Highest-paying trade jobs in 2024, according to Indeed

Yea-let the parents and administration micro manage teachers more than they try to do already with no union to back you up. Teaching is a whole different ballgame that you can't possibly understand unless you have been in education.
Coming at this from the higher ed side...

I was never more happy for a union when one particular administrator turned against me and made my life miserable including incessant micro-managing and holding tenure over my head.

What the union did was step in and put pressure on this particular administrator to follow the rules and written procedures...nothing more and nothing less. Yes, the union was ready to fight, but really all it took was someone from the state-level union meeting with the college president and outlining what had been going on. After that, I started getting objectively evaluated, was held to the same standards as everyone else(not make up rules as you go) and actually ended up getting a promotion out of the whole deal. Aloe bng the way, the union connected me with resources to help me be a better educator.

So, that's what an education union did for me...

Coming at this from the higher ed side...

I was never more happy for a union when one particular administrator turned against me and made my life miserable including incessant micro-managing and holding tenure over my head.

What the union did was step in and put pressure on this particular administrator to follow the rules and written procedures...nothing more and nothing less. Yes, the union was ready to fight, but really all it took was someone from the state-level union meeting with the college president and outlining what had been going on. After that, I started getting objectively evaluated, was held to the same standards as everyone else(not make up rules as you go) and actually ended up getting a promotion out of the whole deal. Aloe bng the way, the union connected me with resources to help me be a better educator.

So, that's what an education union did for me...
My wife was in teaching for many years. Unfortunately as my previous post implied-your situation would become more common if not for unions.
Again as you know-so many dynamics specific to teaching that many cannot understand.

My gut feeling is that this chart is a very flawed study by Indeed (maybe much of what is published today is very flawed).

Nonetheless, it is interesting to look at and thought provoking when talking about what trades pay to young people making career decisions. Two of the most surprising items in the list were the dental hygienist and electrician. I had no idea dental hygienist was a top paying field (again-likely flawed stats), and electrician was not a better paying field (can't stress enough likely flawed numbers).

Want to stress I think the below data may have been published by a guy in his mom's basement- but still thought provoking.

• Ultrasonographer: $131,161
  • Respiratory therapist: $104,437
  • Dental hygienist: $99,013
  • Construction manager: $88,319
  • Aircraft mechanic: $82,846
  • Cable technician: $70,714
  • Industrial mechanic: $69,637
  • Solar installer: $69,442
  • Real estate appraiser: $64,075
  • Electrician: $62,739
  • Licensed practice nurse: $59,125
  • Wind turbine technician: $58,005

• Elevator and escalator installer: $100,060
  • Electrical power line installer: $85,900
  • Aircraft mechanics technician: $76,260
  • Boilermaker: $73,840
  • Telecommunications installer: $69,040
  • Ironworker: $68,220
  • Pipefitter, plumber and steamfitter: $67,840
  • Electrician: $67,810
  • Wind turbine technician: $65,380
  • Millwright: $64,310

Hopefully some unemployed folks with an Art History degree reads this article.

Last edited:
Would like to see how those compare to what a starting teacher makes.
I checked my local district. Fresh out of college it's $51,031, which would equal around $68-$70k for a 12 month employee. So decent enough. They cap out at $92,165, which is around $10k a month. Pretty in line with some of the other higher skilled trades.

I checked my local district. Fresh out of college it's $51,031, which would equal around $68-$70k for a 12 month employee. So decent enough. They cap out at $92,165, which is around $10k a month. Pretty in line with some of the other higher skilled trades.
What is the degree requirement? Here it’s a 4 year degree. UPS driver here makes 100k +. And living with a teacher, good teachers work 13 months a year.

What is the degree requirement? Here it’s a 4 year degree. UPS driver here makes 100k +. And living with a teacher, good teachers work 13 months a year.
I would assume some sort of educational degree. Bachelors. Then there is a lane for Masters and steps up to 30 years of service. I think the last contract they were getting 4.5% raises.

That's another issue. People don't understand how much after hours-summer vacation time teachers spend "prepping".

I would assume some sort of educational degree. Bachelors. Then there is a lane for Masters and steps up to 30 years of service. I think the last contract they were getting 4.5% raises.
No - not necessarily a degree that is education based. My wife had a degree in Photography. It took her 1 year of additional education (classroom mgmt., etc.) to get the stuff required for a teacher. And of course to pass the state tests.
Requirements may vary by state.

