Hole In Maple Tree

How hard is it to get ahold of the neighbor?

If they aren’t living there, I doubt they’ll miss the tree. Probably won’t even know it’s gone. If you can cut it down issue free, I’d do it.

The alternative is to do nothing and it lands on your shed then you have to go after their insurance. That is more hassle for everybody.

I did something similar a few years ago for our farmer neighbor who has a reputation for not being so friendly. (I’ve never met him so I can’t say.) We have a cluster of trees on the property line. One was dead and dropping limbs in my yard and his field. I took it upon myself to buzz the tree.

Last edited:
I will do my best to explain this, and I dont have pictures, LOL. My Dad put a shed in the backyard 20 years ago behind this Maple tree. He did this because on the other side of the yard was a leaning big Oak that is still leaning. There is a big hole at the bottom of this Maple tree that is leaning towards the shed, I have warned my Dad about this, but he says its the neighbors tree and if it falls it falls. Some of you are wondering why am I even posting this, well my question is how long can a tree with a hole down low stay standing?

Now, I noticed this hole about 12 years ago and each year it gets bigger inside, meaning you can shine a light inside and look up and it is hollow so far up. I should also mention we have a Poplar Tree that is in the same condition but it is not going to hit anything. I told my Dad since the guy behind us is not living in the house that we should cut the Maple down, of course he is the type, if it is not broke, dont fix it.

Because of this scenario I do have an extra saw on hand that has the tru fuel 2 stroke mix.
It will last 2 years seven months or the next wind storm, whichever comes first.

How far above the opening do you think the concrete goes? keeps the raccoons out.
My neighbor down the street had a huge limb fall off his tree 20+ years ago, I'm guessing it was maybe a couple feet in diameter and broke off right at the trunk about seven feet above the ground. They filled the trunk with concrete and it's still standing today.

Back