, so the Mercon V ATF recommendation has nothing to do with cheaping out or selling round pegs for square holes.

I wonder if I can use ATF+4 in a Ford/Mazda requiring MerconV? Hmmmm, time for some customer testing!

I can get ATF+4 at my local Dodge dealer at $16 a gallon just because the recognize me from going in all the time (two Dodges -- G. Caravan and Durango). I always ask for my "frequent buyer" discount. Also, buying it by the gallon helps. Any time I'm in there buying a part I pick up another gallon or two whether I need it or not.

ATF+4 is supposed to use Group III base stocks and is highly friction modified.

Mercon-V uses Group III base stocks and has (I believe) more friction modifiers than Mercon or Dex II/III.

Worst case scenario using Mercon-V in a Daimler tranny calling for ATF+4 is that your shifts won't be as soft (less slippage). I see no real problem with that unless you hear significant transmission noise (chattering and the like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back