Dunno, I guess it would depend on location. I think it’s 5 around here, which still puts you miles ahead of a teacher where you spend 4 years accruing debt. The system is backwards imo.

UPS gets lots of attention especially with their last union contract, wages / benefits, retirement / pension.

I’ve spoken to a few drivers about the time it took to become a driver, they told me 6-7 years.
250 boxes on average delivered per day and very tight timelines, very few people can do this type of work for 30 years.

UPS gets lots of attention especially with their last union contract, wages / benefits, retirement / pension.

I’ve spoken to a few drivers about the time it took to become a driver, they told me 6-7 years.
250 boxes on average delivered per day and very tight timelines, very few people can do this type of work for 30 years.
Ask them how much a feeder driver makes.

I’ve seen videos on YouTube about college grads with useless degrees not finding employment and upset. Just because they went to a fancy expensive college / university does NOT guarantee you a job.

Most of the jobs on OP list require just a 2 year associates degree (some need license) to get foot in the door and hired. Companies looking for motivated folks to join their organization.

Apprenticeships are another way to gain experience and training. Long time ago I was training apprentices and if they were good we kept them….. if they were bad the paid apprenticeship ended and not hired into full-time position.

When I say apprenticeship….. I meant getting your hands dirty, not getting me coffee.
3 very important things I want in any apprentice:
- Show up to work on time
- Good attitude
- Wanting to learn something new everyday

Last edited:
Dunno, I guess it would depend on location. I think it’s 5 around here, which still puts you miles ahead of a teacher where you spend 4 years accruing debt. The system is backwards imo.

I had a buddy who works for UPS. Need to do two seasonal jobs with them before they'll hire you. He's been with UPS package for 3 years now, still doesn't have his own route and still not guaranteed to work on any given day if no extra routes are available.

Seems like it depends where you work. In the great lakes region, most non-contractor heavy industrial trade jobs pay about $100,000 on straight time, and people who sell every weekend to the company can make mid $200,000's most with pensions and an occasional 401K match. Ultrasonographer is in the inspection trade. I'd say it's a semi-professional trade as some place's inspectors are salary.

Our teachers shape generations, yet we poorly value them.
In my area teachers are paid decently but the higher ups are really cleaning up. My local town has a grammar school and a middle school but no high school (students go to the neighboring town high school because of low enrollment in both towns). The Supt. of the 2 schools (grammar and middle school with probably 500 to 600 students total maybe less) makes $220K a year....there is a 'curriculum coordinator' making close to $200K (who coordinates the curriculum of these 2 small schools)....both schools have assistant Principals and Principals making big salaries etc....and don't forget all pensionable. In other words a top heavy bureaucracy. Whenever a school budget is voted on it's the little guys that are threatened with cuts (bus drivers, aides etc....not the well paid bureaucrats.)
Remember during C-19 when doctors, nurses, police officers, firefighters, Paramedics, EMTs etc...had to go to work while teachers taught 'remotely'. Also, most of these 'Educators' live locally so they don't have gas, tolls etc...to pay like many of the professions listed above who have to commute to work. The toll on the GW Bridge is $17.

PS: I'm sure there are teachers in America that are underpaid but IDK of any in the New York metro area. A degree in 'Education' isn't very difficult to get compared to some others who are paid less and don't have summers and weeks off for holidays.

Last edited:
One has to wonder what the quality of US education would be if teacher salary was comparable to other occupations.
Around here, the high school kids drive better cars than their teachers.
I read an article a couple of years ago which said that in Baltimore there were NO students graduating who were proficient in math and that the average child entering high school was reading at a 3rd to 4th grade reading level (social promotion). Are you suggesting that paying teachers better would change those results?

I read an article a couple of years ago which said that in Baltimore there were NO students graduating who were proficient in math and that the average child entering high school was reading at a 3rd to 4th grade reading level (social promotion). Are you suggesting that paying teachers better would change those results?
Yes, because more people would be drawn to the career. I could teach reading and mathematics better than that but would never have considered teaching as a career due to poor compensation.

I saw what the teachers drove in junior high and high school.
I value education; it saved my bacon. I also tutored a few youngsters in Math back in the day. This was a highly rewarding experience.

Something is wrong if a we are getting those results. It is probably more complex than teacher compensation; it sounds systematic.

Back