Hitch Mount Bicycle Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys! This is my first time, so please be gentle. I haven't seen anything on this topic in the search feature. I want to put a hitch on my '92 Mazda MPV to carry a tandem bicycle. The bike racks come in sizes to fit 2" or 1 1/4" hitches. Has anyone had any experience with these and what size hitch would you recommend? I'm leaning toward the 2" as the tandem is a little on the heavy side and I think it might be a little sturdier than the 1 1/4". Thanks.

welcome.gif
Good logic, I would also go with the heavier hitch since a tandam is unique. It may hang out some on both sides and the two inch will provide more stability. Another tip is to get a bungy cord and keep the wheels from rotating in the wind, this will keep the bearings from wearing out whilst you are driving. I also have a locking pin so that I don't come back and find my bike rack gone.
cheers.gif

I think the limiting factor is what size receiver is available for your MPV. You may not be able to get a 2" receiver hitch for this car.

Lyle is right. Only the 1.25" hitch was available with my vehicles and I'm guessing the towing capacity in your MPV wouldn't warrant 2". If it's available, great, it will be more stable like oldman said.

I have a Thule 1.25" hitch that holds 4 bikes, so I'm sure your tandem would not be as heavy as this.

I don't see how it could possibly matter what size hitch you use. The 2" is good for 500 pounds on the tongue which is way more than a fleet of bicycles. A smaller hitch is usually good for 200 pounds. My concern would be with the length of your bike, it must be greater than the width of your car right? Depending on how you drive you could get it hooked on something.

The problem with hitches is that they are loose. The bike rack will rock back and forth and there is little you can do about it. It is a good point to have locks on the pin and the bike itself. I caught a kid riding my bike one day when I was out looking for it. I had thought it fell off my car but while giving the kid the 3rd degree he tangled his lies.
frown.gif

Steve

I had good experience with a roadmaster wlamart $99 hitch. 1 1/4 and 2" adapter came with it. It bolts in so no moving around.
It can be a pain to get into the trunk even though you can relase a latch to lower it,but I tied everything down to the hitch itself Just in case.Worse case scenario i would be dragging a bike, not picking up the piece on a freeway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back