Highlander Swap

Our lemon 2019 Highlander was finally swapped out a little before 1 year of ownership. We chose to pay the difference to upgrade to the Hybrid model so we now have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid AWD. 2.5l I4 takes 0w16. After all the engine issues in our 2019 we will be changing the oil every 5k miles which will be about every 3 months. Mobil 1 0W16 seems to be the cheapest and easiest to get since it’s in stock at the local Walmart. Anyone own a Camry with this engine that has tried different brands? I see Valvoline is the thinnest and Castrol seems to be the thickest. Valvoline and Castrol are API SP and Mobil 1 is SN+. We put 100 miles on it yesterday and averaged about 34MPG at 81MPH. It’s so much of an upgrade from the 2019. It has an app you can remote start your car see the fuel gauge and miles to empty. Turn on hazards and lock and unlock the car. You can even see where it’s parked on a map in the Toyota App. The 2019 felt more solid and truck like while this one the suspension is kinda squishy and it feels more like a Jeep Compass than a Midsize 3 row. It’s got better acceleration than you would expect from such a heavy I4.

That is interesting that your 2019 Highlander would feel different than your 2020 Highlander. But you did good upgrading to the Hybrid. Sounds like a good choice for oil. The good part is Toyota doesn't do these manufacturer spec. or certification that you have to look for. About any 0w16 will do. I think your still good to go 10,000 miles, unless your a severe user, then the 5,000 miles would be a good change. What exactly was all wrong with the 2019? The electric motors give it the better acceleration.

Difference in driving dynamics could be the result of the extra weight of the Hybrid System and Battery Pack. I always thought the older Highlanders drove more like a Camry Station Wagon than a Truck.

Mobil said oils such as M1 EP have met the current SP GF-6 standard since 2012. I will be surprised if the SP GF-6B labeled M1 is any different from the current M1 0W-16 other than packaging.

If you are more comfortable with 5,000 mi changes start there. Can always go to Toyota's recommended 1 year or 10,000 mi when you are more comfortable with the way the current vehicle performs. You could also run an analysis or two after break-in to help your confidence level in the lubricant.

The Highlander was completely redesigned for MY 20 so it’s all new that plus the hybrid is why it’s different. Our old one threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles so they put a new small block in it. Then it was leaking oil so they ordered a gasket kit and replaced some gaskets. Then it blew the head gasket then the fuel pump went out and the speedometer became off by about 3 or 4 mph the the fuel door wouldn’t open. It was definitely a problem plagued 11 months of ownership. We purposefully bought the MY19 because we didn’t want to test the new redesign. I’m thinking there is no way this Highlander will be as bad as the last. We do fall under a few of the severe use categories like cargo pod and short trips. The old one didn’t have either of those because it didn’t have a roof rack and we had our groceries delivered. It’s definitely been a stressful ownership that is a relief to be over.

The Highlander was completely redesigned for MY 20 so it’s all new that plus the hybrid is why it’s different. Our old one threw a rod bearing at 2,700 miles so they put a new small block in it. Then it was leaking oil so they ordered a gasket kit and replaced some gaskets. Then it blew the head gasket then the fuel pump went out and the speedometer became off by about 3 or 4 mph the the fuel door wouldn’t open. It was definitely a problem plagued 11 months of ownership. We purposefully bought the MY19 because we didn’t want to test the new redesign. I’m thinking there is no way this Highlander will be as bad as the last. We do fall under a few of the severe use categories like cargo pod and short trips. The old one didn’t have either of those because it didn’t have a roof rack and we had our groceries delivered. It’s definitely been a stressful ownership that is a relief to be over.

Sounds like manufacturing defect plus quality of mechanical work when repaired. It happens even with Toyota. Sounds like you realize they are not all that way since you went with another Highlander. Sorry that you had to go through it and hope this one is flawless.

Back