Hole In Maple Tree

I will do my best to explain this, and I dont have pictures, LOL. My Dad put a shed in the backyard 20 years ago behind this Maple tree. He did this because on the other side of the yard was a leaning big Oak that is still leaning. There is a big hole at the bottom of this Maple tree that is leaning towards the shed, I have warned my Dad about this, but he says its the neighbors tree and if it falls it falls. Some of you are wondering why am I even posting this, well my question is how long can a tree with a hole down low stay standing?

Now, I noticed this hole about 12 years ago and each year it gets bigger inside, meaning you can shine a light inside and look up and it is hollow so far up. I should also mention we have a Poplar Tree that is in the same condition but it is not going to hit anything. I told my Dad since the guy behind us is not living in the house that we should cut the Maple down, of course he is the type, if it is not broke, dont fix it.

Because of this scenario I do have an extra saw on hand that has the tru fuel 2 stroke mix.

Well if a maple tree is anything like a oak tree . I know the maple is softwood and the oak is hardwood but a oak can look perfectly fine and the inside can be all rotted out . If the hole is noticeably larger every year, I'd cut it down .

doesn't sound like a good tree. take it down before it takes something else down

Well if a maple tree is anything like a oak tree . I know the maple is softwood and the oak is hardwood but a oak can look perfectly fine and the inside can be all rotted out . If the hole is noticeably larger every year, I'd cut it down .
Could be Rock Maple-Sugar Maple and that isn't soft wood at all.

Maples are all considered to be Hardwoods, but are further divided into Hard (Typically Sugar and Black) and Soft Maples (Like Silver, Red, and Boxelder). Hard maples are about 20% denser than soft maples.

If I cared about the shed, I would plan to take it down on my terms, but that's me. And if it is the neighbors tree (ie the base/roots are on their property), I wouldn't touch it unless I had permission.

I was going to ask if it had an ants nest in it, but if it’s that far gone and getting worse over 12 years, there’s really no fixing it IMO. Cut it down.

It's the neighbor's tree, you can't cut it down without permission. But you should notify the neighbor in writing that the tree is about to fall down. It's one thing if it falls down in a storm, but another if it's due to negligence in not cutting it down when they knew it was bad. That way you have a paper trail and you sue them for damages it may cause.

It's the neighbor's tree, you can't cut it down without permission. But you should notify the neighbor in writing that the tree is about to fall down. It's one thing if it falls down in a storm, but another if it's due to negligence in not cutting it down when they knew it was bad. That way you have a paper trail and you sue them for damages it may cause.

Very true in everything you have said, now in the fall the leaves turn red, so from another post, a Red Maple! So, if a tree is dying on your property and it hits an object on another property, shed, then the person with the tree who has been notified in writing that the tree is bad is liable for damages to a shed or structure?

Very true in everything you have said, now in the fall the leaves turn red, so from another post, a Red Maple! So, if a tree is dying on your property and it hits an object on another property, shed, then the person with the tree who has been notified in writing that the tree is bad is liable for damages to a shed or structure?
We had those as street trees, the one in front of my house started dying back & the roots looked shaky. Finally got the city to condemn it, when they cut it down the whole base was rotten-i really don't know why it didn't fall in a storm!

We had those as street trees, the one in front of my house started dying back & the roots looked shaky. Finally got the city to condemn it, when they cut it down the whole base was rotten-i really don't know why it didn't fall in a storm!

What is even crazier is that this tree except for the hole at the base is a thriving tree, no sign of dead branches!

The tree strength is in outer ring . So a hole growing is okay in center can be okay if outside is okay.

Best to ask tree expert.

Could be Rock Maple-Sugar Maple and that isn't soft wood at all.
Both types of Maples rot very quickly, however hard and strong the wood itself might be, because of the high sugar content.

Maple is great for indoor use, like furniture, or basketball courts, but it rots so quickly outdoors, that it is not a good choice for any outdoor use.

I’ve no doubt that this tree is a hazard because of Maple’s susceptibility to rot.

Not to disagree, but-
How would you document a paper trail ?
The tree owner would just say he never received it.

I would first speak with the tree owner and explain if his dying tree falls on your shed, it will cause damage.
Some neighbors are decent people, some are not.
He may be willing to let the OP cut it down. But get that in writing.

Not to disagree, but-
How would you document a paper trail ?
The tree owner would just say he never received it.

I would first speak with the tree owner and explain if his dying tree falls on your shed, it will cause damage.
Some neighbors are decent people, some are not.
He may be willing to let the OP cut it down. But get that in writing.
The easiest would be if you have a phone number, texts and emails are considered legally binding in my state. Otherwise lots of ways, certified mail, have a local constable serve a legal notice, just depends how far you want to take it.

Back