HM Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a '95 Cherokee 4.0L with 193,000 miles in good shape (no leaks). It was time for an oil change and not knowing the previous owners oil fill routine I mixed up a "Frankenbrew" for the next oil fill : 4 qrts. of Rotella Triple T conventional 15W40 , 1 qrt. of Peak synthetic dexos 1 approved 5W30 and 1 qrt. of Marvel Mystery Oil (for additional cleaning) . Safe to say this blend was a high detergent oil fill which perhaps did too good of a job of cleaning as now after one week of driving on the new oil - I have front and rear seal leaks (where as before I had zero) . Note to self : "Should have left well enough alone and simply re-filled with Pennzoil 10W30 yellow bottle conventional oil" ... So my question now is if I switch out this oil fill early - should I refill with Pennzoil 10W30 yellow bottle OR refill with Pennzoil 10W30 High Mileage oil ? My goal is to nip this new leaking in the bud and over time reverse my mistake ... Thanks in advance for your replies .

Just switch to a HM 10W-30. If it didn't have leaks before, it will be fine. Valvoline ML red bottle has worked for me....and my friends....and it's occasionally on sale at coupons.com.

Switch to a HM oil and see how it goes. I've had good luck with both Maxlife and Pennzoil HM completely stopping leaks in 4 different applications.

How much does it leak per mile? Depending on how much, Id keep it topped off and drive it for 3000 miles. Oil leaks keep my BITOG addiction fed over the OCI.

Pennzoil HM would work. Defy is another consideration although my Jeep consumed about .5 quarts over a 3000 miles span. Not a huge deal, but I didn't have any noticeable consumption with PYB.

I remember you said you were partial to SOPUS products for the 4.0, but I personally had excellent luck with M1 HM 10w30, which stopped my leak in less than a month. Its a very stout oil too.

The Jeep 4-liter is an amazing engine, but they do tend to leak at both ends of the crank. Rear main seeps are very very common, and in fact my daughter's 99 4.0 is the ONLY vehicle I've ever had that leaks differently with different oils. With Mobil 1 TDT 5w40, it would leave a palm-sized oil spot under the rear main overnight. With Rotella T6 5w40, just a couple of drops. This is VERY consistent. In either case, it will still use less than a quart over a 6000 mile OCI because the rest of the engine (rings, valve guides, etc.) is so tight. I've never tried it on a "high mileage" oil, but given what I observed it might actually work for you.

I would say over night I end up with a small pancake / palm size oil seep in the pavement from the front seal and a silver dollar size oil seep over night from the rear seal ... It appears that the previous oil fill was with M5K but not sure if the M5K was regular conventional or the M5K HM version ... At any rate , I'm willing to try the Pennzoil 10W30 HM for at least a couple of 3K ~ 4K mile OCI's and see how it performs.

Lots of people here have had good luck with Liqui-Moly Oil Saver, which comes in a 300ml bottle you add to the oil of your choice. If HM oils don't work, you may want to give it a try.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I would say over night I end up with a small pancake / palm size oil seep in the pavement from the front seal and a silver dollar size oil seep over night from the rear seal ... It appears that the previous oil fill was with M5K but not sure if the M5K was regular conventional or the M5K HM version ... At any rate , I'm willing to try the Pennzoil 10W30 HM for at least a couple of 3K ~ 4K mile OCI's and see how it performs.

That being said, I would dump it and add HM right away.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Lots of people here have had good luck with Liqui-Moly Oil Saver, which comes in a 300ml bottle you add to the oil of your choice. If HM oils don't work, you may want to give it a try.

I've wondered about that stuff as well. I have a very small seepage on the passenger side exhaust valve cover. To reach it,the plenum,coil packs,and most everything else has to be removed from the top of the engine. I've been told it's no job for an amateur and that on a skill level from 1-10,it's about a 100+. Mine will "sweat" oil onto the tranny's bell housing,but not enough to drip onto the ground.

Pennzoil HM and Defy will both work/run very well in that engine in my experience. The Pennzoil will likely run a bit quieter, the Defy may crank over a smidge easier with the cold coming though.

JMO.

My 4.0 doesn't drip a drop at 122k, not even a seep! Definitely the exception to the norm.

I am going to change out to Pennzoil 10W30 HM and see how it does for 500 ~ 600 miles...If no improvement I will buy a bottle of Liqui - Moly Motor oil saver from Amazon (wish it was available locally) to try .

* Not to get off topic - but KCJEEP - what is that NAPA #31515 you are running with the 4.0L ? ... 4.0L Stock I believe is a #31085.

Just chiming in but when I had my 2000 Cherokee 4.0L (I miss that truck was a nice Limited too!) I used Mobil 1 exclusively until I got the dreaded rear main seal leak. I replaced that and then the front leaked a few thousand miles later. I switched to Valvoline maxlife (synthetic version) and the leak stopped in under 1000 miles and from there I just kept using it. I also use it in a beater Saturn SC2 and it stopped the smoking and oil burning significantly.

I am going to change out to Pennzoil 10W30 HM and see how it does for 500 ~ 600 miles...If no improvement I will buy a bottle of Liqui - Moly Motor oil saver from Amazon (wish it was available locally) to try .

* Not to get off topic - but KCJEEP - what is that NAPA #31515 you are running with the 4.0L ? ... 4.0L Stock I believe is a #31085.

ChrisD46, your local NAPA will order the Liqui-Moly for you, if it's not in stock, at no extra cost. When my dad needed his that's what he did. They can have it next day.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Motor-Oil-Additive/_/R-AORLM2020_0071299315

Sweet !!
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
It's the oversize FL1A equivalent. Same as the #31085 but 2 inches longer with a bunch more media.

That's great news !! ...I have a NAPA 1 mile from my house
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

ChrisD46, your local NAPA will order the Liqui-Moly for you, if it's not in stock, at no extra cost. When my dad needed his that's what he did. They can have it next day.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Motor-Oil-Additive/_/R-AORLM2020_0071299315

As it turns out , NAPA has the Lubro - Moly Motor Oil Saver on sale for $7.20ea. per 300ml bottle IN STOCK... Amazon wanted $13.66ea. for the same bottle and includes "free" shipping. Thanks again BLUEOVALFITTER !!

Do you Pennzoil HM users find it to be just as quiet as regular old PYB?

I haven't seen a VOA of it, but is it safe to assume its PYB with an extra HM add pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back