Hit and Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I need a dashcam. Tonite, I was headed home, and made a lane change that apparently offended a fast-moving motorcyclist. He swung around me on the left, and as he turned to give me the California salute, he swerved into the Ford Fusion in front of me. Creased both doors and sent the driver's side mirror into orbit. I thought he might go down, but he recovered and took off. The fellow that he hit pulled off onto the shoulder, and I stopped to talk to him. He appeared to be somewhat callow and timid, and blurted out, "Was that my fault?!"

I said, "No, that was a hit-and-run."

He had no idea what to do, so I told him to immediately call the Highway Patrol, and explain to them what had happened. I gave him my phone number, since the insurance claims adjuster will probably ask if there were any witnesses. I also told him to take pictures of everything. I waited while he called the police, and he said that they were actually going to send a unit out. That surprised me. Then I hit the road.

It would have been nice to have video.

Yep I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Be good if we could get some product recommendations.

Originally Posted By: aa1986

Genius fhd590.

i agree i have seen them for as low as $50.00 online but never got around to getting one..The good thing im pretty sure he has damage also

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Originally Posted By: aa1986

Genius fhd590.

How much recording time does it have?

I use my iPhone plugged into a car charger as a dash cam on a suction mount, there's free dash cam apps, I have the microphone turned off on my app so it doesn't record the audio of any profanity that may come out of my mouth when showing the video to whoever I need to show it to
blush.gif

Generally, a Dash Cam will record on a SD Card and just
rewrite over itself when it gets full.

I've had one for about a year and like it alot.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Man, I need a dashcam. Tonite, I was headed home, and made a lane change that apparently offended a fast-moving motorcyclist.

Without turn signal ?

One time while working I was backed into a loading dock and came back to my truck and found my drivers side mirror shattered. Luckily there were several security cameras there. I talked to security and they said they would look at the tapes, and in the meantime they called the police to come out and make a report. Turned out that a garbage truck had backed in and hit my mirror, which made it fold in and slam against the door and shattered it. Then the driver got out of the truck, pulled my mirror back out to its normal position, then got back in his truck and left. Needless to say his company paid for a new mirror. This idiot put his job on the line for a stupid $20 mirror.

Subaru has their Eye Sight system which consists of two cameras, one on either side of the rear view mirror. Because it's two cameras it can calculate distance and warn you (or apply the breaks) before you rear end someone. Since they're the only company I know of that went with optical cameras to perform this, I wish they would make it possible for you to record the video from one of the cameras on an SD card, that way you don't have to mount an ugly dash cam, or run a wire to it.

Got the Street Guardian SGZC12SG based on dashcamtalk.com's recommendation, and someone taking my bumper off then claiming it was my fault. Good day and night resolution. I could link to an aggressive driver "event" tonight, if there's interest. (But, I don't think it would have caught the motorcyclist's plate if after dark.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

I'm not sure if you were asking me or not, but on my iPhone dash cam app on the 720p option and microphone off a 1 minute video is 55 megabytes so 10 minutes is 550 megabytes. It depends on how much free space is on your phone, you can town down the quality a bit more and it still looks decent and it'll use even less space.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork

I'm not sure if you were asking me or not, but on my iPhone dash cam app on the 720p option and microphone off a 1 minute video is 55 megabytes so 10 minutes is 550 megabytes. It depends on how much free space is on your phone, you can town down the quality a bit more and it still looks decent and it'll use even less space.
On the "SD" option which still looks great it is 41 megabytes for 1 minute.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Man, I need a dashcam. Tonite, I was headed home, and made a lane change that apparently offended a fast-moving motorcyclist.

Without turn signal ?

Negatory. It would be a very rare occurrence for me to change lanes without signaling. The area where this happened is kind of a treacherous interchange, with three freeways and on- and off-ramps from surface streets. I think the motorcyclist was coming down an on-ramp out of my field of vision as I was changing lanes. He was miffed that I was in his way, but there was no danger of collision. He didn't have to hit the brakes particularly hard. Nonetheless, if I had seen him coming at a good clip, I would have let him pass.

I have been considering getting a dash cam. I may have to do some research and pick one up

I have a RoadHawk HD recording to a 64GB SD card. It's great, very good video, clear mic, and it records GPS data and auto saves "events" when a built in g-force sensor is triggered.

If your thinking about a dashcam, remember it can be used as evidence against you, just as well as it can be used to protect you. Think about your driving style before you instal one.

Originally Posted By: whip
If your thinking about a dashcam, remember it can be used as evidence against you, just as well as it can be used to protect you. Think about your driving style before you instal one.

I have no doubt about that. One could just pocket the SD card and flip the cam into the backseat if one thought they were at fault. But wild guess says you'd still have to reveal that to your lawyer (if it went that far), as lawyers don't like surprises.

But IMO it can work both ways. Only a few of us here don't alter our actions when we see police presence. Even a few who do everything correct still slow down when they see an officer watching traffic. A friendly reminder on the dash that one is watching oneself might do wonders. For some of us.

In college my roommate took a long trip and got a speeding ticket. He was a good driver so he circled back and found the limit sign--covered over by trees etc. Not sure if one could argue that in court, that the sign was covered over and thus it could not possibly be read.

Now that I type that: any value to taping a second SD card to the dashcam for this purpose? Get a ticket that you think is bogus, so take the card out after recording the traffic stop, so as to retain all info? I know the big cards might have hours of video, more of the premise.

Actually, if you did witness an altercation not involving yourself, how does that go? Do you just surrender the card to the officer as evidence?

Originally Posted By: supton

Actually, if you did witness an altercation not involving yourself, how does that go? Do you just surrender the card to the officer as evidence?

I don't think i would hand it to an officer, i'd hand it over in court. I might make a copy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back