HM Dexron III fluid

I'm going to be putting in a reman. rack and pinion because the current one is shot. It calls for DEX III/Merc fluid. Is it ok to use a High Mileage version to help condition seals & safeguard against future leaks?

Thanks

If it's a Ford, Ford has specified the use of Mercon V where Mercon was previously recommended for power steering.

If it's not a Ford, you could still use Mercon V in place of Mercon or Dexron III.

If it's a Ford, Ford has specified the use of Mercon V where Mercon was previously recommended for power steering.

If it's not a Ford, you could still use Mercon V in place of Mercon or Dexron III.
Not a Ford.
Mercon V in the Power steering lines?

You won’t find any licensed Dex III fluids. Dex VI is back-spec’d for III.
There is cases where Dexron VI has hurt powersteering pumps, especially on some Toyota's that call for Dexron III.

If a vehicle calls for Dexron III for powersteering I personally would run Valvoline Dex/Merc.

Just get standard DEX/Merc and add a bottle of Lubegard power steering protectant.

Oooooo...Lubegard huh? I didn't know they made anything for power steering. That combo could be the winning ticket...nice one!

Just get standard DEX/Merc and add a bottle of Lubegard power steering protectant.
Oooooo...Lubegard huh? I didn't know they made anything for power steering. That combo could be the winning ticket...nice one!
Lubegard manufactures/markets their own synthetic power steering fluid that already contains their protectant (which is also a seal conditioner).

I'm going to be putting in a reman. rack and pinion because the current one is shot. It calls for DEX III/Merc fluid. Is it ok to use a High Mileage version to help condition seals & safeguard against future leaks?

Thanks
DEX/Merc is still easy to find and HM fluid will work fine with your power steering.

If you really want the equivalent of Dex III, buy Dex/Merc. Castrol is one brand. Also, Motomaster up here.

DD5924FC-5DE2-45E4-846D-810C1566D9C4.jpeg

Last edited:
If you’re going to do that, why wouldn’t you just buy the fully-formulated Lubegard PSF and fill your whole system with it??

100% high performance synthetic power steering fluid doesn't make much economical sense on a 22 year old car. After I finish rebuilding the pump with all new seals, and put the remanufactured rack in, generic DexIII/Merc equivalent fluid with the Lubegard additive ought last a good while.

I’m not sure what you did there on the second “quote”. Pretty sure somehow you typed your response and quoted it to me.

My point was by the time you buy whatever fluid AND the Lubegard additive (heck, a gallon of Valvoline MaxLife ATF and Lubegard red is nearly $40 these days), you could likely have the fully formulated Lubegard PSF in the correct quantity.

@SubieRubyRoo ....

Yeah, not really sure what happened. Seems to be a website error on that quote.

I understand your point, but I shop very aggressively. Here's what I paid:

Fram® single quart Multi Dex/Merc fluid x 2:
$12.10 (incl. tax & shipped from Wal-Mart.com)

Lube Gard® 4 fl.oz Universal PS protestant x 1:
$8.11 (incl. tax & shipped from Amazon.com)

Grand total : $20.11

By comparison:

Lube Gard COMPLETE® full synthetic 1quart on Amazon.com : $17.99

I'd need two so the price becomes $35.98 plus tax ($2.96) = $38.94.

A savings of over $18 these days is not trivial when just buying fluids.

Granted it's not the same thing but I'll wager there's not much real world long term difference in fluid wear in a 22 year old car, especially when the supporting parts will be all be rebuilt/remanufactured.

Back