Mobil ATF 220/Dexron IID equivalent

Howdy folks, long time lurker, first time poster, finally made an account for a question I'm having a really hard time finding an answer to.

Trying to make a long story short, a friend and I are "reviving" a pair of BYD e6 EVs that he acquired recently. I'm sorting through all of the deferred maintenance at the moment to tackle it all at once. The electric motor calls for Mobil ATF 220 (I've found Dexron IID is the equivalent) to be used in it. Neither of these seem to be available in the US, it's pretty expensive where it IS available, and it seems overseas sellers won't ship to the US anyway. I've seen ONE post here that mentioned using Dex III in place of II-D, but I feel like this is a slightly different application. I don't necessarily believe that the motor's fluid NEEDS to be changed (BYD's literature is very vague about it, only mentions the fluid type and how to change it/how much to use, and I'd like to do it anyway just because), but I may need to remove the side cover to replace a sensor, which will involve draining the fluid. So I'm hoping for some clarification on what may be a readily available equivalent or suitable alternative. Thanks in advance!

I would just look forward on the Dexron timeline
1690762999063.jpg

Either 2003 vintage DEXRON III(H), or the current Dexron VI
TES-295, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Mobil 1 ATF

I can't imagine what's so special about a 1978 spec GM fluid, that they've forcing you to seek it out

Either 2003 vintage DEXRON III(H), or the current Dexron VI
TES-295, Valvoline Maxlife ATF, Mobil 1 ATF

I can't imagine what's so special about a 1978 spec GM fluid, that they've forcing you to seek it out
That was my thought process as well. From what a friend told me, it was supposed to be a new standard for electronically controlled transmissions, in which the fluid was intended to be safe for wiring, electronic solenoids, etc. Since this is inside an electric motor, I'd have to imagine DexIII should be acceptable.

That was my thought process as well. From what a friend told me, it was supposed to be a new standard for electronically controlled transmissions, in which the fluid was intended to be safe for wiring, electronic solenoids, etc. Since this is inside an electric motor, I'd have to imagine DexIII should be acceptable.
If the wiring is exposed to transmission fluid, I'd try an Allison TES-468 approved fluid then.

Back