Highest-paying trade jobs in 2024, according to Indeed

I employ 3 dental hygienists and they are not anywhere close to $100K. Not a single one of my professional peers knows any hygienist making $100K. If I had to guess in a very busy practice FT $65-70K if they also get some kind of profit sharing and in an exceptional practice in the top 1% maybe around $100K. My guess for average is $55-60K or almost half of what Indeed claims.

Last edited:
As long as it brought in more to the teaching profession, I believe it would. Not sure if and when we will find out. Oftentimes children listen to their teachers more than their parents.

I would hope it would bring more industry professionals to highschool and colleges. We'd have to hope the teachers can properly teach instead of having a death-by-powerpoint course and we'd have to hope the administrators actually care about education instead of statistics and sports to make themselves look good.

Would like to see how those compare to what a starting teacher makes.

It's something like $35-40k/year here for a new elementary teacher. A lot of them have second jobs to make ends meet as well.

I would hope it would bring more industry professionals to highschool and colleges. We'd have to hope the teachers can properly teach instead of having a death-by-powerpoint course and we'd have to hope the administrators actually care about education instead of statistics and sports to make themselves look good.

It's something like $35-40k/year here for a new elementary teacher. A lot of them have second jobs to make ends meet as well.
I know mid-40 year old elementary school teachers in NYS making $135k. Here in central MA a mid-career elementary teacher is making around $90K.

I know mid-40 year old elementary school teachers in NYS making $135k. Here in central MA a mid-career elementary teacher is making around $90K.

$135k here is around a principal's pay is, where they may jump into superintendent. The building 'janitors' (building maintenance/engineers/technicians) is around $135k as well after 30 years.

I think BITOG influencer is near the bottom
There are times I wonder what is it that we can do with LinkedIn connects. Some folks I connected to in the old days are at 500k+ and I guess they have the ability to influence

I agree teachers should be compensated competitively. I am not sure tripling the pay of every public school teacher will result in measurable increases in reading, math, or science scores for the students.
It would increase the competition for those jobs thus flushing out the lower producing teachers.

As long as it brought in more to the teaching profession, I believe it would. Not sure if and when we will find out. Oftentimes children listen to their teachers more than their parents.

Teachers saved me from myself. I remember this little German Physics teacher with thick glasses. She allowed me to spout my thoughts and then calmly said, "Let's try this..." She lovingly demonstrated how wrong my thoughts were. I was blown away.

No… paying bunches more money won’t change the end result…

My wife is a school teacher…. High school in a decent county where we grew up.
She also teaches dual enrollment aka community college English that high school students can take…

Anyone want to guess how you blank that up very nicely?

Do gooder morons putting kids in those supposedly much higher level classes and those kids DON’T belong there….

All in the name of equity..

Not based on. MERIT.. Not based on past performance…

It’s STUPID…

Parents or lack there of is the biggest road block to student success…. RBW … raised by wolves…

And for the record the overwhelming vast majority of teachers I had when I was younger were at least good or really good.

Last edited:
I am retiring in 76 days. I formally applied at over a dozen schools across the country, and also emailed a resume and cover letter to the school principals.

I applied exclusively for positions that were vacant. I only received three acknowledgements of my applications, zero acknowledgementa of my email from a single school principal.

Not sure the lack of response from a single principal was not that they didn't like to review my resume, I speculate they are overwhelmed with other issues and instruction to students has taken a back seat.
You couldn't be more wrong.

The first and foremost point is that principles like to hire from either a referral-or from within the District. Secondly-just because an opening appears on a website-does not actually mean there is real attempt to fill it-before doing what I mentioned above. Many districts requiring the opening to be published-even if no real attempt is made to hire someone from the outside.

The HR department usually handles all initial contact-as there are hiring/interview rules that must be followed. You are not going to email a resume-walk in off the street in to a principals office and be interviewed.

Someone can pass this on to GON-as he will not see my post......

No… paying bunches more money won’t change the end result…

My wife is a school teacher…. High school in a decent county where we grew up.
She also teaches dual enrollment aka community college English that high school students can take…

Anyone want to guess how you blank that up very nicely?

Do gooder morons putting kids in those supposedly much higher level classes and those kids DON’T belong there….

All in the name of equity..

Not based on. MERIT.. Not based on past performance…

It’s STUPID…

Parents or lack there of is the biggest road block to student success…. RBW … raised by wolves…

And for the record the overwhelming vast majority of teachers I had when I was younger were at least good or really good.
My teachers were good and my public HS has been well above average for the last 50 years. With the latest ranking it was in the 400s. I was pretty interested in school and so in return I was challenged and given a very good education. Maybe the school system where I grew up still has much more ability to do so when compared to where I live today. Today, I live in a town that is a combination of white and blue collar, and very Catholic. This was not the demographics of where I grew up.

All blue collar trades have a entry, mid and high point for wages.

I consider healthcare blue collar careers.

Trades can pay very well.

Last edited:
I am retiring in 76 days. I formally applied at over a dozen schools across the country, and also emailed a resume and cover letter to the school principals.

I applied exclusively for positions that were vacant. I only received three acknowledgements of my applications, zero acknowledgementa of my email from a single school principal.

Not sure the lack of response from a single principal was not that they didn't like to review my resume, I speculate they are overwhelmed with other issues and instruction to students has taken a back seat.

They are probably looking to hire younger applicants and to be honest I don’t blame them…..

This list will also vary greatly depending on the demand in that area as well as the cost of living. I'm guessing an aircraft mechanic at O'Hare in Chicago makes a different salary than a guy working at a small shop in Alabama.
Your guess on aviation mechanic makes perfect logic.

The reality, the American Airline aviation mechanics at ORD, LAX, DCA, JFK, MIA etc all make the same exact pay per hour as the AA mechanics at ELP, BHM, RDU, etc. The reason, a majority of the AA mechanics work at TUL, AA's primary maintenance base. The AA mechanics at TUL have enough weight on the union vote, that AA mechanics do not get paid a differential at the high cost of living stations like those at major metropolitan airports. It is nuts, but that can happen when 51 percent all vote the same, the other 49 percent may not get representation.

Note the above information is from 2008, a friend of mine is an AA mechanic at LAX. We last spoke about this in 2008. Things may have changed since US Air purchased AA and lots of union contracts changed as part of the buyout. In addition, I think AA is outsourcing more maintenance, so not sure if the TUL maintenance facility has as many mechanics currently as were employed at TUL in 2008 and prior.

I agree teachers should be compensated competitively. I am not sure tripling the pay of every public school teacher will result in measurable increases in reading, math, or science scores for the students.
I had some teachers that should be considered a gift or blessing and some that shouldn't be a teacher. Unionized teachers aren' what we need . I will agree .

I had some teachers that should be considered a gift or blessing and some that shouldn't be a teacher. Unionized teachers aren' what we need . I will agree .
Yea-let the parents and administration micro manage teachers more than they try to do already with no union to back you up. Teaching is a whole different ballgame that you can't possibly understand unless you have been in education.

Yea-let the parents and administration micro manage teachers more than they try to do already with no union to back you up. Teaching is a whole different ballgame that you can't possibly understand unless you have been in education.
Teachers and pediatric dentists seem like unlikely bedfellows but as someone who works exclusively with kids and most times under stressful circumstances for the kids and the parents, I know exactly what teachers have to endure in our not my child world.

Reactions: CKN
Back