HM Syn or HM Conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently running Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 on a 10,000m OCI in my 200,000+ miles '94 Explorer, and the oil has found many small leaks (not enough to ever have to add any makeup oil). I want to change to a HM oil next time. Any reason to think M1 5w30 HM @ 10,000m OCI would work any less at stopping my leaks than say, Maxlife 5w30 @ 5000m OCI? I want to choose the one with the best seal-swelling additives, whether it's conventional or syn doesn't matter.

First I'd stick with the 0W-30 you're running and try one of those seal conditioners you add to your oil.
The problem with the HM oils is that while they contain seal conditioners they are also much thicker than what you are running now. If they did solve the problem you won't know what did it.

To the best of my knowledge, most seal conditioners such as Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver tend to thicken the oil. With Motor Oil Saver, it increases it by 50% - e.g. if an oil has a viscosity of 14 mm²/s (SAE 40) at 100°C, you will increase that by 7 mm²/s to 21 mm²/s (which I reckon is an SAE 50 grade)

If thicker oil is a concern, maybe substitute a quart of oil for an ester based synthetic, such as Motul.

If you really want to stop or slow your leaks, increase to a higher viscosity like M1 HM 10w-30 or 10w-40. You are in GA so there's no reason to run a 5w or 0w oil... With the 10w weight, the oil will be thicker as it sets up overnight which will have a better impact on stopping leaks.

Falcon LS, there are very light seal conditioners available.

JasonBraswell, I disagree. Using a thicker than necessary oil and thereby sacrificing fuel economy and power is not a good trade off in my book.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

JasonBraswell, I disagree. Using a thicker than necessary oil and thereby sacrificing fuel economy and power is not a good trade off in my book.

If you read the story on the BITOG front, he recommends going to a 40weight when the engine is higher mileage. Tolerances change...

Fuel economy? eh. I don't think it's enough factor to even quibble over.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Falcon LS, there are very light seal conditioners available.

Good thing I used the word 'most'!
grin.gif
Can you list some examples please?

HM oil with a spec 5w-30 isn't 'much thicker', measurably? Sure, but define your 'much thicker' reference. IMO, it doesn't matter since it won't hurt running it in your car. It makes it sound like your putting in a 40w.

IMO, it's more cost effective to just buy a HM oil than try to replace a quart, or even add a few ounces of an additive unless it is really preferable for your application.

If you are only using an approximate half-quart in 10K OCIs, inside an engine with 200K on the odometer, I wouldn't change a thing.

But if you should decide to add a stop leak product, I recommend CD-2 Gray Bottle. But when arriving at the auto supplies store, do not confuse the CD-2 gray bottle with the CD-2 yellow bottle Oil Treatment.

This stuff really works good. It's pretty thick, but not quite as thick as similar products like STP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back