Hit 3000: keep the StartUp, or switch to GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just turned over 3000 in my Subaru 2.5l on the StartUp. I would not worry at all about 3000 in a Suby if it weren't for the fact that I drive like it is your car, not mine. It sees redline mutiple times per day, and I drive a canyon road hard on my way to work every day. It is a 30 mile trip each way, and the way home I take the freeway.

I drive hard. I was going to go to 5000 on the StartUp, but I have a green glow emenating from the garage. Should I keep the Castrol, and if so, how much longer?

Nate

Go for it!
smile.gif

Go for it keep it, or go for it change it?
grin.gif

BTW, I have a $10 Amsoil filter in there too.

OK, that will give me time to find another 6 bottles. Plus, I was going to do a UOA on the StartUp for you all at 5000.

Then again, I woke up wondering if today will be the day I switch to GC

rolleyes.gif
lol.gif

Unless your driving falls under "severe" category, you can keep using this oil for up to 7500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first.

"Driving hard" does not qualify as severe. If anything, it impacts the viscosity you should be using (as in 10W-40) but not how fast your oil ages.

Those FHI engineers are smart folks -- trust them. Read your owner's manual.

Id greatly appreciate a UOA on the startup at any mileage...I have that in my truck, but dont rack up the miles fast enough.

My guess is that since apparently startup is a euro product (magnatec), its using very similar synthetic additives as compose the GC.

Dont worry about the driving hard... Supposedly castrol uses some of the most shear resistent VIIs out there. And the start up oil is supposedly something special, really helping reduce wear. I know my truck cranks the first cylinder faster with the startup in it than it did using GTX.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by joatmon:
Suby: 6 qts. of GC every 6k.

Nate: 2.25 oz. of CB every morning.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

cheers.gif
Yes sir, you know it!

pscholte, I have not done a UOA. Given that I am at 3000 now, at what point should I do one? 4000? Keep in mind that money is an issue here...

Also, are you saying that I should do a change with StartUp, or keep the StartUp for 6000?

quote:

Originally posted by poison:

quote:

Originally posted by joatmon:
Suby: 6 qts. of GC every 6k.

Nate: 2.25 oz. of CB every morning.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

cheers.gif
Yes sir, you know it!

pscholte, I have not done a UOA. Given that I am at 3000 now, at what point should I do one? 4000? Keep in mind that money is an issue here...

Also, are you saying that I should do a change with StartUp, or keep the StartUp for 6000?

If money is an issue treat your Startup OCIs as "freebies" (no UOAs). I meant change the Startup at 3000 and then at 6000 (after one more OCI with a new batch of Startup) treat your motor to The Elixer.
grin.gif

Hmm, I'm tempted to tread on thin ice here and get a UOA at 4000, then follow blackstones advice: hopefully I'd be able to keep going to 5000 or so to offset the cost of the UOA.

I have been a lurker here for a while and gotten good advice and laughs, and kinda want to give back a little in the form of something a bunch here want: that elusive StartUp UOA.

Or I will do a change but keep my Amsoil filter in there, it can do WAY more than 3000 miles.

Nate

PS: if I do the UOA, I have no idea how to get the sample besides just cleaning around the plug really well and loosening it enough to get slow flow. Any Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back