Hit a pheasant last weekend

Wife and I were driving to her parents house for Easter and we nailed a pheasant that flew out from the ditch. Going to have to claim this on insurance since I didn't think this would cost so much. Estimate is $2200 with the headlight alone costing $1150 (holy smokes). Didn't break the headlight but broke all of the mounting brackets and the bumper got some paint damage and was tweaked a bit.

4-17-2022 bird strike_cr.jpg
2018Chevy001.jpg2018Chevy002.jpg2018Chevy003.jpg2018Chevy006.jpg20220422_131030.jpg

Jesus, how fast were you going? I guess the average weight of a male adult pheasant is 2-3 pounds. I would never have guessed that it could do that much damage. Well, I guess a hit in the exact right spot could do it, and I think the spot was where it hit your SUV. I would have at least turned around and taken some feathers from it. A souvenir of the incident, when you hit a game bird that at least around me are scarce.

I hit a large water bird (maybe a Bittern) with my '63 Chevy II. There was a great thump.

The aluminum grill was considerably bent. So I took it off and straightened it. Problem solved; no insurance claim.

Oh for the good old days.

I hit a large water bird (maybe a Bittern) with my '63 Chevy II. There was a great thump.

The aluminum grill was considerably bent. So I took it off and straightened it. Problem solved; no insurance claim.

Oh for the good old days.
My son Richard hit a really small owl, endangered i believe, took me 1 hour to dig it out of the grill,

Never Pleasant hitting a Pheasant.
about 20 years ago state of ohio released a few hundred down where my Cabin is.
You NEVER see them.. but they are still there.
Turkeys you can hear and see.

Last year I hit a Box turtle mowing... that was pretty ouch. Never saw it in the 18" high field until it ejected 50ft sideways.
Also ran over a 6-7' black snake with the tire. I wasnt mowing at the time. Seemed ok

Jesus, how fast were you going? I guess the average weight of a male adult pheasant is 2-3 pounds. I would never have guessed that it could do that much damage. Well, I guess a hit in the exact right spot could do it, and I think the spot was where it hit your SUV. I would have at least turned around and taken some feathers from it. A souvenir of the incident, when you hit a game bird that at least around me are scarce.My wife was driving about 60mph on Hwy 87 about 5-6 miles south for Grantsburg WI
My wife was driving around 60mph. We were headed north on Hwy 87 about 5-6 miles south of Grantsburg WI (a whole lotta nothing around there). I was kinda dozing off in the passenger seat and didn't see the darn thing until it slammed into the car.

We were going about 60mph even though it's posted 55. A few other cars roared past us since that stretch is pretty flat.
Going slower and paying more attention to the road and adding more visibility (headlights and fog lights on etc.) can help you avoid an accident, but sometimes the accidents are inevitable and they get you no matter what you do, as if they are aimed at you. They can even hit you when you are parked.

It will probably be cheaper (by about $1,000) to fix it yourself than to have it fixed at a shop because you keep the whole claim payment, avoid paying the deductible, and only pay for parts. It will be faster, too, as it will take several weeks to be fixed at a shop. That's what I did when someone smashed my rear combination lamp and scraped my bumper in a parking lot.

Last edited:
My wife was driving around 60mph. We were headed north on Hwy 87 about 5-6 miles south of Grantsburg WI (a whole lotta nothing around there). I was kinda dozing off in the passenger seat and didn't see the darn thing until it slammed into the car.
I cannot understand the insane price of the headlight. New headlights for my 750i were only about $800, an they had a lot of internal parts and mechanisms that they came with, and BMW is known for really high parts prices too.

Wife and I were driving to her parents house for Easter and we nailed a pheasant that flew out from the ditch. Going to have to claim this on insurance since I didn't think this would cost so much. Estimate is $2200 with the headlight alone costing $1150 (holy smokes). Didn't break the headlight but broke all of the mounting brackets and the bumper got some paint damage and was tweaked a bit.

View attachment 97299
View attachment 97294View attachment 97295View attachment 97296View attachment 97297View attachment 97298
Those projector assemblies are pricey (for most/all models), especially if there's no decent aftermarket for it yet. Be lucky you don't have one of those new whiz bang multifaceted LED headlights.

Have you done a thorough search to see what's out there, or is that just the price that the body shop is giving you? Unless there's structural damage where the headlight mounts, this is one of those repairs I'd much rather do myself.

Even if you soak $1,000 into it, assuming you have a $500 deductible, you'll come out way ahead in the long run given what they'll sock you for in extra premiums the next 3-5 years due to the claim. I can't really see anything wrong with the bumper, could be just a broken plastic fastener based on what you described.

Back